Graflex 2.0 Sabers - Show your work / Talk Electronics

needle nose pliers work really well for the pins

Just tried some with masking tape on the tips and it worked good. Now my issue is all of the hex screws. The 'Let's Build a Graflex' video said 7/64 keys, but my 7/64 allen wrench is no way going to fit. My 1/16 kinda fits, but it feels like it's going to strip it. Can anyone confirm the exact size?

By chance know the brand and model? Curious to know if it was deep enough as it was w/o modification.

Any 1/4" drive 1/8" socket should do but mine is a Wiha. If for some reason it does not fit, you may have too much chrome plating on the inside of the socket. Nothing a very small file can't fix.

Last edited:
1/16 here. Used a brand new one from harbor fright. All of my 1/16 screws are replaced.

Do you by chance know the size/threading? Didn't see screws on TCSS, and the one on KR says you need a taper reamer to alter the hole size.

Any 1/4" drive 1/8" socket should do but mine is a Wiha. If for some reason it does not fit, you may have too much chrome plating on the inside of the socket. Nothing a very small file can't fix.

Thanks. A small local hobby store near me sells that brand. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

No sorry had a flathead here already to replace one the other was KRs and I didn't need to tap anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update on my clamp. I did some gentle wet sanding and cleaning before polishing, using a 320 3M sponge I got at the hobby shop. After that, I used a microfiber cloth and followed the instructions on a can of Mother's. I used it sparingly and didn't overdo it.

Before:
before.jpg

After:
after.jpg

Not a world of difference, but I'm content.

I also got my tool working for the brass pins. Just heated up a 1/8 Allen and jammed it into the previously deformed hex opening.
tool.jpg

Nothing major but I found a threaded rivet, worked it on the lathe and came up with this

20160702_153027.jpg

Also, if anyone needs a pin tool you can get a micro/ precision screwdriver kit from Harbor Freight ($6) or Walgreens ($3). It comes with a 3mm he nut driver.

Awesome work using the allen key!

Just about done w/ my ANH display version, and I ran into what I am hoping is my final issue. The 'bunny ears' and the emitter ring have sort of fallen out of sync. When one is perfectly centered, the other is off by a slight but noticeable amount. When I fiddle with the emitter ring and the ears simultaneously, I can get it close, but then the bunny ears looks permanently pinched close together and the emitter ring sways side to side too easily. Then I noticed this:

2016-07-09_2203.jpg

Thoughts?

Nothing major but I found a threaded rivet, worked it on the lathe and came up with this...

WANT!!! Where'd you get it?

...Thoughts?

Ran in to the same thing because I have to pinch my bunny ears to insert/remove blade and blade plug. I just gently bent the ears out a smidge. Fixed it for me. Aluminum is not the best but it's light :/

Anyone have a good source for the right sized chamber crystal? Spent more than I should have without the results I'd like...

Just the crystal? Do you have dimensions of how big it should be?

WANT!!! Where'd you get it?

Ran in to the same thing because I have to pinch my bunny ears to insert/remove blade and blade plug. I just gently bent the ears out a smidge. Fixed it for me. Aluminum is not the best but it's light :/

Anyone have a good source for the right sized chamber crystal? Spent more than I should have without the results I'd like...

Just the crystal? Do you have dimensions of how big it should be?

Yep. 11mm x 35mm max size works with the Goth Knight chassis with a good friction fit. I've tried multiple vendors on fleabay but can't get the effect I'm looking for... either too clear or to opaque. I'm starting to see why people grow their own and paint them...

Yep. 11mm x 35mm max size works with the Goth Knight chassis with a good friction fit. I've tried multiple vendors on fleabay but can't get the effect I'm looking for... either too clear or to opaque. I'm starting to see why people grow their own and paint them...

Didn't you say you bought some of the crystals from Amazon? Like I showed before the Tamiya clear blue paint does a great job at giving a clear crystal that blue look and when like up looks great!

Didn't you say you bought some of the crystals from Amazon? Like I showed before the Tamiya clear blue paint does a great job at giving a clear crystal that blue look and when like up looks great!

I ordered a few different ones from fleabay but they were all 10mm wide (too small) and either too clear so the light would go through them or too opaque so there was no light diffusion at all. I asked a fleabay vendor out of San Francisco to see if they had the right size aqua quartz crystal and got a response that they found one. I said I would pay the price of 3 crystals ($8.99) for one of the correct size. I'll post pics if it works.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back