Firefox MIG-31 movie aircraft

Is your system based around an SSD or HDD? If HDD, you'll get much much better results with Rhino using an SSD. Single best PC upgrade ever!

My wife's into fan art...I'll let her know about your tip...ta!

Just realised how my post read, when I said "ground to a halt" what I meant was not the drive read, but moving it around in the viewport. I have actually worked in IT hardware and software support for the past 20 odd years, probably built 100+ PC's including my own and family's PC's. Mine is due an update as it's what would be considered an ancient heavily overclocked dual core, but it's still running fine 24/7 with an Nvidia GTX760 for gaming. The motherboard is SATA2/3Gb so not much point putting an SSD in it. I had been put off SSD's as I saw a pretty high failure rate in real use with the early ones. But the new generations seem to have fixed the issues, plus have the config software to stop Windows giving the drives a hard time with search indexes etc.
Apologies to the non nerdy people out there who have glazed over/fallen asleep from that paragraph!

I tried Rhino again and, I remembered something from xmas time when I was having problems moving between Rhino and Sketchup with the Powderpuff model, I hadn't forced the export to the earlier version Sketchup 8. Works perfectly now no problem.

The XNALara will let you add models for scene building, here's the Normandy from Mass Effect, not really into the game but the ship is cool. Will 3D print it at some point.
Normandy SR2.jpg

And of course the lovely Lara
Lara_grey.jpg

Last edited:
You might be surprised. In 2012 I added an SSD as system drive to a system I built in 2006; that change alone enabled me to load and rotate 2-4GB models quickly. On the spindle drive I'd been using prior, they were loadable but changes were taking 10-30 seconds to display. The previous drive was IDE not SATA, but even so. (I have a SATA spindle drive machine at work and it bogs just on freakin' email). With new M2 and PCIe SSDs the difference is even bigger, though not as dramatic as the change from IDE to SATA SSD. They're really nice and tidy though, especially the M2 format. The PCIe ones have bonus LED lightshows to boot. :) All that said, sounds like you've found the problem. I wouldn't have thought Rhino would bog on this model. (My huge ones are for my USS Cygnus project - tens of thousands of interpenetrating elements.)

Normandy II! Nice.

Dude it's a modelling forum. By definition, there are no non-nerdy people. :p :D

Normandy II! Nice.

Dude it's a modelling forum. By definition, there are no non-nerdy people. :p :D

The Normandy was very hard to find, if you want a copy I can put it on dropbox, and yes I thought afterwards maybe techie rather than nerdy!

Jeez, yes I remember putting an IDE drive in this machine for data recovery and thinking, were they really this slooooow?

I was convinced that Sata2/3Gb would bottleneck the drive, but checking some online tests it doesn't, hmmm might get one now. One thing that definitely helps is having data on a separate drive to the operating system, if you are running non SSD anyway.

Last edited:
Sounds good. It's a ripped mesh though right? Lots of work to make those printable. IIRC someone around here was already doing a *really* nice Normandy for print (Normandy 1, I think?) with a lot of nifty working features. Gotta find that thread again.

Yeah, give it a try. I think 256GB is still pretty much the sweet spot price-wise. Does your board have a spare PCIe slot? If so you can bypass the SATA issues *anyway* - after my lightning strike drama a couple of months ago I bought a 256GB PCIe SSD to replace the "old" (not - dammit) SATA SSD.

- - - Updated - - -

PS yeah, I'm still running big spindle drives for bulk storage. File read is *still* quicker than an all-spindle system. Haven't looked into it but I assume there's clever-clogs caching and such going on.

Firefox render 16.jpgFirefox render 13.jpgFirefox render 12.jpgFirefox render 14.jpg

Took some considerable mulling over how big the panel lines should be since the tailfins will be bureau printed and I don't want to have to pay for it twice! Decided on 0.15mm wide at 1/48th scale as I can use the same model to home print at 1/24th scale. Seems to look proportionally right in the renders and shows up the other fixes on the engine section more than the flat pics did, just looks right now.
I need to reduce the width of the ones I have done by about 30% so they match better, especially the wing leading edge one which I now realise look like canyon in comparison, not that big a deal as I have found a new tool which should speed the process up considerably.
The colouration jumps about between the renders as I was playing around trying to accurately reproduce the paint code colour I looked into way back near the start of the thread. Found out it is known as Audi Denim blue pearl and it is too blue even if the metallic amount was reduced, the base colour needs to be more neutral grey-blue. Not miles away in daylight but looks considerably more denim blue in indoor light.
Audi_denimbluepearl compare.jpgAudi LZ5W 8N3.JPG

Last edited:
Bet you could really put these to good use eh..? There's another lot of pics showing the full-size build from the McCune estate also...

0406.jpg

Just registered after years of lurking. Wow this is awesome. I'm glad someone took up the torch of making this a reality.

My fandom has got me the Laserdisc in the 90s, the DVD and stills in the 2000s, and the Bluray and the very detailed papercraft model in the 2010s.

Here's some pics of my papercraft build:
http://s1189.photobucket.com/user/Gary_Blessing/slideshow/firefox paper model build

Is there any way I could get a copy of the .SKP? just to drool over.

*thx for cinefex scans... i've been wanting to see that article for a long time.

Hi guys, haven't given up in case anyone was wondering, just had life to deal with, and a very bad back for the past few weeks.

Have more to add but so just a quick update, 1/24th panel line print test which looks spot on, the new NGEN print material holds the fine details much better providing you print as cool as possible and slow. I still have a vertical Z banding issue which can see as horizontal banding. This will be cured by redesigning the Z axis of my printer, printed gears are just impossible to get perfect.
Firefox 1-24 panel lines.jpg

Cockpit panel virtually done, this will only be around 20mm across and the individual buttons 0.3mm so just about viable to high res print I think. Also have most of a pretty good Clint pilot done.
Firefox cockpit panel.jpg

Started laying out panel lines on the full print I had done a while ago and could see I still had the wing root too thick and convex as the panel line should appear flat. Had one go over the weekend which still didn't look right, then finally with fresh eyes today finally worked out what I was getting wrong so finally will get it right on the 5th/6th attempt!
Firefox wing root.jpg

FirefoxUSSR, you're welcome, if there is any way I could copy protect the file I would send you a copy, no offence but you just don't know where it could end up and I have spent literally hundreds of hours on it.

BTW watched the auction, I think the same person bought all the Firefox stuff, was it anyone on here?

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement, finally have the wing body blend section looking right now, oddly enough Firefox was on the TV last night while I was working.

Firefox render 21.jpg

Needs a couple of minor adjustments as I am building the panel lines, which effectively divides the surface into smaller sections and will show the changes in geometry.

Rendered the cockpit panel for a bit of fun.
Firefox cockpit panel.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back