Flight of the Navigator Trimaxion Drone Ship

There is a post here regarding a Prop Store auction of which the film model is part... even includes the morphing steps.
There is a .PDF of the catalog for download. Pages 138-139.

Very interesting. We get some hopefully exact measurements there too 16” x 12” x 8” (40.75 cm x 30.5 cm x 20.5 cm)

My Droneship and Max had to take a break due to moving country, and then covid happened which added some uncertainty to things which means a few other things have had priority. However I'm thinking of getting back to it very soon. I also have a 3D printer coming so I'll be wanting something to print.
I've not heard from DaveG in quite a while but I expect scanning some slides is not an essential service during Covid either.

I'm curious if anyone has tried printing the STL file I posted earlier in the thread?

I'm curious if anyone has tried printing the STL file I posted earlier in the thread?

Hey guys! I'm new to this forum, and just now joined RPF specifically so I could jump into this Flight of the Navigator conversation (though now that I'm here, I have no doubt I'm going to find plenty of other conversations to get excited about).

I stumbled onto this thread after doing a Google search for "Max" from Flight of the Navigator STL's. I grew up watching this movie and still love it, even as a "grown up". I've been 3D printing and designing for almost a year now, so I'm getting to the point where I'm more comfortable tackling some bigger printing projects that mean something to me. I liked the Drone ship STL's already available on Thingiverse (done by unkownhand and The Props Department) but I wanted to see what else was out there and I was really hoping to find a model of Max to print some day. Google brought me here, and I'm stoked.

Matte Painter, your STL of the drone ship is amazing! Thanks for all the work you've put into this! I'm so excited! I love that you worked directly from the wire frames drawings from the control room scene in the movie. I'm still learning 3D design (I'm using Fusion 360) so I can appreciate the amount of time you've spent making the Drone Ship so accurate. I've downloaded the Drone Ship STL and have added it to my print queue. I'm currently working on a Johnny 5 model from Short Circuit and a Delorean from Back to the Future that I need to finish up, but the Drone Ship is next on the list! I'll make sure and report back here as soon as I've had a chance to print it.

Also, let me just tell you how SUPER excited I am about your "Max" model! It looks amazing so far! Thanks for the hard work on that, especially with all of this Covid crap going on. Your Max model is what brought me here to RPF so I've got fingers crossed that you don't lose interest in the project. You're doing the Lord's work. Keep on fighting the good fight :lol:

Lastly, have you guys seen the Puckmarin that McKrats modeled on Thingiverse? I thought he did a great job on that. That guy's on my list as well. I'm starting to think I need to get a second 3D printer...

Hi Jay. I updated the STLs from earlier in the thread just now taking into account the new measurements from the Propstore auction. Unsurprisingly the screengrabs from the movie were a little warped, however easily fixed. So getting closer each time.
I've also added a hollowed version with a drain hole / stand (1cm dia) which might be useful for printing.
I hope to hear from DaveG before I carry on with Max but I may carry on regardless, depends on how timing goes.
Yes, I had seen the Puckmarin on Thingiverse, it's very good indeed.
I'd love so see how the droneship turns out. I'll be getting my 3D printer up and running in a few weekends I hope.

Thanks so much Matte! It looks so good! I'm getting excited about this project so I might have to pump the brakes on Johnny 5 and move the Drone ship up in the print queue. As soon as I do, I'll share my efforts here and let you know how it turns out. The hollow version will help tremendously.

I'll stay tuned in on this forum for updates from you and DaveG on Max. Super appreciative of what you guys have done/are doing.

Thanks again for being so willing to share your STL's. You rock.

Took a grab of the updated proportions
Update_20-08-18.jpg

Thanks guys but Rahn420 linked to the auction PDF earlier above in chat, it's what the new STL is based off. :)

The prop model is a little softer in the creases than the CG model in the movie it appears, which the vast majority of the movie is using, so my model is a little sharper. Plus, I'm thinking a few coats of primer and multiple sanding sessions will soften it out anyway.

Hey Matte, would you also do the first class maneuver "morph" mode as well? I'm so interested on that!
I want to yes, but I want to be able to morph between them, just so I can say I did :) It'll be a little more difficult and likely less accurate as there is less material out there of that mode.

Hi all,like all of you I love this movie since I was a child.I have asked some budgets to print the matte painter file(amazing work) and the prices are extremely high.

Any help?.

Thanks in advance.

I had a friend of mine print this off for me. I don't know which file he used but it will need some TLC before I can paint it. It's pretty cool to hold a small replica of a childhood memory in my hand!

Attachments

• IMG-5651.jpg
    IMG-5651.jpg
    696.7 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG-5652.jpg
    IMG-5652.jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG-5648.jpg
    IMG-5648.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 207
Well... I was printing one at about 24 cm long on my ender 3 pro - Got to around 60% & the hot end knocked it off the print bed - What I got looks pretty cool - I'll try to get a pic. Don't think I had adequate support in the slice.

Thanks a bunch for posting the model - We watched the movie last night!

So here's how far I got - You can see the lines where it shifted twice before getting thrown off the build plate n the middle of the night.

So here's how far I got - You can see the lines where it shifted twice before getting thrown off the build plate n the middle of the night.

View attachment 1371675

View attachment 1371675
View attachment 1371676
That looks really good despite the shifting. Nothing a good fill and sand can't fix. Have you made any further progress?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back