GONK . . . or GNK-D2

Thanks guys, I have been away for a while, summer is busy busy busy. I will get back to this little guy after the rush and the heat.

Its been too damn long, but finally making a little progress. Had sort of a major/minor screw up on one of the face bolts, the rubbermaid and I were not getting along and I ended up with the top right bolt in the wrong place. not much I can do to fix it, so for now I will have to live with it. (Not thrilled!!!!) More tomorrow . . .

20422344909_238d63f7ef_c.jpg

20582781876_c4f9b15cb0_c.jpg

20421049848_04e0a211db_c.jpg

20421066870_9007233c23_c.jpg

20422343319_a604d03518_c.jpg

20600007322_4889992f31_c.jpg

Looks like a D-Cinema video projector :) Good work, keep going :)

Yeah, right now it certainly has a "Projector" quality to it. I am hoping once a get a bit further into it, it will appear less like that. We will see. Worse case I can remove the lens and go a different route :)

Yeah, right now it certainly has a "Projector" quality to it. I am hoping once a get a bit further into it, it will appear less like that. We will see. Worse case I can remove the lens and go a different route :)

I like the lens. It adds a point of difference. Most GNKs have a tray of sorts with greeblies on the front. You have done something different, so well done.

Did you have to cut the bottom out to lose the wheels? Or did you manage to find boxes with no wheels? I found black boxes in a local K-Mart with no wheels. I bought two because they were like $5 each, so GNK here we come.

As I want to learn how to fibre-glass, I am thinking using the boxes as molds only, and glassing the two halves together or hinging it to sever as some form of storage unit later. This should solve the seam issue as well without the need to bog and fill the hollow under the rims. I see you have a thick board between yours. Will you lose the rims?

I like the lens. It adds a point of difference. Most GNKs have a tray of sorts with greeblies on the front. You have done something different, so well done.

Did you have to cut the bottom out to lose the wheels? Or did you manage to find boxes with no wheels? I found black boxes in a local K-Mart with no wheels. I bought two because they were like $5 each, so GNK here we come.

As I want to learn how to fibre-glass, I am thinking using the boxes as molds only, and glassing the two halves together or hinging it to sever as some form of storage unit later. This should solve the seam issue as well without the need to bog and fill the hollow under the rims. I see you have a thick board between yours. Will you lose the rims?

Hey there, thanks for the compliment on the lens. I really wanted something, as you say "point of reference" for sure. We took our 2/3rd R2 Builds to Celebration VII in April, and having R2's heads spinning and following people with the Radar Eye really gave the little guy life. I really enjoyed people interacting with it. So when I set out to build the Gonk version, i wanted something similar. I am still toying with the idea of installing some gyro's or something along those lines to make the Eye move; maybe even if it just spins that would be enough. And I picked up some LEDs and an Arduino Uno to assemble behind the lens (controlling multiple LEDs and Colors) in addition to other areas.

Just trying to give the little guy life you know? Its way outside the scope of a typical Gonk, but I figure if I was already breaking the rules why not just go the distance.

I did not remove the bottom due to wheels. The bins are just your standard everyday Rubbermaid bins from Walmart. I cut the opening in the top and bottom to give myself a place I could install a solid wood square on both ends. I wanted something to help with structure and mounting. The rubbermaid is pretty flimsy so i am having to assemble a full "skeleton" of sorts inside. I'll tell you what my friend, I think you 100% have the right idea of fiberglass. I am having a hell of a time with this the way it is!!!!! I will eagerly we awaiting your build and seeing how you fiberglass the structure.

As far as the rims, I will have to keep them. I will dress it up as much as possible to at least give the appearance that it is on purpose. If I cut the trim around the two bins it will just be way to floppy on the inside.

All in all, i think it will work out just fine, but building the structure from scratch is probably the way to go. So I'll finish this, and then wait to purchase one of your fine fiberglass casts when you are ready to sell me one;)

So I promised a couple folks I would keep posting progress on this, thank you for hitting up guys.

Progress on this today has been very slow, mostly because I spent most of the day welcoming a couple of new members to the shop family!!!!

Please welcome "Phil Banderson" the Band-saw, and "Porter Sanders" the Bench Sander. (Yeah I know guys, I just named my tools, what can I say . . . I'm a geek!"

20638884105_5a87279d46_c.jpg

So, pertaining to the build, I thought I would share at least a few pics. Starting with the use an old Nintendo base that I picked up at a garage sale for $1.25. The thing was totally trashed beyond repair, but I took one look at the bottom and said, "Man, that would make a nice greeblie"

20645546241_e5db56fef1_c.jpg

And I also started working on the base of the droid. As i said above, I am dealing with rubbermaids here, and their stability is proving an issue. I am planning for motors in the wheels, electronics, etc, so i need to consider structure. I am working on that :lol I also have been working on the base skirt (which is from our 2/3 R2 build, but i wanted to use it here.

20612642366_465d4c13fb_c.jpg

20638883405_3a64f6d377_z.jpg

I know the skirt looks a bit rough here, this is mostly a test fit . . . don't worry I'll clean it up ;)

20638882905_fa4cf3c579_c.jpg

That's it for right now, i have a couple more hours before I am out of gas, but I don't see any major progress . . . I have opened a beer, so . . .

ok, just one more. I wanted speakers in this bad boy; for sound effects, music, etc. So I disassembled an old speaker of mine and mounted it on the bottom rear.

20640076295_14f612aa14_c.jpg

A doof doof GNK. Nice. Building speakers in is a great idea because it gives a character a voice.

That Nintendo case was a great find. It is actually looks to belong in the Star Wars universe.

I don't think there are any rules as far as a GNK goes because they are all background characters and they are all different in the films anyway. In the Clone Wars animated series, there are even 4 legged versions.

R2 units on the other hand are always going to look like R2 units - tube body, 3 legs and usually a dome head (some have the tapered cylinder head like R5-D4).

The GNK could have anything from a big E on the side to what looks like a giant wind up key (seen in ESB) out the top. The only thing that is consistent is the "box" body. There is nothing that even suggests that they all walk. Your concept on page 1 rocks with the R2 unit legs.

A doof doof GNK. Nice. Building speakers in is a great idea because it gives a character a voice.

That Nintendo case was a great find. It is actually looks to belong in the Star Wars universe.

I don't think there are any rules as far as a GNK goes because they are all background characters and they are all different in the films anyway. In the Clone Wars animated series, there are even 4 legged versions.

R2 units on the other hand are always going to look like R2 units - tube body, 3 legs and usually a dome head (some have the tapered cylinder head like R5-D4).

The GNK could have anything from a big E on the side to what looks like a giant wind up key (seen in ESB) out the top. The only thing that is consistent is the "box" body. There is nothing that even suggests that they all walk. Your concept on page 1 rocks with the R2 unit legs.

Thanks man. I figured since I have the legs available, with the feet, and all the greeblies . . . Why not!

here are a few more shots. Test fitting some parts, working on some small detail stuff. Thanks for watching!

Side details:

20643632086_c0cb12c998_c.jpg

Front detail:

20047348904_f1105c5286_c.jpg

20481902418_9d21dc9c55_c.jpg

20481903610_93ed94e914_c.jpg

Those recessed panels are greeblie goodness! LOVE IT! After looking at the Gonk a little more... its looks more like a renegade Battle Gonk! :)

- - - Updated - - -

New tools! Nice... :)

did a bit more tonight; some paint work, sanding, etc. Long way to go but I want to add more detail and I am going to need this base on before I add further details.

little prep work on the Leg Casts . . .

20694061225_b97d706877_c.jpg

20507333959_79545e4b1a_c.jpg

20507333119_eaa7b27439_c.jpg

and my first run of paint and weathering, obviously adjustments and more to come, but its a start!

20071489564_152abdaae8_c.jpg

20507332339_186983bf1d_c.jpg

20071488774_3a9dfeb9f1_c.jpg

20073113663_fa89e52d3b_c.jpg

Astounding work. I love all the greeblies. I have to say, I'm getting very inspired to have a go at building one myself. I have no linen storage in my house, so I'm thinking of building mine to store towels & such. You know, that way it's actually usefull.

Looking real good! Are those your scaled parts or are they full size R2 parts?

They are from our 2/3rd scale R2 build. I had plenty of parts on-hand so why not :)

- - - Updated - - -

Astounding work. I love all the greeblies. I have to say, I'm getting very inspired to have a go at building one myself. I have no linen storage in my house, so I'm thinking of building mine to store towels & such. You know, that way it's actually usefull.

Awesome! I hear ya, my wife wanted this one to be an actual trash can, but this ones mine she'll just have to wait until next time for hers;)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back