GONK . . . or GNK-D2

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Fuzzual, May 9, 2015.

1. Fuzzual

Fuzzual Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ok, so I am down with a badly thrown back and pretty much immobile this week. The desire to be out in the shop building things is killing me! The list of projects I have looming out there are very long, but one of the builds that have been on my mind for the better part of two years is a Gonk build.

I will say, i am probably starting this thread a bit pre-mature, as I have been instructed by my wife to "Get that basement Project Done!" so this will have to wait. But since I am lying around like a tub of slugs waiting for my back to heal, lets just see what you guys think.

A couple of years ago I built one for the owner of our company: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=200196 I really enjoyed this build, and I got a kick out of having a working iPod and speaker on it, but I only had a week to put it together, and the final was ok, but I would really have liked to spend time getting it to light up and such.

I am going to start by saying I am a HUGE fan of the Gonk Droid, and I feel like due to his mobility there are not very many builds. I recently went to Celebration VII, and I really wished I had taken some time last year to build one to display there. But again, the mobility of the Gonk limits it. So what would happen if a person was to take the "mobility" of and Astromech, and apply it to a Gonk? Would this be too weird? What do you guys think? Having a Gonk move around in the same speed and fashion as an R2 I think would be a kick.

I was sort of inspired by the leaked images and recent details surrounding The Force Awakens. Seeing the images of the "Scavenged" planet Jakku, I started thinking. What if a scavenger found a broke down Gonk and a busted up Astromech and combined the two? Stupid?

I did a little sketch of what I am thinking of doing. I have the availability of the legs and feet now that the molds from our 2/3rd R2 Project is in full swing. So having the parts is pretty straight forward. But is it worth it?

Here is what I am thinking of doing. I would love any feed back or thoughts you all have on this.

[​IMG]

These are some of the builds that have really inspired me. Some of my favorites anyway.

Of course there is Valor Design's Gonk, which is just great! here is a link to his collection, if you haven't seen it you need to: http://cargocollective.com/valordesign

[​IMG]

and I recently discovered "The Droid Factory - Snow Corporation" builds that were done several years ago on the Slide Show Freaks Forum. This guy is a crazy talented artist, check out his facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Snow-Corporation/161889887278934?fref=pb&hc_location=profile_browser
    He built a ton of 1/6 Power Droid (Gonks) in what looks like 2009. These are very cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this one was built by an RPF member, but the image is all I have, i don't actually know who built this . . . But its fantastic!

[​IMG]

Anyway, thats my story and I'm sticking to it. Don't know when I will actually get to work on this, if its like my other projects then I am sure it will be a while. (unless i get really bored and distracted . . . Shhh . . . don't tell my wife:) Hope some of you found this an interesting idea.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    MAAZ likes this.
  2. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Re: GONK . . . Or should I say ASTRO-GNK

Neat, but loose the "E" on the side, only the sandcrawler gonk had it.

3. Fuzzual

good point. I honestly never knew what the "E" was for, or why. Do you know?

4. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Nope.
    It only shows up on the one seen in the crawler.
    It's always irritated me that everyone puts in on their droids.

Each one is different with assorted shapes, add on's and color schemes.
    I'm more partial to the Lars droid.

There is at least 4 in ANH and at least 3 in the Hoth hanger in ESB.

5. Fuzzual

Yeah, I like the Lars droid too, and the one in Mos Eisley, which looks alot Like Lars. The ones on Hoth are not my favorite. Not a big fan of the pumpkin shape on the one. but thats just a personal preference. The letter on the side doesn't really bother me, but I see your point. I'll probably go with a custom anyway.

6. NotAMoon

NotAMoon New Member

You should make it as a cosplay outfit!

MAAZ likes this.
  7. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I really like your design, amazing no one else came up with it yet before now.

8. Junkyard Jedi

Junkyard Jedi New Member

There goes another pair of my legs, sheesh I can't make these fast enough, haha, Love the Idea, just wait until I make my AT-AT walker with R2s legs

9. Fuzzual

Not sure I could make it big enough :)

Right? My thoughts exactly. It's different I, but seems like it could work.

- - - Updated - - -

HAHA! There you go old man! You and I will never run out of ideas for these parts!

10. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Sr Member

Wall*E crawler feet is what i'm thinking for my next Gonk build.

11. cavx

cavx Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

IMO, a better idea than a ball droid.

Unfated, spacebob and Fuzzual like this.
  12. Fuzzual

That is a great idea!

13. Fuzzual

Ok everyone, i have started the Gonk build. I am calling it GNK-D2. I have nearly finished my HIC project for my Smugglers Room short of the electronics which i need to save my nickels for, and I honestly needed a break and try something a little different before I roll into the display cabinets and such . . . but that is another thread.

So, the Gonk. It has helped a ton that I have access to the legs, feet, etc from our 2/3rds R2 Build. They are making this alot more fun than if I had to build that from scratch too. I have found that I am going to have to build a skeleton of sorts inside the rubbermaid bins to add stability as well as mounting options for the Electronics, Speakers, Amplifier, etc. I may also have to adjust the design of the "Battery Boxes" to house the motors for the feet, but that will come after I find out what type of motors I need. Yes, I am going all out on this bad boy. I have been so excited to build a Gonk that I see no way around it. I am even going to assemble a series of servo motors to rotate, and move the eye around. Give the unit a bit of character and allow me to puppeteer it a bit more when at events with the R2 Builders club. This droid will not be stagnate by any means.

At any rate, here is the progress so far. It needs many tweaks and is far from assembled, but the overall progress after a few days is pretty cool. Hope you guys like it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. azheat01

azheat01 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Love it brother, gonna have to attempt one of these in the near future! Also gonna have to borrow your idea with the bins, looks fantastic.

15. Fuzzual

Thank you much my friend, I'm getting a real kick out of it so far.

16. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I like where this is going.
    Carry on!

17. shenphong

shenphong Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Now that is one of best custom builds I've seen, very unique idea.

18. Crazylegsmurphy

Crazylegsmurphy Active Member

A smaller version of this would make a pretty sweet custom PC case. :D

Great work!

19. The Full Armor

The Full Armor Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome build!

20. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

WHOA! What a GREAT IDEA! Love it!

Glad to see those parts are finding an AWESOME home! :)

21. Fuzzual

Will do! Thanks brother!

I appreciate that, I wasn't sure how well this build would be received. Glad you like it!

No doubt it would. Thanks

Thank you!

Yes sir they have. Thanks to you brother I have a HUGE selection to choose from. Thanks again man!!!!

22. Mean Obiwan

Mean Obiwan Well-Known Member

I think it's a brilliant idea. Can't wait to see the final product. Looking very cool so far.

23. Fuzzual

thanks man, i'm looking forward to getting some more work done on it.

24. Mean Obiwan

Mean Obiwan Well-Known Member

I bet! I'm looking forward to seeing. Very inspiring

25. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Hey Fuzz,

The "The Droid Factory - Snow Corporation" is, I believe, the guy who built a 1/6th scale XWing fighter. The guy is amazing!

26. Fuzzual

No kidding? Wow, that was a great build. His Gonk droids are fantastic!

27. hdtheater

hdtheater Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cool idea! Which Rubbermaids are you using? I while I always saw them to be used as base for a Gonk. However, I've never thought they would do a great job holding paint, except for all the over spray when using them to paint on. :) Are these a harder finish that can be sanded and painted? Or do you have a special technique to get paint to adhere?

-Eric

28. Fuzzual

These were just a pair I got on sale at Walmart. They had the right detail I wanted. Yes, painting them is not easy. I have found that I can spray them with Primer, and then do just abut what ever I want. They are black, so if the paint flakes off a bit I can deal with it. I'll have to let you know more once I get rolling on the painting portion of it.

29. hdtheater

These are the standard flexible Rubbermaid then? Not a rigid version?

30. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

He had started 3 1/6th Snow Speeders. Dont think he ever finished them?

- - - Updated - - -

In a used universe that's a good thing. :)

31. Fuzzual

Pretty much. They are not the easiest to work with. As far as cutting its a breeze, but everything you attach has to be drilled, and then bolted to the bin. And you are a 100% right, painting them is a chore, becase they can damage or chip. Now, i made a GONK for my boss a couple years ago, and it sits in our showroom. I primed it and painted it, and to this day, it has held the paint just fine without issue. They don't hold their form all that well either, which is why i will be building a "skeleton" inside to maintain the structure and shape.

What I would really like to do is build an entire body custom out of a better material, and I certainly will someday. For now I am just playing around having a great time. I wanted to see if our 2/3rd resin parts would work for this. It is so cheap to buy the bins and then modify its hard to pass up. There are more ridged bins, the shinny smooth durable kind, but the material is brittle when you start cutting into them or drilling them, so for me anyway, this is the best way to go.

Thanks for the interest, i am pretty excited you guys have liked it. I am out of town for a few days, but then I will get back after it.

- - - Updated - - -

You got that right buddy, and this thing is going to look WAY USED when i am done with it.

32. hdtheater

I wonder if a mold to make a harder shell would be useful. Fill it with packing foam or something to have it keep shape. Mold it and then cast it from fiberglass.

Probably overkill for what you are wanting to do. Let it get beat up!

Are you making a frame inside to bolt the legs to? Like the Senna frame for R2? Shouldn't be too hard to make a wooden one that the Gonk Shells would bolt to.

33. Tom Sheldon

Tom Sheldon Active Member

Such a great Idea Fuzzual! I totally love it and I think it perfectly complements the gonk. Honestly, I always loved the gonk overall design but never liked the legs/feet.
    I might have to copy you there someday since I always wanted to do a droid build but never had the resources for an R2 build :)

34. Fuzzual

yeah man, that all might be a bit more than I was thinking. I'm not sure what kind of frame I'm going to make, im thinking of a PVC and wood combo. Once I get a chance to get back out there I'll definatley snap some shots.

thanks man. I'll be looking forward to your build!

35. Zaphod Bezerker

Zaphod Bezerker New Member

I'll be following this build with interest. I may be able to borrow some ideas for my son's Gonk.
    I just need to keep the weight down, the heavier it get, the less time he can wear it.

36. Fuzzual

Awesome, thank you. I am not sure how you would wear one like mine, but if you used the material i have and went with the traditional Gonk legs, it would be very light weight.

37. Zaphod Bezerker

Zaphod Bezerker New Member

Here is a pic of my son and I at con
    Rhode Island Comic Con.JPG
    He's 13 and skinny. The more stuff we add the heavier it gets.

Attached Files:

38. Sith4Life

Sith4Life Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Love Gonks the thing is wouldn't these Gonks that have writing on them be in the Star Wars "lettering/alphabet" I have the font I was always confused about that in the star war Galaxy lol

39. spacebob

spacebob Sr Member

I'm loving this idea, I think the proportions work a little better in the mock up but I still love it :)

By the way the unknown gonk in the first post is mine. (spacebobs droids)

40. GaryArm

GaryArm Member

I love all the creativity here.
    I had the idea of making one years ago after working with John Stears but still haven't.
    John told me at the time that the original Gonks on Ep.4 New Hope were in fact made from a couple of bins.
    Gonk droids foot.jpg Here is a little help guys,
    I took this photo of a real Gonk foot in the Lucas Archives
    cheers
    Gary

41. Fuzzual

Thanks guys, I have been away for a while, summer is busy busy busy. I will get back to this little guy after the rush and the heat.

42. DarthWad3r

DarthWad3r Member

Love this

Fuzzual likes this.
  43. Fuzzual

Its been too * long, but finally making a little progress. Had sort of a major/minor screw up on one of the face bolts, the rubbermaid and I were not getting along and I ended up with the top right bolt in the wrong place. not much I can do to fix it, so for now I will have to live with it. (Not thrilled!!!!) More tomorrow . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

44. cavx

Looks like a D-Cinema video projector :) Good work, keep going :)

45. Fuzzual

Yeah, right now it certainly has a "Projector" quality to it. I am hoping once a get a bit further into it, it will appear less like that. We will see. Worse case I can remove the lens and go a different route :)

46. azheat01

azheat01 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Love it!

Fuzzual likes this.
  47. cavx

I like the lens. It adds a point of difference. Most GNKs have a tray of sorts with greeblies on the front. You have done something different, so well done.

Did you have to cut the bottom out to lose the wheels? Or did you manage to find boxes with no wheels? I found black boxes in a local K-Mart with no wheels. I bought two because they were like $5 each, so GNK here we come.

As I want to learn how to fibre-glass, I am thinking using the boxes as molds only, and glassing the two halves together or hinging it to sever as some form of storage unit later. This should solve the seam issue as well without the need to bog and fill the hollow under the rims. I see you have a thick board between yours. Will you lose the rims?

48. Fuzzual

Hey there, thanks for the compliment on the lens. I really wanted something, as you say "point of reference" for sure. We took our 2/3rd R2 Builds to Celebration VII in April, and having R2's heads spinning and following people with the Radar Eye really gave the little guy life. I really enjoyed people interacting with it. So when I set out to build the Gonk version, i wanted something similar. I am still toying with the idea of installing some gyro's or something along those lines to make the Eye move; maybe even if it just spins that would be enough. And I picked up some LEDs and an Arduino Uno to assemble behind the lens (controlling multiple LEDs and Colors) in addition to other areas.

Just trying to give the little guy life you know? Its way outside the scope of a typical Gonk, but I figure if I was already breaking the rules why not just go the distance.

I did not remove the bottom due to wheels. The bins are just your standard everyday Rubbermaid bins from Walmart. I cut the opening in the top and bottom to give myself a place I could install a solid wood square on both ends. I wanted something to help with structure and mounting. The rubbermaid is pretty flimsy so i am having to assemble a full "skeleton" of sorts inside. I'll tell you what my friend, I think you 100% have the right idea of fiberglass. I am having a hell of a time with this the way it is!!!!! I will eagerly we awaiting your build and seeing how you fiberglass the structure.

As far as the rims, I will have to keep them. I will dress it up as much as possible to at least give the appearance that it is on purpose. If I cut the trim around the two bins it will just be way to floppy on the inside.

All in all, i think it will work out just fine, but building the structure from scratch is probably the way to go. So I'll finish this, and then wait to purchase one of your fine fiberglass casts when you are ready to sell me one;)

49. Fuzzual

So I promised a couple folks I would keep posting progress on this, thank you for hitting up guys.

Progress on this today has been very slow, mostly because I spent most of the day welcoming a couple of new members to the shop family!!!!

Please welcome "Phil Banderson" the Band-saw, and "Porter Sanders" the Bench Sander. (Yeah I know guys, I just named my tools, what can I say . . . I'm a geek!"

[​IMG]

So, pertaining to the build, I thought I would share at least a few pics. Starting with the use an old Nintendo base that I picked up at a garage sale for $1.25. The thing was totally trashed beyond repair, but I took one look at the bottom and said, "Man, that would make a nice greeblie"

[​IMG]

And I also started working on the base of the droid. As i said above, I am dealing with rubbermaids here, and their stability is proving an issue. I am planning for motors in the wheels, electronics, etc, so i need to consider structure. I am working on that :lol I also have been working on the base skirt (which is from our 2/3 R2 build, but i wanted to use it here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know the skirt looks a bit rough here, this is mostly a test fit . . . don't worry I'll clean it up ;)

[​IMG]

That's it for right now, i have a couple more hours before I am out of gas, but I don't see any major progress . . . I have opened a beer, so . . .

50. Fuzzual

ok, just one more. I wanted speakers in this bad boy; for sound effects, music, etc. So I disassembled an old speaker of mine and mounted it on the bottom rear.

[​IMG]