Found! Obi-Wan Kenobi ANH Lightsaber Emitter

Holy COW...... I honestly cannot believe it. I have seen it, but still cannot believe it.

I could go on and on, but I am stunned, shocked, in awe, flabbergasted, holy moly.....

AWESOME WORK EVERYONE..... CHRIS, Great job....

I don't know how else to explain the lip's apparent continuity with the inside tube.

It looks to me like it might work this way (lip and inside tube wall in red):

[attachmentid=4893]

If you don't like the machining idea, perhaps the lip broke off when the outer ring of holes, uh, departed. This would explain the subtle remains of the lip on the inside ring.

Question... how do you think this attached to the grenade. Someone else mentioned lots of epoxy, but I am seriously curious as to how it connected since the hole is sooo damn big.

I still cant believe it, maybe tomorrow I will believe it, but today I sit here in shock.

If you don't like the machining idea, perhaps the lip broke off when the outer ring of holes, uh, departed. This would explain the subtle remains of the lip on the inside ring.

Maybe the piece was damaged, which is how it ended up in a prop house parts bin. Although I suppose that doesn't account for the multiples I guess (and that's all it is) on hand for the filming.

Maybe that's why they had the whole engine--whole thing went kablooie.

Amish--we have no way of knowing. There is something inside the emitter in some shots, see the emitter design thread for discussion of this. This is one of those things we may never know unless new information on the prop itself is found.

wow awesome work.

Now back in January who told you to start looking through old military aircraft?

So I was a little off on the specific part... stearing shaft bearing.... :p :lol

Wow.

I totally needed to have a cigarette after seeing those pics.
I, for one, never thought we'd ever identify that emitter.

Well done, and THANK YOU to everyone who contributed to this thread.

I have been holding out on this saber for a long time because noone really knew exactly what the emitter was. Now we do.

Can't wait to one day see a Obi ANH made from all real parts - can you imagine?

Wow. It really feels like the old days around here lately. *siff*

Thanks again,
Chris

wow

after all these years....WOW

I'm at a loss for words

am I dreaming?? :cry

Dan

p.s. great job guys...what more can I say?

One... more... piece :)

On attachment- notice in Chris's "revelation" pictures, there is a gob of something on the bottom part of the interconnectior (not the emitter, the piece between the grenade and emitter), just below the last ring of the emitter. This is probably a (very) sloppy tack weld or some epoxy or hot glue sticking out. Also notice the bottom ring is pretty banged up though it appears to be a thick and sturdy piece in the reveal pics. Perhaps someone used a screwdriver and hammer to punch/crimp the emitter onto something underneath to secure it. In any case, this is a great discovery. Who would have thought it was from an obscure RR jet engine?

I don't need/want a real emitter, but BLAXMYTH definately gets dibs on one of the real ones should a mk 8 be procured. He has been humbly quiet so far while others have been jumping to get one. Just thought I would mention that :)

Can not wait to know how close it matches many of the well researched replica emitters including MR.
Details soon please.
Put me on the list for a REAL accurate replica since I doubt I'll ever get a real emitter or grenade. LOL.

AWESOME. :D

NEXT up................

DA GEAR. :D

Actually he has already bowed gracefully out, asking only for a replica.

The crimping looks more as though something thinner was crumpled, I can't see metal that thick deforming in that particular way. Perhaps something was wrapped around that piece for some reason.

Originally posted by hypospray@Oct 5 2005, 02:43 PM
One... more... piece :)

On attachment- notice in Chris's "revelation" pictures, there is a gob of something on the bottom part of the interconnectior (not the emitter, the piece between the grenade and emitter), just below the last ring of the emitter.  This is probably a (very) sloppy tack weld or some epoxy or hot glue sticking out.  Also notice the bottom ring is pretty banged up though it appears to be a thick and sturdy piece in the reveal pics.  Perhaps someone used a screwdriver and hammer to punch/crimp the emitter onto something underneath to secure it.  In any case, this is a great discovery.  Who would have thought it was from an obscure RR jet engine? 

I don't need/want a real emitter, but BLAXMYTH definately gets dibs on one of the real ones should a mk 8 be procured.  He has been humbly quiet so far while others have been jumping to get one.  Just thought I would mention that :)
[snapback]1090567[/snapback]​

WOW.

I've been following this thread for days, & now, RIGHT now, I have officially been rendered speechless. I have NO speech.

Sweet as....

So, is it one or two per interconnector?

Originally posted by bwingpilot@Oct 5 2005, 11:44 PM
Excellent work guys, great detective work :D
[snapback]1090599[/snapback]​

Here's my updated 3D CAD interpretation of the emitter/Mk-8 interconnector assembly:

[attachmentid=4894]

[attachmentid=4895]

[attachmentid=4896]

[attachmentid=4897]

And comparisons between Chris' sample and my model (please note that CAD perspective and photo perspective may not match 100% due to optic distortions in the photo and exaggerated perspective in the CAD, not to mention small differences in scale and geometrical dimensions):

[attachmentid=4898]

[attachmentid=4899]

[attachmentid=4901]

[attachmentid=4900]

I left a tiny gap between the ring with holes and the inner wall of the interconnector at the flange, because we know something was inserted between them to secure a tight fit. Either that, or the Dewert Mk 8 interconnector did away with the sealant material and was a press-fit between the two parts. Indeed, in Chris' front view, the seam is barely even visible - it's a hairline which separates the lighter gray ring from the darker gray flange... In the event the parts ARE assembled in a tight press-fit, I can eliminate the gap by either increasing the ring's OD or decreasing the interconnector's inner wall's ID. I also can't find any of the 8 side-drilled holes in the inner tube, as they appear in the cutaway diagram. Perhaps this feature too was also eliminated between the Mk 8 and Mk 9 or even earlier.

Chris, can you ask about those holes?

Upon viewing the model and Chris' sample side by side, I can already tell that the step behind the flange should have a larger OD and be just a tad longer. Once I have access to all the dimensions, I can just plug in the new numbers and the model should be dead-on. :D

I invite additional speculation and different interpretations - I just want to get this RIGHT. :)

- Gabe

P.S. Andres - the lips may indeed be flush in the screen-used emitter because the Ring of Holes was pushed further in than the sample Chris posted photos of. In my model, I only recessed the ring enough to show a step, but not enough for the lip to be flush. I'm sure my lip height is a bit off anyway, so it's premature to draw any hard conclusions.

If only Alec Guiness knew he was carrying a a grenade, jet engine parts, and a sink knob.

This is a historical day. This thread will be archived right.?

Gabe, getting it right will be come scads easier when we get dimensions. :D

I understood Chris to be saying that the inserted ring of holes visible from the front is separate, and that there is another ring of holes behind that which is of the same material as the main body.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back