Harry Potter Death Eater costume FINISHED PHOTOS post #25

Pete SSS

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This project is now finished, scroll to post #25 to see the pics!

I thought it was about time I started a build thread for our Death Eater costume, now that the tunic is pretty much complete.

Here's how it looks today, still a way to go until the costume is finished, but all the tunic needs is a heavy weathering session. My sister has put the tunic together, adapting a pre-existing suit jacket pattern. It is a really lovely thing, wonderfully put together with a lining as well as all the hand embroidery.

Tunic03.jpg

Tunic01.jpg

The outer robe in the second shot here is just a stand in for now, it's NOT the final piece. The final robe is the next job for my seamstress sister. The next thing on my list (as far as this project goes) is the wand belt.

Well there it is, still a fair distance from being finished, but it's well on the way!

There are a couple more photos on my blog, including a nice detail shot of the little clasps we found.

Death Eater Costume - Work in Progress blog page

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Re: Harry Potter Death Eater costume - WIP

Wow, already looks really cool! :thumbsup

Last edited:

Thats fantastic! I've been trying to source out a good pattern for the tunic. I also have to remake the cloak for mine to get that cool open drape effect of the hood.

Nice work - even with the cloak that you say isn't finished yet it looks great and really has the right kind off look/feel to it so I can't wait to see this once it's all done and you've added the weathering. I especially like the clasps you've found - absolutely perfect feel to them. Nice work

Very NICE indeed. Working on one myself. Looks like I need to get to Hand Sewing some embroidery.

Few questions:

1) What kind of embroidery stitch is that?
2) Did you use elastic on the back of the mask?
3) The neck. Did you make something special for this? What is it made of?

Keep up the work. I think you are ready for opening night myself.

Its great to see you working on a costume to go with your amazing mask, Pete. Looking good so far!

Thanks for your comments guys!

I especially like the clasps you've found - absolutely perfect feel to them. Nice work

Thanks, these took quite some finding. They are the closest we could get our hands on, it's good to know you agree that they look the part!

Very NICE indeed. Working on one myself. Looks like I need to get to Hand Sewing some embroidery.

Few questions:

1) What kind of embroidery stitch is that?
2) Did you use elastic on the back of the mask?
3) The neck. Did you make something special for this? What is it made of?
Thanks,

1) I've talked to my sis and she said she used three different techniques, the main stitch, is a Chain Stitch, the smaller is a backstitch, and we also decided to do some Couching, which is stitching some cord or piping onto the fabric.

2)I rivet leather ties onto the sides of the mask to attach it

3) I bought a cheap "snood" neckwarmer thing from ebay. There is a brand called "Buff" that make the good ones, this is a very cheap version. It's pulled up over my chin and comes over the back of my head, the mask pins it in place. It's just a fabric tube really.

Its great to see you working on a costume to go with your amazing mask, Pete. Looking good so far!

Thanks Iycis, I had a sneaky look at your Azkaban Bellatrix the other day, it's coming along nicely!

Thanks! I'm going to look into these stitching techniques and get things going ASAP. I appreciate it!

I'll be keeping an eye on your progress Pete :)

I need to get a robe sorted myself, so may be after your advice............

I'm sad to say there's not much progress been made on this for a while. I've got some riding boots all ready to be wrapped up, but not enough hours in the day to do the wrapping!

Ok, There has been quite a bit of progress on this over the last few weekends I'm happy to say! I still don't have any final complete costume photos that I'm happy with, so those will have to wait a bit longer, but I can show off my finished boots.

Here's the reference I was using, from an exhibition photo of the Order of the Phoenix costumes.

Boots.jpg

And here are my boots

IMG_1354.jpg

I made these using a pair of rubber riding boots as a base, then wrapping them with strips of imitation leather. There will be a detailed breakdown of how I put them together on my blog pretty soon.

This was a pretty simple job to do, but I've got to say I'm really happy with the final outcome.

Next up will be the wand belt, which is also finished now!

Re: Harry Potter Death Eater costume - WIP - FINISHED BOOTS

Nice one Pete :)

Looking forward to seeing that wand belt. I need to do one too, but have no idea where to start! I'll be looking to you for tips :D

Nice work Pete - the boots have always been notouriously hard to narrow down so it's really interesting to see that reference pic! I dont suppose you happen to have a wider angle pic of that costume? I'd be interested to see which Death Eater it's for.

Nice work!

Thanks fellas,

Here you go Kessa, here's the full shot I cropped the boot pic from. I can't upload the full res pic I'm afraid, photobucket can't handle it! It's Lucius' pair, but you can see that the other Death Eater has the same design, so I'm assuming they are fairly generic.

voldemort.jpg

I'll see about getting my wand belt pics up soon Nobby.

ah, silly me - I know that pic well; It's in my Flickr ref library.

Here is a pic of my belt rig. Again, I'll get some info on how I put it together online soon, but basically I cast the strap ends up in pewter, then cut up a pir of leather belts and fixed them together again with some steel rings.

IMG_1349.jpg

I've just finihsed putting together some final photos of the full costume too. I'll post them here soon!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back