Ghostbusters - Proton Pack (WIP)

Last week I started a second pull, which turned out far better. I used a different gelcoat for this one and added two layers of fibre to the shell:

mold2_01.jpg

Then I started work on the motherboard. This was by far the most annoying work so far. To keep the markings from coming off, the whole aluminum plate was covered in silicone oil. Worked well until I had to clean it up afterwards.

motherboard_01.jpg

Then I sanded both sides and added holes where necessary:

motherboard_02.jpg motherboard_03.jpg

I put all together and tried it on. Looks good so far I guess...

testfit_01.jpg

Next step will be smoothing all the edges of the motherboard. Then I will start adding the greeblies. Thanks for watching!

Yesterday I started working on the Booster-Frame. I began by sketching the overall layout onto a piece of hobby-plastic. Then I added a second layer but left the bridges. They were filled with some MDF-sheets that had the structure on them already. The grooves were simply filed in since the hobby-plastic is rather soft:
Boosterframe_01.jpg Boosterframe_02.jpg

Pencils were cut to length and added to the construction:
Boosterframe_03.jpg Boosterframe_04.jpg

Next step was molding:
Boosterframe_05.jpg Boosterframe_06.jpg Boosterframe_07.jpg

...and here we have the first pull after some cleaning:
Boosterframe_08.jpg

I still have to smooth the edges a little and cut some excess. After that I will start with the booster-tube. Unfortunately 60mm diameter is not a standard for tubes in Germany so I am not sure how to proceed. If any of you guys have any ideas please let me know :)

Can you tell me a bit more about the casting process? I made a couple of cast from my mold, but they where all horrible...brushstrokes everywhere and just a complete nightmare. Is gelcoat easier to work with then fiber-resin with thickener?

Can you tell me a bit more about the casting process? I made a couple of cast from my mold, but they where all horrible...brushstrokes everywhere and just a complete nightmare. Is gelcoat easier to work with then fiber-resin with thickener?

By using a gelcoat first, you won't see any brushstrokes on the outside. Matt Munson has a fantastic and easy-to-follow tutorial up on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmi-faf42NQ

Using baby-powder to prime the mold made the gelcoat stick to the vertical walls easier I think. When the first coat was nearly dry but yet a little sticky, I added a second layer of gelcoat. When the second coat got sticky, I started ripping the fiberglass-sheets to make them a little softer. Because the gelcoat was still sticky, I was able to apply the fiber to every corner of the shell before starting to soak the whole layer with epoxy.
After that I waited for the epoxy to cure and just when it became sticky I added a second layer of fiber just the same way as I did with the first layer. Then I let it cure for 24 hours.

As for brush-strokes: I used some throw-away brushes with rather hard bristles but it worked very well. Just be sure not to add to much pressure when applying the gelcoat.

I hope that helps? If you have any more questions, please ask :)
I am also planning on posting a step-by-step-tutorial once it gets a little warmer outside.

Time for an update!

Unfortunately I forgot to take any pictures of the building process of the booster-tube. On the other hand it is not that much of a thrilling experience anyways. I simply bought an acrylic tube, cut it to length and added some black color... The smaller tube that goes inside the big one is made from a fizzytablet-tube which happens to be just the exact size:

Booster-Tube_01.jpg Booster-Tube_02.jpg

Building the HGA:

HGA_01.jpg HGA_02.jpg HGA_03.jpg

This was the time my drill decided to go crazy with the acrylic tube...

HGA_04.jpg

Fortunately the HGA is round. So I was able to simply use the other side and drill the holes more carefully. Afterwards I repaired the crack with some filler and a piece of cardboard. Since this part won't be exposed to any pressure, it should be just fine.

HGA_05.jpg HGA_06.jpg HGA_07.jpg HGA_08.jpg

And this is the project so far:

Assemble_01.jpg Behind_02.jpg

Thanks for watching!

How much silicon did it take to do your mold? Very nice job makes me jealous!

Thanks! It took about 2 - 2,5 (7l) gallons of silicone. I used Rebound 25. One detail-coat, two thicker coats to make it durable and another detail-coat to fill up any gaps on the outside.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back