Gonk Droids | Costumes & Props

norscout

One of the Gonk Droid costumes I built for 12 year old kids in my neighborhood.
Norscout.RPF.014_PKR-GonkDroid.jpg

PKR shown w.i.p., not quite complete in this shot, some of the lights are not turned on and still needs finish work around the seam.

Here's another gonk I made in a hurry. G3 work in progress:
Norscout.RPF.015-G3_GonkDroid.jpg

Hand forming the seam cover with .06 styrene.
Norscout.RPF.015b-G3_GonkHandForm.jpg

I wanted this one to look real beat up and imperfect. Seam cover installed.
Norscout.RPF.015c-G3_GonkDroidSeam.jpg

I never planned on getting close up shots of it in bright sunlight. The costume is for darker scenes.
The two cylindrical lenses are mounted to a tinted polycarb viewport panel for actors to peep thru.

Some work in progress on my third Gonk Droid costume / prop. I'm calling this one "C4".
It's my own design, while clearly staying within an established Gonk Type Droid Platform.
Norscout.020a-C4-Gonk3_RPF.png

Quick marker sketches I did at my workbench to figure out a graphic design for it.
Norscout.020b-C4-Gonk3_RPF.png

First grime pass, no chips or scratches yet.
Norscout.020c-C4-Gonk3_RPF.png

C4 is mostly complete, wearable and also on a stand, except I haven't had an easy time getting good lighting on this one in the studio.
My first photo session against black was less than stellar. I'll try again and get there on the next one.
Norscout.020d-C4-Gonk3_RPF.png

The blue bar light is installed but the round "eye light" is not turned on in this image.
Thanks to Shawn Thorsson for support. He let me spend a couple days on his vacuum former and helped make bucks.

Norscout.020e-C4-Gonk3_RPF.png

These are fast, fun and ez to make. Can you ID some of the "found parts" I used?

I totally support this, love the color scheme, the greeblies are perfect

Curious about your feet?! Are they 3d printed?

Thanks Halliwax I used a vintage teal on PKR & leafy green on G3, with different colors on the mid seam strips.
I forget what I used on C4, it was several layers testing whatever spray cans I had on hand. I imagined C4 as a tan or brownish but didn't have the right spray colors. I hit it with an odd light green at first and didn't like it so I used some other layers and an old can of london fog.

The feet are deep pull vacuum formed. They got paper thin in a few spots but worked out well. I just glued .06 styrene strips to the thin spots for reinforcement.

I have the blue & green droids modeled in 3D, based on my practical builds I made first, then I added CG improvements. I considered printing the set as 1/7th scale models, but I haven't yet. Still on my "maybe to-do one day" list. I still need to pull the trigger on getting a resin printer!

I didn’t even think of vacuum forming.. hello!! Lol

Seriously love this whole concept man, keep up the great work

There's a group on Facebook called The gonk Droid builder group. There are tons of different custom builds, and it's amazing to see how creative everybody is. I build a half size version. It's amazing what a couple of storage buckets, and a bunch of household junk can turn into!

Attachments

• 20201206_081549__01.jpg
    20201206_081549__01.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 67
Thanks Halliwax and alexbailey Here's a 5 minute short film made with 11 year old kids in my neighborhood. The Gonk costumes weren't finished when I shot this but I only had 3 weeks to make it all. If I had more time I would've done more with Boba and Scout:

Gonk!

I'd like to see a whole adventure..
Call it "A certain point of view" and insert them into classic scenes of SW but at a distance.

Gonks in the wild: costumed actors Parker, Marlon and Ollie, all 11 year olds.
PKR "Blue" has an opening underneath to climb in. The seam is sealed shut.
G3, the green gonk has a hinged clam shell design for easier entry. Both work good.

I prefer shorter legs & planed for actors to squat but it gets very difficult to walk squatted for any length, especially with boxes on your shoulders, so we defaulted to standing upright.

Attachments

• RPF.Norscout.gonk.kids.jpg
    RPF.Norscout.gonk.kids.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 51

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back