Harry Potter Props and costumes

here is how it looked this morning:

1398807_545292585550018_69343294_o.jpg

An exciting project, I've been wanting to make some accurate wooden wands like this or a while, but, as ever, I can never find the time. Can't wait to the the FX your going to fit inside!

thanks!

I continued today,and just the handle needs some carving now,I finished the shaft,it will just have to be glued,and colored.
I don't know what to use for the moment.

I lathe mine out of poplar. Used to use clear oak, but it's way too dense.

Here is a Luna Lovegood wand I lathed.
luna_lovegood__s_wand___w_i_p__by_action_figure_opera-d38fx5q.jpg

and finished:
you__re_just_as_sane_as_i_am__by_action_figure_opera-d38vu0w.png

and the earrings to go with it - I sculpted one out of plastic and epoxy, then cast it twice in resin. The leaves are from the fake plants aisle at Hobby Lobby:
luna__s_radish_earrings_by_action_figure_opera-d38a3g7.png

I lathed a Harry Potter wand, and sculpted the bark details onto it with epoxy. I gave it my own flair:
harry_potter__s_wand___v2_wip_by_action_figure_opera-d4mgvu9.jpg

and painted:
harry_s_wand_version_2___wip_by_action_figure_opera-d61gy8v.jpg

Here's a sketch of my take on Ron's wand, which I don't know how I'm actually going to make:
ron__s_wand___take_2___concept_1_by_action_figure_opera-d4oa732.png

Do you guys know how is Lily wand meant to be?

I bought this one, because I thought it would be cool for her, but not sure if we ever see it in the movies x)

62070O.jpg

A bit of an old thread I know, but I've not been on the RPF since it was hacked a while back to thought it was about time to come back.

Anyway; I've just seen this thread so thought I'd share a couple of pics of my Voldemort costume for anyone who may not have seen it yet:
253572_2076602039806_807849_n.jpg

11086_10205169687986949_1433398401773072291_n.jpg

10846047_10205169841990799_2493539694260511290_n.jpg

(Last pic via Jack Kirby)

Thanks Kris,

It was your gorgeous photograph that inspired me to obtain a vial and build the stand to hold it. I guess I need to go out and buy some cognac!:lol

The vertical shaft was a piece of chrome plated copper tubing 3/8" OD and 5/16" ID I had lying around. It's used for plumbing bathroom sinks and came from Home Depot. It was painted semi-gloss black and the top end was threaded 1/8 IPT to accept the brass loop. A 5/16-18 stud was glued into the other end and screws into the base.

The loop was the only part that I was already familiar with. It's a lamp part and came from:
LOOP
The postage was more than the part cost.

The Support Stand (A.K.A. Retort Stand or Laboratory Stand w/Triangular or Tripod base) is a Humboldt H21300.
Humboldt catalog page 12.
Stand from Amazon
It was the smallest profile I could find. Unfortunately it's not as arched as the actual prop. I hope someone else may come across a better match! It comes with a rod which I didn't use.

The clamp was a highly modified Three-Prong Extension Clamp (A.K.A Three Finger- Retort Clamp, or Swivel Clamp) VWR Talon 21572-805.
VWR Talon catalog page
I ordered it from Amazon:
Clamp on Amazon
I ended up cutting off the arm that came with it which is 5/16" diameter and replaced it with a piece of 1/4" dia aluminum rod threaded 8-32 on both ends (also painted black). I replaced the screw and wing nut that originally came with the clamp with the adjustment mechanism from an old drawing compass (I believe it was a Mars-Stadtler). The little rubber cushions were removed and replaced with small cork strips. I used a Caswell Plug-n-plate to plate over the original Nickel finish.

The brass knobs were the most difficult parts to find. They are Cole Hersee 8113-10.
Brass Knobs
I ordered them from:
Boatowners warehouse(alternate source $25 min order)
I had to remove the chrome plating.

The two brass collars I could not find anywhere so I made them from a brass plumbing fitting I found at a well stocked hardware store. I cut the fitting into two pieces and then rounded off the edges. I drilled and tapped the holes to accomodate the knobs and clamp.

Lemolemonuk,

Thanks!

By the time I found out that the vials were for sale, they were no longer available from Juno. I can work with metal, but have no talent for working glass, so I contacted Kevin at Prochaska Galleries who had previously made a beautiful glass Calla Lily for my wife. He agreed to make a vial for me and replicated it from 2 pictures that I emailed to him. The cost was $60 including postage. It's nicely made and a whole lot heavier than it looks! The cork came from Lowes.

ATL
Hi, I recently started looking for the Felix Felices stand and I was wondering if you still have yours. I am looking for the parts that you mentioned but some of the seem to be discontinued. Please let me know if you can help me. Thank you.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back