Han Solo Force Awakens Blaster is HFC (and now also a Maurshin) m712 airsoft pistol

Re: Han Solo Force Awakens Blaster is HFC m712 airsoft pistol

Does anyone else LOVE that weathered, rusted look?!

NOT an HFC there, for sure.

Likely a stunt?

Also the new 'mystery knob' looks knurled.

Great picture and thank you for sharing. This picture definately proves an HFC was used. In my earlier post I showed factory markings on the HFC hammer matched the teaser poster. Now you can clearly see the grips and screw hardware are HFC. The number of grooves (11) also match the display. The select fire switch on the left side is removable. I believe a simple conversion was done to convert this M712 design to a C96 look. Here is a picture of my switch removed and a example of a conversion done with plastic panels. Overseas I have seen conversion panels produced out of thin metal.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18609

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Photo from Star Wars Launch Bay at Disneyland:

http://i.imgur.com/KZlH9Oi.jpg
Source

This really conflicts me. In one sense I'm glad it's easier to replicate...

BUT... I'm more appalled that the prop department couldn't get it closer to the original, and did

a. a terrible job overall reimagining the original blaster prop or...

b. used inaccurate replica parts for their new version.

Was this on purpose? WHY?

This smacks of Anakin and Obi ROTS sabers to me. Kinda sorta like the originals... but not really.

Would the HFC 196mm 12rd short mag be the same as or fit the M712? If so I may have found a place with 24 of them. Of course there's no photo. At $50+ after shipping, I dont want to guess.

Yes, that will mag will fit. I ordered through that vendor and its the one Im using now.

BUT... I'm more appalled that the prop department couldn't get it closer to the original, and did

This smacks of Anakin and Obi ROTS sabers to me. Kinda sorta like the originals... but not really.

Just an example of "that'll do" having to take priority, they probably needed about 5 firing (airsoft) examples for filming. It will look good on screen, but in the light of day not as good as the ANH one (which had a more authentic quality with the genuinely aged firearm as a base)

I'm an object nerd as well as a Star Wars fan, so to me the material quality of this prop isn't as high as the OT ones (airsoft base, plastic handle etc). But for the guys making the film, it is part of the job, so I'm not annoyed, I just don't want to make one :lol *wallet sighs in relief*

Last edited:

Woof. Yeah, this is pretty bad. I do kinda like the super aged, rusted look ... but that's about the only thing I like. I found it a little easier to swallow that it was supposed to be a different base gun (M712) ... perhaps Han's old C96-based blaster gave out, and he recreated it on a newer, slightly updated DL-44 base, robbing his old blaster for parts (begrudgingly, because his older model had been discontinued or something) ... but it's obvious from both the details and the plaque that they are suggesting that this IS the original ANH blaster. Pretty disappointing. They didn't even swap out those grips. I mean if the prop builders had even just glanced over the DL-44 threads on this forum they could have done a better job. What's with that mystery disk? To be fair though, this is one of the first things I've seen about this film that actually disappoints me.

Well they say its a "design" he has carried for a long time, not the exact blaster he has carried all this time. Could still be a different blaster from ANH.

I figure they went with the general feel of the ANH hero as the most iconic DL-44, but they probably didn't feel as bound to the details since his ESB and ROTJ blasters (and even the Greedo killer which definitelyis supposed to be the same gun) are so totally different.

Does it have the notch on the side?

Yes, it has the notch on the right side. Reference my post on page 5 for a picture compared to a MGC. The quality of the HFC Mauser and replacement mag are excellent. Can't stress enough what a great pistol HFC has produced. I have seen this pistol convincingly converted to a C96 style (as production has done). Unfortunately the conversion panels appear to be no longer for sale.

Looks to me like the mystery disk is inspired by the knurled knob from the esb mount

Re: Han Solo Force Awakens Blaster is not a c96

There are two versions of the HFC. One is non-blowback and is cheaper and easier to find. The other uses the gas propellant to move the breech.

Have we determined with certainty which version of the HFC was used? Has anyone personally seen a blowback version of the HFC?

I'm starting to wonder if the listings that describe a blowback HFC are incorrect. I can't find any youtube videos showing the blowback action, and when I bought what I thought was a GBB version, it turned out to be disappointingly not (though in hindsight the Amazon listing was very vague).

I don't know if this is helpful, and it probably isn't, but either because it's bragging or because it may be helpful I want to pass the info on...

in my job I happened to get 20 minutes to talk to an actor who got to do a set visit of TFA. He worked with JJ previously. He said that he was able to sneak, hold, and fire Han Solo's blaster. It obviously wasn't one that fired, must have been a stunt version, because he was able to get his hands on it and I know plenty or armorers, if it fired blanks or anything no one was getting their hands on it. He said it was all metal and when he pulled the trigger a red laser light would shine out of the barrel.

Now that hat I have typed it the info seems even less helpful, so let's call it bragging. I would just say who it was, but he said he wasn't supposed to play with the gun, and just in case I don't want him to get in any trouble.

BUT... I'm more appalled that the prop department couldn't get it closer to the original

While I fundamentally agree with you, you have to admit the new crew did much better replicating the Hero blaster than the guys did back in 1976 with an MGC and Grease Gun parts, lol. You don't really get a good look at the props in the original trilogy -- at least in the films themselves. If you had we wouldn't have had to spend so many years wasting countless hours hunting for just the right fire extinguisher -- so the overall concept should undoubtedly work on screen.

So, to my eye at least, this works exceptionally well even though the compound curves are off, the bull barrel is dodgy, and the scalloping on the flash hider is too deep, etc. It gives us another variation on the blaster to obsess over and it's fun to see that has already started :)

It's funny, the flash hider reminds me very much of the ones Boba Debt used to make.

While I fundamentally agree with you, you have to admit the new crew did much better replicating the Hero blaster than the guys did back in 1976 with an MGC and Grease Gun parts, lol. You don't really get a good look at the props in the original trilogy -- at least in the films themselves. If you had we wouldn't have had to spend so many years wasting countless hours hunting for just the right fire extinguisher -- so the overall concept should undoubtedly work on screen.

So, to my eye at least, this works exceptionally well even though the compound curves are off, the bull barrel is dodgy, and the scalloping on the flash hider is too deep, etc. It gives us another variation on the blaster to obsess over and it's fun to see that has already started :)

It's funny, the flash hider reminds me very much of the ones Boba Debt used to make.

there's something to that... but at the same time, if WE can get as close as we can... without official LFL image archives to root through (I know the pics exist), the I don't understand the choices they made.

Hell even a denix would have worked if they needed something super readily available.

Photo from Star Wars Launch Bay at Disneyland:

http://i.imgur.com/KZlH9Oi.jpg
Source

Glad the data plaque states a design carried since before the Civil War which gives credence to the idea that Solo had many versions of the DL-44.

For some reason, I thought the silver detail on the left side was because there was an "Imperial disk" that was glued on but later fell off leaving the machined circle. I guess the big knob is a good link to the ESB DL-44.

It is good that they used an airsoft and not a real firearm so builders can get a close to screen used as possible. But for the purists that wanted real steel, I say should be happy with what we have and that the stunt pistol didn't end up being a Rubies repaint.

I agree completely. Looks like a newbie job. Someone in the prop dept HAD to at least have seen the Adam Savage video.???

But I have to say, that removing the selector and adding the "pockets" on the side panel does look really good.
I've always disliked the look of the m712 because of the smooth side panels. Looks cheap.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back