Flight of the Navigator Trimaxion Drone Ship

The 3D print that I got had a circular hole in the bottom, so I ended up using Apoxie sculpt to fill it, as well as some deeper shift lines. After all the sanding, I primed, painted and then put gloss clear coat on. In total I probably spent over three hours on it, but it turned out ok. I'm still in awe being able to hold this in my hands when all I could do as a kid was rewind the movie over and over again. My only complaint is that I wish it was bigger, but this will do.

Attachments

• IMG-5829.jpg
    IMG-5829.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 186
  • IMG-5864.jpg
    IMG-5864.jpg
    644.4 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG-5865.jpg
    IMG-5865.jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG-5961.jpg
    IMG-5961.jpg
    774.2 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG-5963.jpg
    IMG-5963.jpg
    600.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG-5964.jpg
    IMG-5964.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG-5965.jpg
    IMG-5965.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 172
IMG_6236.jpg
IMG_6237.jpg

Made a couple a little smaller than the first try & these both came out pretty good - Planning to sand, prime & use Molotow chrome on these. Don't know if I'll try again at max size or not - Could go up to about 23CM tall on the Ender 3 Pro, Or I could just print the back end to match the half I already made.

I decided to have one 3D printed. So when the raw print finally arrives I'll come back here and post photos of the process of smoothing it out. I'm very hopeful to see the morphed high-speed version of this available to 3D print someday soon.

That's it, Davy!

I got my Phrozen Sonic 4k mini a little while ago and after 4 attempts finally managed to get this to print. It's as big as the mini can do with this model, about 5.75" long. I probably over did it on the supports but after 4 failures I wanted to be sure. The dimples will easily smooth over with some filler though. :)

20201221_154034.jpg
20201221_154128.jpg

Attachments

• 20201221_154034.jpg
    20201221_154034.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
That looks fantastic!

I've been thinking more about the paint finish. While I understand the film makers intent was to make a mercury-like-shine of chrome for their ship, the miniatures and full size sets don't very well look mirror like... (is it just me?...)

Spencer

That looks fantastic!

I've been thinking more about the paint finish. While I understand the film makers intent was to make a mercury-like-shine of chrome for their ship, the miniatures and full size sets don't very well look mirror like... (is it just me?...)

Spencer
I agree, but having said that I've so far not seen a chrome paint that's any good. The ones that do appear to be very shiny seem to be very fragile and will just rub off, so I think it's paint for me and I don't think I'll get a real chrome finish.

I think the CGI models has chrome look but the real models looks more silver or aluminum,probaly sprayed.

It is not easy to have a chrome look with the actual paints.The 3D model needs

-3D smoother
-Sanding
- Gloss black paint (2-3 layers)
- Polish
- Chrome paint( Alclad or AK Xtreme metal chrome)

I think the CGI models has chrome look but the real models looks more silver or aluminum,probaly sprayed.

It is not easy to have a chrome look with the actual paints.The 3D model needs

-3D smoother
-Sanding
- Gloss black paint (2-3 layers)
- Polish
- Chrome paint( Alclad or AK Xtreme metal chrome)

What kind of 3D smoother do you use?

I've just utilized Shapeways for my print. :)

The sleek version is going to be awesome, I'm very excited for the future in that regard.

My only concern is working out a nice display for this.

So does anyone have any good reference for the sleek version of the ship?

Apart from that one picture with the director holding the model I can't find anything outside of the movie itself, which is difficult to pull from as it's entirely mirror like and quite difficult to pull the shapes from.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back