GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

About the only goodthing today is the downvotes are STILLLLLL outweighing the good votes.

WE. GET. IT. You don't like it. Move on already. Expressing your distaste for it is one thing but having to bump the thread every 5 minutes to constantly remind us you don't like what they're doing is REALLY. IRRITATING.

"I just hate-watched the trailer for the 100th time and LOOK! There's people in the background that look confused and/or bored. SEE! SEE! Even the people in the movie know it's bad! My blind rage is not without merit!"

Do you seriously not have better things to do?

Good eye regarding that background! I can see the girls "uncovering" the old tech and adapting it. And so we do get kind of a transition from old to new ...

But if they REALLY upgrade to the fire station, it´s going to be a huge sign of non-existing faith into the idea of a complete reboot. Especially since SLIMER is in that trailer !!!

I think it looks like a typical comedy that gets released in today's market. I'm not a big fan of those but I would watch this. Cool featurette!

I don't see the big issue with rebooting a movie with female leads so young girls have cool stuff to look up to.

interesting the not yet rated part.

Are they going to risk going the R route?

Also interesting to see someone bothered to tackle real particle science. as well as real math on the math board. probably Dan Aykroyd's influence.
that video was probably cooler than the whole movie will be.

No way, PG or PG-13.

I think it looks like a typical comedy that gets released in today's market. I'm not a big fan of those but I would watch this. Cool featurette!

I don't see the big issue with rebooting a movie with female leads so young girls have cool stuff to look up to.

I guess the way I see it is that, I don't see a problem with having female leads for young girls to look up to, but I do think that the reboot seems totally unnecessary, based on what they're showing here. Like, there was never any reason, from what's in this film, why this film couldn't have been either a "passing of the torch" film or literally just them opening a new franchise and going from there. I don't, at this point, understand the need or desire to sever the film from the previously established continuity, when the film is going to so closely mirror the original. What's the point?

LOLOLOL....

Sony is apparently now deleting any negative comments on their YT feed...at least the ones that get lots of upvotes. Too bad they can't do that with the dislikes.

no need for laxatives at the sony camp today ;o). (What, the trailer did a puke joke!)

So far the special effects look great. They seem to be combining old-school ghost scares with modern CGI methodology, and I'm actually okay with that. The other effects look pretty cool as well.

I am not thrilled with them casting Melissa McCarthy, mainly because I cannot stand her in anything she's been in. The stupid comedy is gonna be ever present, of course, and I'm not thrilled with that either. I prefer my comedy to be a bit more sophisticated than that. The original had the right kind of comedy to it.

Overall, this looks like they started out with the idea of rebooting the franchise from scratch with genderswapped characters, but they changed midway through the process into a continuation film. A bit lazy, really.

I guess the way I see it is that, I don't see a problem with having female leads for young girls to look up to, but I do think that the reboot seems totally unnecessary, based on what they're showing here. Like, there was never any reason, from what's in this film, why this film couldn't have been either a "passing of the torch" film or literally just them opening a new franchise and going from there. I don't, at this point, understand the need or desire to sever the film from the previously established continuity, when the film is going to so closely mirror the original. What's the point?

My guess is so they can be more free with the details without having to worry about the structure and baggage of a 30 year old film. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I am not thrilled with them casting Melissa McCarthy, mainly because I cannot stand her in anything she's been in. The stupid comedy is gonna be ever present, of course, and I'm not thrilled with that either. I prefer my comedy to be a bit more sophisticated than that. The original had the right kind of comedy to it.

I agree with you here but IMO it is not just McCarthy movies but MOST comedies now a days. I will say I thought Spy was good (for a comedy). :)

My guess is so they can be more free with the details without having to worry about the structure and baggage of a 30 year old film. :)

My guess is that it's because Feig's original idea was different enough that the suits at Sony figured it'd be TOO different, and so they made him make it more like the original.

So, basically, my guess is "Because the suits at Sony are uncreative hacks who really just know about brand management and marketing, rather than storytelling."

- - - Updated - - -

they did the same with star wars.

To be fair, MOST of the books where forgettable. but, that being said...

they STILL wound up pretty much where the books left off (luke in self imposed exile, only one solo kid left out of three, one character dying)...they just switched some of the details a bit and left me wondering why they had to ditch 30 years of expanded history (even in aftermath, they seemed to setup one of the EU book ideas of a bounty hunter guild)...and all this leads back to solo's idea of why?

I just showed this trailer to my co worker who isn't really a big huge fan like most of the net is reacting as these days. even he said it looks terrible. but he DID get giddy when they showed the firehouse. which is exactly why sony showed it in the beginning.

After watching the trailer I have to admit that it looks kind of funny and I might just end up going to see it. I still think that it would have been better as basically Ghostbusters 3 and a passing of the torch movie rather than a gender swapped reboot, but I might give it a chance depending on what I see in future trailers.

I giggled once during the trailer...."the power of pain compels you!" I think this might be a Redbox movie. They are really going for the Bridesmaids comedy bit, but has been buried like the spirits they chase.

Edit. I guess it had a $150mil budget. So tack on another 150Million in promotion...... There better be a lot of nostalgia from the women of the 80's to break even.

Last edited:
Even if I didn't go into watching that with an already negative opinion of the reboot itself it wouldn't change my opinion that the trailer was pretty awful. The effects looked great, but the attempts at humor fell absolutely flat. You'd think they would throw at least a few funny lines in a trailer to get people interested in the film, but apparently that wasn't a priority this time around. I think the fact that they had to go for a PG-13 rating cripples the humor significantly because Feig has shown he can do funny R-rated comedies like Bridesmaids and The Heat. This just looks like a giant bomb in every sense of the word.

I'll rent this when it comes to RedBox, but only because I'm in love with Kristen Wiig and I watch everything she does.

Movies, I mean - I'm not hiding in her bushes or anything.

my only issue, unless they did some recent changes, and don't feel like reading all the previous pages here...
that the movie is a reboot. Don't understand why it couldn't be a sequel, even with a small 5min intro and and some info here and there through out the movie about the previous two movies.

Other than that, the movie should be good. Paul Fiege does make great movies

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back