Foam Iron Man Mk VI WIP

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by THExEVILxTW1N, Dec 1, 2011.

1. THExEVILxTW1N

THExEVILxTW1N Member

Hey guys, I've been a member here for a little bit, but more of a lurker than a poster. I'm also a member over at the 405th.

Basically (as the title implies), I decided to do a foam Iron Man. I am not new to pepping and have previously pepped and resined other Iron Man pieces in previous failures. The resining and fiberglassing was actually coming along fine, I had the chest and complete left arm done and a three helmets resined up...I just felt wearing a hard plastic armor around was too difficult and limiting so I put them away.

Recently, I had seen some of Stealth's work ( :thumbsup ) and have been re-motivated to try it again but in foam instead. I have downloaded and used the files he has posted as a basic reference, but I have modified most of the files in some way, changing some of the cuts/pieces in Pepakura Designer in order to better follow the body lines seen in the movie.

AS A NOTE, I AM 5'8" 188 LBS. I USED A SCALE FACTOR OF 24.7 FOR ALL MY PIECES UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED.

I'm a month into the project now (11/30/11) and have a great portion completed. I wanted to create this thread to help out those that are going to give it a try and learn from my mistakes and my successes. I'll also be posting up what this project is costing in order for people to know what this thing realistically costs. In this first post I will list (and updated) all the items I have used in my project. If I have requests to post my versions of the Pepakura files, I will.

-----------------
    Items Used / Total Cost as of 11/30/11
    -----------------
    SUPPLIES
    ------------
    6mm foam.............. $60
    Buckles/Strapping.... $40
    Hot Glue................ $20
    Xacto Blades.......... $12
    Velcro.................... $15

TOOLS
    ------------
    Scissors................. $10
    Glue Gun................ $3
    Xacto Knife............ $7
    Cutting board......... $20
    Ducktape dummy.... $20
    Dremel.................. $90

TOTAL................... $297

----------------

This is still going to go up considerably. A Dremel isn't 100% necessary, but it is definately worth it if you want clean angles. I also bought the Xacto blade intended to cut 45* angles, but found it too difficult to use when cutting rounded areas. Also, you may find better deals than me, I've been buying the majority of my stuff at Michael's. For the Velcro, I DO NOT RECOMMEND the industrial strength stuff. It does not lay very flat. I do recommend Ultra-Mate "Low Profile Fastener" Velcro. MUCH BETTER. Anyways, my next post will be where the thread will take off from.

Another note, I will be posting with higher quality pics (not crappy phone pics) so you will probably see more imperfections than with blurry phone pics.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  2. THExEVILxTW1N

THExEVILxTW1N Member

The Good Stuff

Ok... here we go. I have comleted the majority of the upper torso of the project.

THE NECK

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The neck opens and closes with one buckle on the base. I will probably add a thin piece of foam in the gap seperated the front and back of the neck.

[​IMG]

-----------

THE CHEST BRACE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I split the chest plate from the front center and used only one buckle

[​IMG]

------------

THE BICEP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

------------

THE FOREARM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

------------

THE ABS / UPPER COD PIECE

I merged the upper cod piece with the abs for a cleaner look. The crotch and butt plate will be a separate detachable piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to give myself a couple extra inches around the waist at the back where it attaches. I comfortably wear size 35-36 jeans. If I had to guess, the standard size waist (24.7 scale) is about a size 32 jean, maybe slightly smaller. I did not want the ab piece to be scaled bigger since I did not want a longer torso. I think it'll look better once I add the spine (no, not fat spine pieces either!!). I used Velcro on the attaching section.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  3. THExEVILxTW1N

THExEVILxTW1N Member

More good stuff

THE SHOULDER

[​IMG]

I attached the shoulder to the chest plate/back using two buckles with adjustable straps. I chose two buckles to help keep the shoulder in the correct position.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--------------

THE BACK

The red pieces you see are thinner (2mm) foam. The two bottom pieces had some funky gaps to fill and I needed something more plyable than the normal 6mm foam.

[​IMG]

I attached the back to the chest piece using velcro.

[​IMG]

--------------

THE CHEST PLATE / COMPLETE AS OF NOW 11/30/11

[​IMG]

I used the foam Stealth had recommended (I had to special order it from Sears) on the chest plate (it was actually one of the first pieces I had done). I personally did not like it much. I just couldn't get the mat to uncurl right. I tried curling it the opposite way, ironing it, heat gun, placing large flat objects, and cutting it into smaller (manageable) squares. Nothing worked. It would be OK, but as soon as a piece was cut, it would curl slightly. The chest piece still came out fine since some of the other pieces attached to it help give it the proper shape. This is the only part I used the mat foam on. Otherwise, I have been using the 1/4" / 6mm foam (9x12) sold at michaels (.99 cents ea). The foam sold at Michaels (vertually identical to the "foamies" brand) is probably 1mm thinner than that mat, but it is a little tougher to bend. Also, the mat appears to be more porous, but I haven't confirmed that.

Here is the upper torso with a primed pepped paper helmet I have had laying around for over a year.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  4. THExEVILxTW1N

THExEVILxTW1N Member

I'm not sure I want to attach the forearms/elbow directly onto the bicep. I think this would really limit the amount of movement I could have if I do. Anybody have any suggestions as to how I could help keep the elbows over the bicep tabs more often than not, but not have them directly connected?

5. STEALTH

STEALTH Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is looking excellent. Good call on the Paper helmet too :)

I wouldn't worry too much about attaching the biceps to the forearms.
    Not sure what you're planning to do in this suit, but it won't be so bad to have them attached.
    I didn't really have any problems and it was nice to not have the forearms sliding down on me.

If you can find a better solution, it's all good. Whatever works for you in the end is what matters.

6. THExEVILxTW1N

THExEVILxTW1N Member

Thanks Stealth, I probably (99%) would not have given the foam a try if it wasnt for your vids! What did you do to get the foam mat to lay down flat?

If I cant find a way to keep the forarms from falling down, then I will have to attach them to the bicep. Did you feel attaching them to the bicep hurt mobility at all? I'm not gonna break dance in this thing, just maybe a little dancing come next halloween lol

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  7. TKRalph

TKRalph Well-Known Member

Looks great! You can try to stuff the inside of the forearms w/ foam blocks. That should keep the forearms from sliding down

8. dabiddabird

dabiddabird Well-Known Member

You could probably use some elastic bands to connect the bicep to the forearm. That should allow a great deal of mobility.

9. Graphic Jordan

Graphic Jordan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great work! Love the look of that foam. May I ask where you got it from?

10. rustysprattdesigns

rustysprattdesigns Well-Known Member

What you've got so far looks great! Keep it up!:thumbsup

11. j0wE

j0wE Well-Known Member

He said the chest is the anti fatigue mat that STEALTH, myself and dabbidabird use(Best Step) and the rest is 6mm foam from Michaels.

and you really need to get back on your MK6...

And TWIN, this is looking awesome!

12. Graphic Jordan

Graphic Jordan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have decided to start a War Machine. I regret doing the Mark 6 in 4mm. :(

Jowe... does the Best Step Floor Mats come rolled or in squares?

13. dabiddabird

Wow this is some really clean work you got here. Great job! :thumbsup
    It comes is a roll that is 1/4 in thick and 46in x 93in. Price is from 15 to 25 dollars per roll. You can get it from a lot of places like Walmart, Pep Boys, Sears, and others.

I was really looking forward to you completing your Mark VI :(

14. j0wE

j0wE Well-Known Member

can I has your mk6 Jordan?

/threadjack over

15. THExEVILxTW1N

THExEVILxTW1N Member

What was wrong with the 4mm foam? your suit was just about done, what happened?

16. THExEVILxTW1N

THExEVILxTW1N Member

thanks! I had also thought of using strong magnets. This way, if I really bend, the magnet will have some give... I tried out the magnet idea and it didnt work. The magnets were too strong and detached from it's glued spot.

I'll see where I can run some of the elastic material... im thinking under the bicep tab and onto the elbow, just dont know where exactly.

17. erictank

erictank Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That looks really sharp!

I'll tell you, the quality of foam suits and parts being posted here is just phenomenal. I tried a Mk VI chestplate this week, and once I got some contact cement to attach the pieces with (Modge Podge doesn't actually work too well for holding sections together...), it's like it just flew together. My stepdaughter might actually get her Iron Man armor finished for her now - I'd said I'd do one for her well over a year ago now, but the pep helmet was just kicking my butt.

I look forward to seeing further developments, Evil Twin! It looks great!

18. B1baduz7

B1baduz7 New Member

I have to admit it , that looks awesome . I suppose you don't need to use some much velcro . But what the heck , that looks awesome :lol

19. THExEVILxTW1N

THExEVILxTW1N Member

UPDATE:

BUTT PLATE

I made the butt plate (and crotch) separate. I made both removeable from the upper cod piece. They are held together with velcro.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. THExEVILxTW1N

THExEVILxTW1N Member

UPDATE:

ATTACHING ABS TO UPPER TORSO

I added a buckle to the front of the abs and attached it to the chest piece with a buckle. I did this so that the ab piece would not accidently come out in front of the chest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also put a piece of velcro on the back of the abs to keep the location consistent so when I make the spine pieces.

[​IMG]

21. THExEVILxTW1N

THExEVILxTW1N Member

UPDATE:

SPINE

I completed the spine. I glued one part to the "butt plate", two pieces to the back ab section, and the others directly to the back. Overall, very easy. I also bevelled the edges of the pieces (same as the side ab pieces to give it a little better look.

[​IMG]

22. roy

roy Member

top notch...:thumbsup

23. THExEVILxTW1N

THExEVILxTW1N Member

Thanks, the same can be said about your work. VERY CLEAN. Any progress?

24. dabiddabird

Haha would love to see how people react when the see Iron Mans shins and boots in the stall next door :lol

25. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

Outstanding, Outstanding, Outstanding!

26. THExEVILxTW1N

THExEVILxTW1N Member

Thanks! :thumbsup

Now that I got the majority of the upper torso done, I started doing the left thigh... looks like it may take a little bit. I still have to figure out how I'm gonna attach/align the neck piece to the chest brace and then the chest brace to the chest plate. Also, still have to figure out how to hold the forearms and biceps in place.

27. pRoJectEarth7

pRoJectEarth7 Well-Known Member

Very well DONE!:):thumbsup... thanks for sharing...

cheers!

28. callmemilo

callmemilo Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

dude, phenomenal progress, the suit looks great and i'm impressed with your method of combining and customising the pieces

29. THExEVILxTW1N

THExEVILxTW1N Member

Thanks! I plan on ordering a set of eyes and possibly the hand repulsors as well from you soon.

Thank you. It seems like every major part has one or two "custom" pieces where the print out doesnt quite work in order for it to be completed.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  30. THExEVILxTW1N

THExEVILxTW1N Member

Ok... doing the leg, it seems like its going to come out too long. I'm only like 1/4 of the way done but I'm gonna go ahead and finish it to see if I were to use a smaller scale factor if the leg would fit width wise. I may also modify (cut) the current (long) thigh to see if that would work too.

Anybody whose done the legs before, have you had to use a smaller scale factor for the legs than what is typically used on the upper body? My legs are of average proportion to my body btw.

31. THExEVILxTW1N

THExEVILxTW1N Member

Ok, I completed the left thigh. As I had guessed, it was too long (tall). But it was also too narrow. It is still very useable though, I might cut approx. 1/2" to 3/4" off the top all around and approx. 1/4" from the bottom (where the knee meets the shin." I also will an extended piece in order to make it wider. I'll post the results.

BTW, with the scale factor of 24.7, the thigh piece was a better fit height wise for my friend, who is 6'1". It is also too tight without some sort of extension piece.

32. Shadow333

Shadow333 Member

clean work man....Im experimenting with shirt buttons on foam the kind you rivet from the back and snap shut seems to work well with the smaller pieces.

33. THExEVILxTW1N

THExEVILxTW1N Member

I've looked into that as well. I think 1/4" foam is too thick for buttons, but they should work for the 2/3 mm stuff.

34. Camtrack

Camtrack New Member

looks great !!!

35. MrBibou

MrBibou Active Member

I actually had to decrease the size of the legs files of 10% because they were way to long and big originally.

They fit me well now ;)

I also had to reduce the arm for the same reason :)

36. THExEVILxTW1N

THExEVILxTW1N Member

If you don't mind me asking, what's your weight/height?

37. MrBibou

MrBibou Active Member

I live in France so we don't use the same measurement unit.
    I'm 178cm tall for 65kg.

According to google i'm 5 feet 11 inches for 143 lbs :)

38. Blackdynamo2

Blackdynamo2 Well-Known Member

Nice! I love your ingenuity. Your connecting concept is fantastic. I'm glad you guy's come up with ways to make these builds work better! and more fun! Keep Building!....

39. THExEVILxTW1N

THExEVILxTW1N Member

Thanks, I took a lot of my connecting from STEALTH, mine is just a variation from his really. There's stuff that will definitely borrowed from your build as well being as it's one of the very best out there.

40. simul8r

simul8r Member

Well since you've now mentioned connectors :) can I ask where did you get your supply. Ebay or were these salvaged from old backpacks here and there?

41. THExEVILxTW1N

THExEVILxTW1N Member

I've been buying from Michaels and Jo-Anns at roughly $3.50 ea. I'm positive you can find it for cheaper elsewhere. Btw, they are all 1" buckles, except for the smaller neck one which is a 3/4" buckle.

42. quovadis0920

quovadis0920 Sr Member

looks excellent by far! keep it up! :thumbsup

43. licker

licker New Member

excellent work!
    I'm starting with the armor, please could you upload your Pepakura files?? That would be helpful!!

thanks!!!

44. THExEVILxTW1N

THExEVILxTW1N Member

No prob, I'll be uploading them soon! They are largely the same as STEALTH's files, but they do have some noticeable tweaks on a few parts. Some are the same too tho. I'll also be taking pictures of the parts where I had to do some "custom" pieces so you guys will know where the challenging parts tend to be where you have to get a little creative.

45. THExEVILxTW1N

THExEVILxTW1N Member

Sorry haven't updated in a while, I been busy... I finally got re-hired at my job (I was laid off) so I'm back to work.

I completed the two thighs. I left the scale factor at 24.7, but had to cut approximately 3/8" - 1/2" off the top all around and also about 1/4" - 3/8" off the bottom where the shins meet the thighs. It now fits PERFECTLY. I'll take pics soon to post.

46. THExEVILxTW1N

THExEVILxTW1N Member

Off Topic, but I also forgot to add another reason I have lagged this past week +... I've been helping my friend make his Cap't shield.

[​IMG]

The star hasn't been attached yet.

47. izabel

izabel Sr Member

:thumbsup

as suggested by dabiddabird, you can use elastics in connecting the biceps to the forearms. it will not limit your mobility especially if you're just doing the simple normal movements. you may use post screws to attach it from the inside. :)

48. strayrooster

strayrooster New Member

This thread is great, nice work! Very clean!!!

I would also be very interested in the Pep files as well, as I'll be starting my build soon :) Any suggestions you can give up to this point? Did you have any trouble with cutting/gluing?

Also, with the Dremel, what bit did you use? Did it chew up the foam at all while cutting?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  49. Stevie

Stevie New Member

That is lovely. What's it made from?

50. THExEVILxTW1N

THExEVILxTW1N Member

It's made originally from a metal (steel) sled. The star is sheet aluminum. Several people have built them the same way here on the forum.