Foam + Bondo Question.

JokerOfArkham

I'm currently working on a foam Starlord helmet and was planning on using bondo to smooth out some of the edges where the foam meets. I know that bondo isn't recommended for foam as it's not exactly flexible. I figure though that for a helmet, it doesn't need to be overly flexible. My main question is this: Should I use plastidip before applying bondo or should I apply the bondo to the foam then plastidip the whole thing?

Hey Joker
Try this product called Epsilon from Smooth-on products. It's perfect for foam. It will harden your pieces and can be sanded and filled with spot putty. The product is self leveling, but I recommend using a good paint brush when applying

Hey Joker
Try this product called Epsilon from Smooth-on products. It's perfect for foam. It will harden your pieces and can be sanded and filled with spot putty. The product is self leveling, but I recommend using a good paint brush when applying

Thanks for the suggestion!! I'd be totally game to try it out, but I'm trying to get this done before May 2nd, so I don't really have the time to order the Epsilon. I'm just wondering if the Bondo will adhere properly to the foam or if I would need to plastidip it first.

As someone who has personally experimented with Foam / Bondo it is not an ideal combination, but it will adhere if you rough up the foam edges a bit first.

If you are going to try this method, definitely Plasti-Dip last. I think that Bondo over Plasti-Dip would make it more likely to fall apart since Plasti-Dip is meant to peel.

Another solution is to make Rondo. A mix of 50% Resin and 50% Bondo. I know for a fact it will stick to foam treated with plastidip I recommend you work in small batches and wear a respirator.

Rondo for working on a budget. Smooth-On's XTC-3D also works on foam but it won't build up like Epsilon does, just gives a fairly hard (albeit thin), glossy surface. I tried straight Bondo on resin-coated foam and the bondo all curled up at the edges. Always test on a scrap piece when in doubt. Good luck!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back