Found! Obi-Wan Kenobi ANH Lightsaber Emitter

Here's a thought, could be wrong, could be right, I am far from an emitter expert, so I don't know.

My guess, there was a crush ring in the original emitter, but the prop guys ripped it out and back filled it with glue.

That could also explain the slight countersink of the ROH. As the glue dried, the ROH started to slide back (i.e., they glued the ring in the flange, and then stood the flange up on the neck part of the emitter).

Because if you look at the cutaway, the ROH is actually set forward of the flange (i.e. the two ROHs are the two mating faces, the flanges give the lock ring something to lock together).

Which would really bring up the question of the bevel in the ROH. If they are the 2 mating faces of the coupler, what purpose would 2 counter bevels serve, unless one is an inward bevel and one is an outward (and that would make sense with a unidirectional flame travel - wow, I even out geeked myself :lol). two counter bevels would do nothing but create extreme turbulance (as it would create a pocket of swirling fire), and lead to a possible explosion.

My vote is either for no bevel or one inward bevel and one outward bevel (I guess conical would be the best terminolgy).

there's some food for thought, let me know what you think

Now, as far which way do we go, idealistic or accurate? I'm not sure accurate is possible without adding that thin metal ring (which would be the remnant of the crush ring) or gluing everyone's ROH in place. Idealistic would be easiest of course, but my vote is accurate (of course, I'd also love to have the real deal and not have to worry about it, but I'm pretty sure that won't happen)

And Gabe, I agree that you do see the thin wall tube on the innermost part of the ROH. The ROH is most likely press fit on that inner tubing.

-Fred

The script writing along the ring says "RR8RGJ"

I would guess that's for Rolls Royce 8 (as in Derwent 8)...

It might just be an internal part ID added by the museum. It looks hand engraved especially the last two letters which are slightly larger.

OK, now the really nit picky question.

Is the actual piece used for the OWK emitter from the Mk 8?

The piece Chris has is, and yes it confirms the source, but is it possible that the piece they used was from an earlier model? There could be slight differences in a previous model that would better match some of the photos we have of the original prop.

If we can't confirm that, can we confirm that the interconnect was a piece that didn't change from model to model then?

The tube behind the lip appears to be part of the lip. So the lip may be one piece with the outer ring of holes fitting around it.

If the outer ring of holes was removed, the lip would have been machined off, which would explain why its remnants are not easily noticed.

First off, Chris, great job :thumbsup . I wish some of my leads had been this forthcoming.

Second, see what happens when I start a dissertation on the possiblities of the parts, you come along and show the real deal. Now I just look like I don't know what I'm talking about :lol (not that I do, but I do like to pretend, or at least keep up the appearance).

Again, great detective work :D.

-Fred

Originally posted by JHVanOphem@Oct 5 2005, 11:51 AM
OK, now the really nit picky question.

Is the actual piece used for the OWK emitter from the Mk 8?

The piece Chris has is, and yes it confirms the source, but is it possible that the piece they used was from an earlier model? There could be slight differences in a previous model that would better match some of the photos we have of the original prop.

If we can't confirm that, can we confirm that the interconnect was a piece that didn't change from model to model then?
[snapback]1090449[/snapback]​
This is a very good question.

The engineer who told me the part we want is from a Mk 9 had rebuilt a Mk 8 and is now rebuilding a Mk 9, so he seems qualified to make the statement.

But until I hear more from him, or we see some sort of drawings (Rolls Royce contact has been made and I am awaiting response), his statement is unconfirmed.

I just wet myself........

Sorry I shared too much, didnt I?

I am quite excited to see that. Good work guys.
:cheers

I just cant wait for the gear and then........BAM.

Obi saber....finaly complete.

Dare I say this could be legen.................wait for it.........I hope your not lactose intolerant cause the next part is....dary. :lol :lol :lol

Sorry, I am an Ubergeek :confused :rolleyes :lol :lol :p B)

I think the MK8 is most likely the one used in ANH, as I always have, since the only engine I've seen with the correct "IG-88 head" was an 8.

I think the interconnector pictured matches the prop perfectly.
We just need to adjust our thinking of the real prop a little. You must "unlearn what you have learned" from a few black and white pics and screencaps. We have these preconceived notions about the piece, but when you look at the real thing and compare it closely to the prop you'll see it's right.
As my contact said the ring of holes comes out to reveal another ring of holes that is a part of the rear tube (which is also darker metal like on the prop). The ANH prop department didn't have to do anything to this piece, except remove the ring.
My source figures the interconnector they used "blew" this ring anyway so it was easily removed.

This feels ... unreal. I can't believe it has been found.
I'm so happy :cry

Great work, guys. :thumbsup

Have you compared it to any replicas?

Serafino,
Could your guy just have said MK9 because that's what he's currently working on? (the parts he most recently handled etc.) If they're the same on both the 8 and 9 I could see why he said 9 for this reason.
I'd be curious if the 9 he's working on has the correct "IG-88 heads" too.
Do we have ANY pics of a Derwent MK9?
I might be possible to rule it out based on other parts too, like the air intakes (used on the vehicles in ANH).

Originally posted by lonepigeon@Oct 5 2005, 03:25 PM
I think the MK8 is most likely the one used in ANH, as I always have, since the only engine I've seen with the correct "IG-88 head" was an 8.
[snapback]1090470[/snapback]​

Aha, well that certainly lends more credence to which model.

I wasn't doubting anyone, just asking the questions I thought should be asked so we don't mis-identify the piece.

A somewhat related question is then, how many companies provided interconnects for the Mk 8? Could there be minor differences from manufacturers that would still meet tolerances required or the engine? Of course we may never really know, plus there could be minor differences from year to year.

If the theory that the original emitter came from an engine that was damaged, then there could be other differences from the original to the prop besides the ring of holes.

One other thing I note from the pictures. How did the emitter attach to the grenade? Did they use some other bit of the engine that made a good fit or is it some simple connection?

I don't think there's much that could vary about the piece.
I have a few other little Ep1 prop parts that came from aircraft and they have little variations but only in slight edge bevels or size of knurling.

Does anyone see anything different besides the ring of holes?
The ring of holes should be right once the piece is removed.

PS - I don't think there was anything else inside the interconnector judging by the part and diagrams, but I want to confirm that. That does leave HOW this was attached still open to interpretation.

Lots of epoxy?..........

I think it looks spot on, I think thats the part.

The only question I have is where to get one.................

AWESOME WORK GUYS. JUST AWESOME.

Interesting thought I had... For the ROTS saber that Ewan carries, the emiiter has a lip on the ring of holes just like this piece discovered... Do you think they knew all along or what?

I have been thoroughly enjoying this thread, and I have to say that this may be the coolest thing I've seen on the boards since I've been here. This is just unbelievable. Great, great work. And thank you for sharing the info.

-Corey

Alright, the engine this one came off is confirmed as a MK8 that was upgraded to a MK9.
I think the interconnector is likely identical on both and was left alone.

I have MUCH more to report, but I have to go out.
More later..

:eek

Hot frelling damn guys. :cheers

Been following this thread and it's just flat out amazing the turns it's taken just in this one, let alone the previous incarnations of the "what about this idea" threads.

It's just astounding that it was found at all being that it's such a hidden and not even visible piece on an engine that hardly ever sees the light of day.

Serious kudos to everyone involved in one of the last great mysteries. Absolutely amazing detective work.

:thumbsup

A real honest to goodness Obi emitter in hand. Inconceivable. :lol

Oh, man... I think I can die happy now... almost.

Great job, everyone. What a day. It is truly a thing of beauty. That inner lip blows my mind.

KD

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back