HALF-LIFE 2 - Gravity Gun - Realistic Replica - 18.12. - VALVE HIT ME UP!

Re: HALF - LIFE 2 - Gravity Gun Replica - 11.10. - She's ALIVE!!

I see I haven't missed much... :p

Your crystals have turned out really well, although from the pictures i'm wondering if maybe they're looking a little bit too...clean?...when lit up?

Could just be the photographs though. They look spot on when the lights aren't on.

Re: HALF - LIFE 2 - Gravity Gun Replica - 11.10. - She's ALIVE!!

I see I haven't missed much... :p

Your crystals have turned out really well, although from the pictures i'm wondering if maybe they're looking a little bit too...clean?...when lit up?

Could just be the photographs though. They look spot on when the lights aren't on.

Not really :p ;)

It's a little bit from both to be honest. When having the LED's running on full brightness the crystals do kinda look quite "clean" on the inside as if there were not much of texture.
If turned down a few amounts the light breaks quite nicely and you're able to see all the inner texturing.
But the photographs do indeed a good job in erasing the actual look of them :(

HALF - LIFE 2 - Gravity Gun Replica - 27.10. - Finishing up!

Hey guys! :)

It's been almost three weeks since the last update so there's definitely time for another one, right? RIGHT!
That's probably the last one before she is completely finished and I couldn't be happier :) So let's move on with the pictures!

I played around with the leds a little bit and cranked them up to 100% of power which make the crystals really come to life.
As this gun will be used as subtle lamp in my living room the leds will be turned down to around 50% whereas a press on the little button on the left barrel should cycle between different modes and levels in brightness.

_MG_7013.jpg

_MG_7017.jpg

_MG_7030.jpg

_MG_7020.jpg

The next thing on the list was creating the three prongs attached to the front element.
Those were made from 8mm thick acrylic and additional thinner sheets to give them a little bit more of depths and detail.

_MG_7086.jpg

_MG_7093.jpg

Those thinner sheets not only make up for a little bit of additional detail but figure also as cover for the cables which are running from the leds in the arms inside the main chamber of the gun to be controlled via the Arduinos. Therefore some channels had to be milled into the thicker pieces.

_MG_7097.jpg

Since for my upcoming project a 3D-printer is essential I treated myself with one and had me a mount printed for the gun to rest on :)
Needs to be sanded, filled and then later on casted from crystal clear resin.

_MG_7099.jpg

...oh yeah, and of course there was an additional stand needed for the barrel to sit on :)

_MG_7191.jpg

Onto with the prongs. After running the cables through the channels the prongs got assembled and some thin washerswhere glued onto each side.

_MG_7106.jpg

_MG_7110.jpg

_MG_7122.jpg

_MG_7111.jpg

_MG_7131.jpg

WOHOOO! :)

Later that day I managed to find myself some time to work on the cages which enclose the crystals on their top side.
I had them glued already since I was working on the main chassis of the gun but never got to it to actually finish them up. So now the time has finally come ;)

_MG_7138.jpg

_MG_7139.jpg

_MG_7142.jpg

The next day, after the paint had dried I mounted them all around the gun and was surprised how well it actually fit together hahaha :lol I expected the worst to be honest.

_MG_7151.jpg

_MG_7155.jpg

And since I did receive a few messages asking how long the gun actually was... it's EXACTLY 600mm long without the prongs.

_MG_7172.jpg

_MG_7202.jpg

So there are a few things which are left to be done:
  • Having the cables of the prongs lead inside the main chamber.
  • Finish up the prongs itself.
  • Hook up all the cables to their appropiate ports on the Arduinos.
  • Install the ON/OFF-Switch, DC-jack and button
  • Paint the rest of the gun.

Those tasks require a good day of work so the next update you guys will see is probably the end of this project :)
Hope you're enjoying it so far! :)

Cheers to all of you!

Last edited:
Re: HALF - LIFE 2 - Gravity Gun Replica - 27.10. - Finishing up (nearly)!

@PropBox wanted to let you know I haven't been around and just caught up with your progress. This is unreal! Such great work. Unfortunately life has a funny way of stopping progress on things you want to do. I am hoping to be able to update my project sooner than later. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: HALF - LIFE 2 - Gravity Gun Replica - 27.10. - Finishing up (nearly)!

@PropBox wanted to let you know I haven't been around and just caught up with your progress. This is unreal! Such great work. Unfortunately life has a funny way of stopping progress on things you want to do. I am hoping to be able to update my project sooner than later. Cheers

First of all thanks a lot! :) This project is finished up done since two weeks but unfortunately I haven't had even time to take one shot of it since I'm wandering around searching for a proper location to make the final shots in.
And until this isn't done I cannot get started with the new project so I know exactly what you're talking about.

Cannot wait to see how your ASHPD is coming along :)

HALF - LIFE 2 - Gravity Gun Replica - 07.12. - She's done!! Eyecandy shots!

She's done, finally! After nearly half a year :)

I had some struggles to get the electronics working in the last days but after I got it done I could concentrate on the final paintjob.
Last week I headed to an old facility a few minutes away from my home which got shut down and was "open" ( ;) ) for taking some final eye-candy shots of the Gravity Gun.

I'd like to thank all of my friends who supported me on the way along this project and my amazing girlfriend who stayed calm even though my countless mood swings which kept appearing towards the end of the project . Was a though last weeks :lol
And of course thanks to all of you ever so much who spent their time looking at my worklog and spread some motivation and criticism. It really gets appreciated!

Now... here's the stuff you have been waiting for. Enjoy! :)

_MG_7449.jpg

_MG_7451.jpg

_MG_7521.jpg

_MG_7526.jpg

_MG_7573.jpg

_MG_7530.jpg

_MG_7520.jpg

_MG_7535.jpg

_MG_7635.jpg

_MG_7515.jpg

_MG_7614.jpg

_MG_7615.jpg

_MG_7561.jpg

_MG_7508.jpg

_MG_7490.jpg

_MG_7477.jpg

And a quick shot to get an idea of how big it actually is :D

_MG_7594.jpg

Again, thanks so much for having a look! :)

Cheers from Austria,
Mario

Last edited:
Re: HALF - LIFE 2 - Gravity Gun Replica - 07.12. - She's done!! Eyecandy shots!

Unreal! You've really nailed it. Any video or did you opt to not add sound?

This is so frickin cool, I feel like I am looking at the game model... But way more awesome!

Your craftsmanship is really astounding! The whole thing looks so detailed and real, and the paint job just elevates it to a new level.

Unreal! You've really nailed it. Any video or did you opt to not add sound?

Video will be coming soon! As far as for the sound goes I decided not to stuff in any speakers. It's a silent model and acts as a relaxing night light at the moment :)

This is so frickin cool, I feel like I am looking at the game model... But way more awesome!

Thanks Nathanial!

Your craftsmanship is really astounding! The whole thing looks so detailed and real, and the paint job just elevates it to a new level.

Thank you ever so much! Regarding the paint job... this images you see up there are actually from a second shoot.
After the first one I was so embarrassed with the images since the paint did just look SO fake. I took it home with me again an repainted the whole model in just one day haha.

:D

Re: HALF-LIFE 2 - Gravity Gun - Realistic Replica - 07.12. - She's done!! Eyecandy sh

That is magnificent!

Re: HALF-LIFE 2 - Gravity Gun - Realistic Replica - 07.12. - She's done!! Eyecandy sh

Beautiful! What an amazing build. Even the paint and weathering is just fantastic!

love the game, WOW! your prop is friggin AWESOME!! :love thanks for sharing!!

Fabulous :) I can't believe you repainted it though! Looking forward to your next project even more now ;)

Now get that badboy on /r/halflife and /r/valve for more internet karma!

Beautiful build for sure and the paint is Pro-Job A+:cool

That is magnificent!

Beautiful! What an amazing build. Even the paint and weathering is just fantastic!

love the game, WOW! your prop is friggin AWESOME!! :love thanks for sharing!!

Fabulous :) I can't believe you repainted it though! Looking forward to your next project even more now ;)

Now get that badboy on /r/halflife and /r/valve for more internet karma!

Beautiful build for sure and the paint is Pro-Job A+:cool

Incredible, you sir are craftsman!

Beautiful...thanks for sharing the journey.

Thank you guys ever so much for spreading so much positive feedback on my build.
You cannot imagine how happy I am on how this turned out since I never expected it to exceed my set goals.
Also I'm really glad a redid the whole paintjob and didn't show anyone the rust effect I had before :lol

I received a ton of PM's asking me how I did the rust paint job. If I ever get to it I will make a "tutorial" on that and publish it here on the forums. Cannot harm I guess! :)

Currently though I'm trying to get some video stuff together to make a short film of the Gravity Gun. Mostly to see the all the lights in action and to give you a better understanding of the effects. Not sure when this is done since it depends on mostly the gear I need to borrow or lend from somewhere.

However... an upcoming project is on the horizon. Planning to reveal this by next week :)

And again, thank all of you who joined me on this build!
If there are any updates on this project here, I'm making sure they will find their way in this thread.

Cheers from the soon snowy Austria!
Mario

Man, I would absolutely LOVE to see you do a tutorial on this. Or, at the very least, some 3D files for those of us that want to make our own.

Man, I would absolutely LOVE to see you do a tutorial on this. Or, at the very least, some 3D files for those of us that want to make our own.

Hopefully I will get my head free after Christmas to actually start working on a in-depth tutorial for weathering; however I will not make any 3D model files available for download, sorry!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back