Flesh and hide Rocketeer Jacket....thoughts?

giric thren

Hey guys,

I'm currently working on a dream project. The Rocketeer. I have the helmet, and am going to start the pack soon. So I am wondering about the jacket. I am looking for something inexpensive, that I'll upgrade later.

I saw someone on Facebook that got a Flesh and Hide rocketeer jacket, and they love it. I noticed that it didn't have the wrist straps, and probably not the side straps either. I contacted the seller, and they agreed to sell some extra leather so I can add those details on..

My question, what is the opinion of this jacket?

Thanks again

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

The Rocketeer was a dream project for myself as well. I got my jacket through southbeachleather.com their work is outstanding. Prices are good and fast delivery.

received_1750056921882101-1.jpgreceived_1747999355421191.jpeg2016-07-10 09.39.15.jpg

Those are some awesome pictures!!! Thanks for letting me know of your experience with South Beach. I think ill go with them......same price as flesh and hide, and it has the wrist/side straps

Those are some awesome pictures!!! Thanks for letting me know of your experience with South Beach. I think ill go with them......same price as flesh and hide, and it has the wrist/side straps

South beach does a great jacket. I got one, myself, and it has held up really well to a number of cons. Only thing is that the buttons weren't right - they came as domed buttons, when they should be flat - but those are easy enough to replace.

Mine did not have the wrist straps you're mentioning, but it was also something I purchased from them circa 2011, so it might have changed.

South beach does a great jacket. I got one, myself, and it has held up really well to a number of cons. Only thing is that the buttons weren't right - they came as domed buttons, when they should be flat - but those are easy enough to replace.

[url]http://i.imgur.com/unf2cD4l.jpg[/URL]

Mine did not have the wrist straps you're mentioning, but it was also something I purchased from them circa 2011, so it might have changed.
Where did you get the replacement buttons?

I haven't replaced them yet - the photo above shows what they look like when I got them from South Beach Leather. As I said, though, this was some years ago, so they may have changed to more accurate ones, especially if they're also now doing the wrist strap.

I had the same problem with the buttons I used on the jacket I made in 1991. I finally got around to locating an almost perfect replacement button about a year and a half ago. I found them on Amazon. They are from C&C Metal Products Corp. #5008 Rimmed Metal button, size 36. They are a polished gold color but should age well and look better than the domed buttons I originally had. One other thing I noticed after looking close at some stills I had, the shoulder straps have snaps not buttons. Unfortunately, the only current picture I have is before the buttons were replaced and the side, cuffs and shoulder straps finally got added. The original Helmet I had made while working on the rest of the outfit back then is being reworked. It is 16 gauge steel and it needs reshaping. The front is too flat instead of curved in. We had few pictures to go from at the time, although my armorer did a great job with the short time frame we had to get it all done in 2 weeks. The helmet in this picture was one I got from a friend who made it too small for himself but was just the right size for me, so I got a good deal on it and finished it up with a custom padded interior and chopped the lenses out of a spare flight helmet visor in my parts bin.

Orycon-Portrait-009.jpg

I purchased my South Beach jacket in mid-2015; It has the wrist strap but looks like they might still be using the same buttons. I've been leaning towards getting another jacket that's a bit darker in color when I build the X3 (currently pairing the jacket with a comic-style pack).

rocketeer.jpg

I've got a flesh and hide jacket, real leather and very comfortable. Good quality for the price, and very soft leather. The center top button is off center though, other than that it's a nice jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazon has the buttons. Here is the description: C&C Metal Products Corp. #5008 Metal Rimmed buttons, polished gold, size 36.

Hate to resurrect a thread, but it seemed to be a good place to ask this question - people who got the Southbeach coat, did you order the tan or brown leather?

Well, I know it's a bit of an old thread but I'll chime in with my opinion on the Flesh and Hide jacket.

First of all, I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality! I am 5'9" tall, and 165 lbs and the medium fits like it was tailored for me. The color is more like a rust color compared to what is shown in the pictures, which I think looks pretty good.

The things which are not accurate are the dome shaped buttons, the lack of straps at the waist and cuffs and the off-center top middle bib button. Also, the epaulet buttons should not be buttons at all, but snaps as on the real jacket. Additionally, it seems like all the jackets being advertised as Rocketeer jackets share the same trait of being WAY TOO LONG!! This jacket should come down to just below the waist kinda like the old Ike jacket from WWII. The bib should be longer than the jacket itself in front, and have the characteristic "V" shape. At least the Flesh and Hide jacket has that shape to the bib, which is why I bought it. It was the ONLY jacket I saw that got this shape even close to correct.

Unfortunately, I still consider this jacket to not be accurate enough for me, therefore I bit the bullet and went with the Magnoli Clothiers jacket. You must furnish your measurements and they taillor the jacket to you. No more disproportionately long torso!! The length will look right on me because I gave them the measurements to make it so. :thumbsup It has all the details of the original screen used jacket and is VERY impressive. As far as I can see, it is the MOST accurate replica of the Rocketeer jacket available. Yes, it is expensive, and if you don't want to spend that much money on a jacket the F&H is actually still a great, high quality jacket especially for the money. Most people will never know the difference, but it it bothers YOU to know the differences, then well, you know what to do. It's what we obsessives do after all! :lol

Carry on, fellow fin-heads!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back