Found! Obi-Wan Kenobi ANH Lightsaber Emitter

I just got to work and :eek
I am quite excited that this was found. I have yet to contribute to this thread because I had nothing meaningful to add. I have faith that this is the year of the gear.

Originally posted by vaderdarth@Sep 29 2005, 11:38 AM
You may be right............that last diagram is very promising.
[snapback]1086203[/snapback]​
I should have mentioned that the purple gear/spline was my addition - just wanted to show its possible location... Hope I didn't give anyone a start, lol. :p

My only issue with my own theory is that nothing seems to be engaging the gear/spline behind the cover plate. It would serve no purpose to just sit inside the receiving main drive shaft... so here's another thought: what if that cover plate is an access cover to the shaft, and our gear/spline is part of an external tool used to manually turn the gears in order to maintain and/or inspect of the turbine blades and other engine components? It's longer than the female receiver in the shaft end, so perhaps the excess length sits inside chuck with similar grooves, and that chuck is attached to a spanner or crank handle?

If someone is having trouble visualizing what I mean, speak up and I'll model it in 3D :)

- Gabe

Ok, still havent slept, been watching this thing non-stop for updates.. This is simply brilliant to say the least.

Unfortunately, I will not be 100% sold until I see a picture that is clear as day. Though I am 95% sold at this point :)

Great work............ Also, has anyone contacted MigMan about this, I notice he is selling a jet cockpit in the JunkYard and he may be a fountain of information for jet engine information.

:eek
So we might have the emitter AND the gear too?????????????????????

THIS CAN'T BE.........................

Careful it might be one of the seven seals of the apocolyps :p

ah hell it's worth it. LOL

Great work guys.

I will be watching this thread with great interest. :D

Boy, I step away from the computer for a few hours and look what happens :).

Gabe, did you ever get any response from Ian Bennett (the derwent page owner)?

I would love to see this all work out. It's fun to be part of these things, even if all I did was give it a name and some color :lol.

Here's to hoping for the best,
Fred

I was so excited when I read this thread this morning, my co-worker (actually my boss) asked "why so happy?"

I explained it all to her, and she asked "ok...but why are YOU so happy, did you help?" :(

I told her "no, but I was there for moral support, you know, like supporting our troops over seas." :D

She smiled and said "OK" :unsure

I am such a geek......:D

Ubergeekdom Roxers. B)

Gabe,
In your post #139, you're looking at the second pic of the wheelcase housing from the wrong angle. The top pic is from the rear, the bottom from the front.

I think the gear is connected to the impeller drive shaft, not under that plate. The plate is on the front tof the engine. The female spline is what connects the wheelcase to the impeller via the drive shaft. The end of the drive shaft will have a 16 tooth male spline gear on it. In the diagram where you drew in the gear, move it to the end of the impeller drive shaft. There it will sit in the female spline.

If we can find a pic of the impeller drive shaft, we'll be able to confirm this.

Very exciting.

-Fred

dude did you guys never notice the RR stamped in the emmiter...

jeeze old news. :p

just kidding, this IS very exciting i agree with polluxius.

even though i havent helped in any way, i have watched this thread daily with great interest. :D

if and when we get actuall confirmation, there should be a simultanious round the globe RPF party. :D :D

Originally posted by Miniaturizer Ray@Sep 29 2005, 02:17 AM
Those look like an artist's interpretation of involute gears, to me.  As I said above, I think that we're looking for a spline.

Look at this:  Maybe the spline circled in blue is our boy, or maybe the spline that fits into the shaft circled in red could be.  I expect there are other candidates, too.

splines.jpg

[snapback]1086158[/snapback]​

I'm liking the red circled area- if we can find the inners for that..

Looking at the Blue circle... could the piece/gear we are looking for look SIMILAR to that though.. meaning it wouldn't just be the "gear" and end with the gears, but have an extra part-extrusion on it..... maybe say to connect to the grenade and the Clamp would fit onto that part?

Just a thought.

Somebody please look at this page, about halfway down and see if you can enlarge that picture that shows the drive shaft. I realize this is the Welland engine, but it is a predacessor to the derwent and may have similar parts. There may be the splined gear we're looking for on the end of that shaft. If the gear is part of the shaft, my theory is that they cut just enough of the shaft so that it would be held in place by the graflex clamp.

If there's no gear on here then there's one difference at least between the welland and the derwent. I'm positive there is a 16 gear male splined gear at the end of the derwent's impeller drive shaft that interlocks it to the wheelcase. Whether or not the dimensions are correct is hard to tell with little to no scale.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/pwgrieve/newpage5.html

-Fred

Anybody have a part number from the jet engine tube? I am checking some of my parts and have emailed a friend of mine who deals in surplus parts to see what we can find but a part number would speed up things considerably. I also now some friends who have some early Russian jet engines and they are checking as well. I will let you guys know as soon as I find out anything. Great detective work guys.

-MM

Originally posted by Gigatron@Sep 29 2005, 09:35 AM
If the gear is part of the shaft, my theory is that they cut just enough of the shaft so that it would be held in place by the graflex clamp. 
[snapback]1086486[/snapback]​
If the right part is found there will be plenty of opportunity to theorize about how it was attached. The thing is, it doesn't even matter right now, so long as the 'gear' aspect is the same.

And remember it looks very much as though the prop 'gear' was shortened from a longer length--i.e. longer than 1.5 "

Originally posted by MigMan@Sep 29 2005, 01:43 PM
Anybody have a part number from the jet engine tube? I am checking some of my parts and have emailed a friend of mine who deals in surplus parts to see what we can find but a part number would speed up things considerably. I also now some friends who have some early Russian jet engines and they are checking as well. I will let you guys know as soon as I find out anything. Great detective work guys.

-MM
[snapback]1086496[/snapback]​

Just thought this needed repeating for anyone who might have an idea of the part number.

Thanks MigMan for offering your services...

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back