Girl (Woman) of Steel

Belleb08

Hi!! Now I have seen some amazing work on Man of Steel Cosplays and I want to get in on the action as a female and create a Girl/Woman of Steel cosplay. I have been in love with this artwork for a long time and now that I have Wonder Woman under my belt it is time for a new challenge and to tackle something yet to be created. I am ordering my supplies now. Thanks for my buddy Jason who created a Man of Steel cosplay I inherited his leftover fabric for my project so I am going to try and do as close of a color match with his, though that skirt might cause me problems. Hope I can do her and the Man of Steel franchise justice. :D

Lady of Steel.JPG and my friend's for color comparison WW and MoS.JPG

After your excellent work on Wonder Woman, I am looking forward to seeing how you put this together. /Subscribed

So I decided to see if I can find its origin:

http://fanartexhibit.wordpress.com/

If you keep scrolling you'll find it here. This dude has also created a couple of others that you may like!

mydlyfe Thank you for that information. Actually because you attached the link the artist got in contact with me. He provided a hi res picture of the one I am creating which is a gender bend on Man of Steel and his vision of Supergirl. Those images are going to be helpful in the future and having the artist as a reach back for detail help.

The silver fabric is in and now I know what I need to get for the red.

So for sculpting and molding purposes for this costume I made a duct tape body double. Now to put it back
together and full it with expanding foam. Once that is done I can start sculpting the muscles for the under suit.
image.jpg

Okay so I am needing to get this done by the 21st of November. I have just over 4 weeks to get this done. There are going to be some crazy progress pics and updates coming over that time.

Okay so I have been getting a lot done this past week, though not as much as I would of liked. I got the duct tape body double done. What I did was using expanding foam filled it up to make it solid and then added a coat of that sealant spray paint to try and make it a little easier to sculpt on. Here are a few pictures of that adventure.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I am now in the process of sculpting the muscles for the chrome muscle suit. Here is what I have so far I need to add obliques and clean it up a bit then I will be ready for molding.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    985.4 KB · Views: 195
Been a busy week of scuplting and casting the muscles for the chrome muscle suit. I finished the sculptind of the obliques and smoothed out the clay as much as I could. I was using Monster clay which uses heat to soften up enough to sculpt.

IMG_3378.JPG IMG_3379.JPG

The next step was to move the body to the kitchen of my apartment and build a wall around the sculpt with wet potters clay

IMG_3380.JPG IMG_3381.JPG

Next I cover the entire area to be cast with vasaline including the walls so that the clay could be removed from the plaster. I then started covering the sculpt with plaster. First layer was a watered down version to get all the details and then I thickened it up for the rest.

IMG_3383.JPG IMG_3384.JPG

I let that sit for an hour then I removed the body and most of the clay from the plaster

IMG_3385.JPG IMG_3386.JPG IMG_3387.JPG

Once I cleaded out all they clay I cooked the mold for 8 hours at 200 degrees in my oven to harden the plaster Next step to pour the foam latex.

SO been busy busy again so here is an up date. The first muscle cast came out rough and took forever to dry

IMG_3408.JPG IMG_3409.JPG 6.jpg

re casted it using a pour wait and dump method. That should be pulled today.

2.jpg

Also mad a duct tape double of my leg to sculpt the boot toppers

IMG_3419.JPG IMG_3420.JPG

Then casted the mold, dyed the liquid latex, and poured. Hoping to pull today

4.jpg 1.jpg 8.jpg

Desigened the gauntlets on paper traced onto plexi glass then sculpted, casted, and baked

3.jpg 7.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 9.jpg

Just curious - how thick are those clay muscle pieces? Seems that it'd be a bit bulky!? Can't wait to see the finished product.

Just curious - how thick are those clay muscle pieces? Seems that it'd be a bit bulky!? Can't wait to see the finished product.

They are thick but I have leaned that latex shrinks quit a bit when it dries. Learned that when making the muscles so over did it a little to compensate on the detail trim peices.

I pulled the red boot toppers and the second muscle set. The red boot topper did not come out well, the latex was all craked. I am hoping that this is due to the mold release or the amount of colorant that I had to add to get that color, because if that is the case then I can just pour the whilte and paint it after the fact. I poured the black latex I bough in the gauntlets to see if it was the colorant that was my issue

FullSizeRender2.jpg IMG_3454.JPG

Below are the two pulls of the muscles. the first set is on the right and the new set is on the left. The new set did come out cleaner but some of the muscles are not well defined. I think I am going to do a combination of the two when I glue the to the underside of the chrome suit.

FullSizeRender1.jpg

Here is the long awaited update that I promised.

I used tape on the body double to draw the details on then took the tape off to lay it flat and trace on to the plexi glass. This way I could sculpt on the plexi glass make the mold then make a mirrored sculpt by flipping the plexi glass over. This worked really well. So I have all the details but the back detail sculpted, molded and casted. Had issues with one of the molds being too thin and it broke when I baked it. However almost all the breaks were clean and toward the back where the cape could hide the booboo, so I epoxied the mold back together and prayed it would work. It did to a degree; you can see where the break was, so Woman of Steel has some battle damage. Here are some pics of that process. I have really slowed down the speed at which I was making this costume due to the fact that I did not want to rush getting it done for my past con and I am now debuting it in February, so taking some time off for the holidays.

The drawing on the body:
IMG_3452.JPG IMG_3453.JPG

gauntlet in the mold and what it looked like when pulled:
IMG_3454.JPG IMG_3462.JPG

The finished sculpts ready to be casted:
IMG_3464.JPG

Broke the bowl trying to get the dried plaster out, but taped it together and it magically held together for the rest of the time:
IMG_3465.JPG

The molds drying and what a finished mold looks like:
IMG_3466.JPG IMG_3467.JPG

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back