Joek3rr

Master Member
So I'm wanting to start tinkering with my Graflex. But the big question is have is how to do the grips? I'd love it if people would share their preferred method. Do you like to use glue or double sided tape? Do you eyeball it, use a paper guide, or 3D printed guide?

I definitely prefer double sided tape as it is easy to remedy and less messy if you make a mistake. I used to eyeball it when positioning but on my last
effort, when putting the Rey Graflex together, it wasn't quite right. To fix this, I purchased a 3d printed grip guide from Shapeways and I replaced the old grips with Roy's new resin grips. It worked a treat!! :)

Attachments

• Rey lightsaber.jpg
    Rey lightsaber.jpg
    597.8 KB · Views: 436
I’ve both eyeballed it and used 3D guides. The former works well if you’re patient and do one grip at a time. I also vouch for E6000.

As for a guide you can always wrap tape around the bottom edge of the tube. Cut the tape even edge to edge so now the piece of tape will fit around the entire circumference of the tube and each end of the tap buts up to itself

Then unwrap it, lay it flat on the table and measure the entire length of it
Divide that length by 7. Use number as a measurement and mark 7 lines. (You’ll only be able to physically mark 6, where the 2 pieces of tape but will be the 7th mark)

Lay the tape now with all the marks on it back on the tube, and mark the tube with a pencil

That’s where all 7 track go

That’s how I’ve always done 7 track

As for a guide you can always wrap tape around the bottom edge of the tube. Cut the tape even edge to edge so now the piece of tape will fit around the entire circumference of the tube and each end of the tap buts up to itself

Divide that length by 7. Use number as a measurement and mark 7 lines. (You’ll only be able to physically mark 6, where the 2 pieces of tape but will be the 7th mark)

Lay the tape now with all the marks on it back on the tube, and mark the tube with a pencil

What a great idea! I always used a printed guide from The Graflex Bank, but I think I like this better! I also used the double-sided, 3M tape, pre-applied to roman's grips. It sticks like a charm.

I think I'll try the E6000 for my next Graflex replica -TFA/TLJ or ANH.

If I had a real GRAFLEX flash, I would use VHB tape. But, as all the ones I've made are on replicas, I used E6000. & it comes in black now?! WOO-HOO!!! & I used the 3D template from Shapeways for placement.

Great idea! And by doing so you've saved like 20-25 bucks over getting something printed. Just make sure you line it up with the end stamping or D-ring/Kobold clip and clamp.

I’m too cheap to buy the one on shape ways, I’m fooling around with printing. Maybe try and print my own

But for right now my tape trick works faster for me

Once I print a jig then that’s the way to go

The tape trick is how I evenly space the holes around drag slicks for the locking screws

IMG_9250.jpg

Works on 200mph race cars, should work fine on a graflex :p

Yeah I've tried them all, epoxy is brittle when dry so tends to knock off the grip easy. Use double sided tape only when using the newer Wannawanga resin TFA/TLJ grips as e6000 can't fully cure under there. If it's the t grips from the OT then e6000 all the way. Like said above less is more. Use a tooth pick when applying and put it on the 2 bits either side of the valley down the middle, don't put the glue all over it as it's only the tips of the valley that affix to the Graflex.. Hope that helps.

Also I use the 3d printed guide as it keeps the grips locked in place and won't slide around. Apply one at a time, hold each one as you go for a minute or 2 then move on to the next one. When they are all done clamp them all in place with the guide still on with elastic bands and leave to cure for 3 days. You don't need to leave the guide on for those 3 days though, that can come off after 24 hours.

Last edited:
I’m too cheap to buy the one on shape ways, I’m fooling around with printing. Maybe try and print my own

But for right now my tape trick works faster for me

Once I print a jig then that’s the way to go

The tape trick is how I evenly space the holes around drag slicks for the locking screws

View attachment 1014836

Works on 200mph race cars, should work fine on a graflex :p

Mate you can buy them direct from the maker - Mike Furth on FB or his Graflex Guide website a tad cheaper. Cheaper than Shapeways. They are a tad more brittle but the work really well. The only thing I wish they did was not make them so symmetrical and more like the prop where everything is a few mm's out from each other.

Edit: Just seen you are printing your own.... if you do one more accurate let me know I'll be down for that. :)

I too have never glued grips. I think I will try the tape trick, and use tape to clamp each grip during cure, but can you only glue one grip at a time, with 3 days cure each= 21 days total?! Also- is it difficult to keep the grips parallel to the tube and to each other?

Yeah I've tried them all, epoxy is brittle when dry so tends to knock off the grip easy. Use double sided tape only when using the newer Wannawanga resin TFA/TLJ grips as e6000 can't fully cure under there. If it's the t grips from the OT then e6000 all the way. Like said above less is more. Use a tooth pick when applying and put it on the 2 bits either side of the valley down the middle, don't put the glue all over it as it's only the tips of the valley that affix to the Graflex.. Hope that helps.

Also I use the 3d printed guide as it keeps the grips locked in place and won't slide around. Apply one at a time, hold each one as you go for a minute or 2 then move on to the next one. When they are all done clamp them all in place with the guide still on with elastic bands and leave to cure for 3 days. You don't need to leave the guide on for those 3 days though, that can come off after 24 hours.

Double sided tape it is! Thanks!

Any tips or tricks for drilling the holes? That's got me rather nervous......

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back