GONK . . . or GNK-D2

I like where this is going.
Carry on!

Will do! Thanks brother!

Now that is one of best custom builds I've seen, very unique idea.

I appreciate that, I wasn't sure how well this build would be received. Glad you like it!

A smaller version of this would make a pretty sweet custom PC case. :D

Great work!

No doubt it would. Thanks

Awesome build!

Thank you!

WHOA! What a GREAT IDEA! Love it!

Glad to see those parts are finding an AWESOME home! :)

Yes sir they have. Thanks to you brother I have a HUGE selection to choose from. Thanks again man!!!!

Hey Fuzz,

The "The Droid Factory - Snow Corporation" is, I believe, the guy who built a 1/6th scale XWing fighter. The guy is amazing!

Cool idea! Which Rubbermaids are you using? I while I always saw them to be used as base for a Gonk. However, I've never thought they would do a great job holding paint, except for all the over spray when using them to paint on. :) Are these a harder finish that can be sanded and painted? Or do you have a special technique to get paint to adhere?

-Eric

Cool idea! Which Rubbermaids are you using? I while I always saw them to be used as base for a Gonk. However, I've never thought they would do a great job holding paint, except for all the over spray when using them to paint on. :) Are these a harder finish that can be sanded and painted? Or do you have a special technique to get paint to adhere?

-Eric

These were just a pair I got on sale at Walmart. They had the right detail I wanted. Yes, painting them is not easy. I have found that I can spray them with Primer, and then do just abut what ever I want. They are black, so if the paint flakes off a bit I can deal with it. I'll have to let you know more once I get rolling on the painting portion of it.

These were just a pair I got on sale at Walmart. They had the right detail I wanted. Yes, painting them is not easy. I have found that I can spray them with Primer, and then do just abut what ever I want. They are black, so if the paint flakes off a bit I can deal with it. I'll have to let you know more once I get rolling on the painting portion of it.
These are the standard flexible Rubbermaid then? Not a rigid version?

These are the standard flexible Rubbermaid then? Not a rigid version?

Pretty much. They are not the easiest to work with. As far as cutting its a breeze, but everything you attach has to be drilled, and then bolted to the bin. And you are a 100% right, painting them is a chore, becase they can damage or chip. Now, i made a GONK for my boss a couple years ago, and it sits in our showroom. I primed it and painted it, and to this day, it has held the paint just fine without issue. They don't hold their form all that well either, which is why i will be building a "skeleton" inside to maintain the structure and shape.

What I would really like to do is build an entire body custom out of a better material, and I certainly will someday. For now I am just playing around having a great time. I wanted to see if our 2/3rd resin parts would work for this. It is so cheap to buy the bins and then modify its hard to pass up. There are more ridged bins, the shinny smooth durable kind, but the material is brittle when you start cutting into them or drilling them, so for me anyway, this is the best way to go.

Thanks for the interest, i am pretty excited you guys have liked it. I am out of town for a few days, but then I will get back after it.

- - - Updated - - -

In a used universe that's a good thing. :)

You got that right buddy, and this thing is going to look WAY USED when i am done with it.

I wonder if a mold to make a harder shell would be useful. Fill it with packing foam or something to have it keep shape. Mold it and then cast it from fiberglass.

Probably overkill for what you are wanting to do. Let it get beat up!

Are you making a frame inside to bolt the legs to? Like the Senna frame for R2? Shouldn't be too hard to make a wooden one that the Gonk Shells would bolt to.

Such a great Idea Fuzzual! I totally love it and I think it perfectly complements the gonk. Honestly, I always loved the gonk overall design but never liked the legs/feet.
I might have to copy you there someday since I always wanted to do a droid build but never had the resources for an R2 build :)

I wonder if a mold to make a harder shell would be useful. Fill it with packing foam or something to have it keep shape. Mold it and then cast it from fiberglass.

Probably overkill for what you are wanting to do. Let it get beat up!

Are you making a frame inside to bolt the legs to? Like the Senna frame for R2? Shouldn't be too hard to make a wooden one that the Gonk Shells would bolt to.

yeah man, that all might be a bit more than I was thinking. I'm not sure what kind of frame I'm going to make, im thinking of a PVC and wood combo. Once I get a chance to get back out there I'll definatley snap some shots.

Such a great Idea Fuzzual! I totally love it and I think it perfectly complements the gonk. Honestly, I always loved the gonk overall design but never liked the legs/feet.
I might have to copy you there someday since I always wanted to do a droid build but never had the resources for an R2 build :)

thanks man. I'll be looking forward to your build!

I'll be following this build with interest. I may be able to borrow some ideas for my son's Gonk.
I just need to keep the weight down, the heavier it get, the less time he can wear it.

I'll be following this build with interest. I may be able to borrow some ideas for my son's Gonk.
I just need to keep the weight down, the heavier it get, the less time he can wear it.

Awesome, thank you. I am not sure how you would wear one like mine, but if you used the material i have and went with the traditional Gonk legs, it would be very light weight.

Here is a pic of my son and I at con
Rhode Island Comic Con.JPG
He's 13 and skinny. The more stuff we add the heavier it gets.

Attachments

• BCC2014.6.jpeg
    BCC2014.6.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 97
Love Gonks the thing is wouldn't these Gonks that have writing on them be in the Star Wars "lettering/alphabet" I have the font I was always confused about that in the star war Galaxy lol

I'm loving this idea, I think the proportions work a little better in the mock up but I still love it :)

By the way the unknown gonk in the first post is mine. (spacebobs droids)

I love all the creativity here.
I had the idea of making one years ago after working with John Stears but still haven't.
John told me at the time that the original Gonks on Ep.4 New Hope were in fact made from a couple of bins.
Gonk droids foot.jpgHere is a little help guys,
I took this photo of a real Gonk foot in the Lucas Archives
cheers
Gary

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back