Firefox MIG-31 movie aircraft

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Firefox3D, May 26, 2015.

1. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

That sounds sublime! And it never occurred to me that the model was a grey/blue colour!

I honestly can't wait to see more. :)

Rich

2. Firefox3D

Firefox3D Well-Known Member

Cold/flu made a resurgence so didn't get a massive amount done last week, and was waiting for printing filament.
    DSCF0639.JPG
    Someone was asking about how much prep the prints would need, so this is about a 20-30 min sand then two coats of normal plastic primer, not the thick filler type. Found the panel lines need a needle file running through them to take the high spots out before priming, on this piece I did it after.
    IMG_20181029_145702.jpg IMG_20181029_145856.jpg
    Sanded back, there are a few low spot lines that would need spot filler, a high build primer would probably catch them. Found sanding was pretty easy with the foam sanding blocks I bought for woodworking, they hold water so you don't have to keep wetting and it's hard to over do it. Even the vicious looking 120 grit? side sands to an almost glass like finish, and you need very little pressure to get the job done. I had done similar test on the wing pieces, but didn't bother finishing them as I realised I could print the wing in one piece less the ailerons diagonally across the print bed.

IMG_20181029_145339.jpg IMG_20181029_145453.jpg IMG_20181029_145643.jpg

Working on the best way to split up the rear section and joints for the tailplanes etc.
    Firefox print parts.jpg

Apologies if someone on here was bidding on the Firefox studio blueprint that I just won on "that auction site"

Jon

IMG_20181029_145339.jpg

IMG_20181029_145453.jpg

IMG_20181029_145643.jpg

IMG_20181029_145702.jpg

IMG_20181029_145856.jpg

DSCF0639.JPG

Firefox print parts.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    torren_of_amber and 32buds like this.
  3. Martin-El

Martin-El Well-Known Member

All is forgiven if you scan a version and put it up on here :)

4. Firefox3D

Still printing, rear section has a few blips, but came out clean enough not to need to resin print it. Detail parts for the under engines will be.

IMG_20181104_014631.jpg

Will be buying this ABS in the future, one of the cheapest on Amazon, but prints really nice and not that it matters but a more vibrant blue.

Seven hours in to the main engine section print, 33 to go!

IMG_20181104_014631.jpg

5. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

Are you using .2 mm thickness or .1 mm?

TazMan2000

6. Firefox3D

Somewhere in between 0.16mm, with infill every 3 layers to speed up the printing. 0.16mm gives 4-5 layer resolution of the panel lines, 0.12mm looks fractionally better but takes a lot longer.
    BTW it's 0.04mm steps as that is the per step amount of the drive motor.

Pics of one roughly assembled, have 3 sets of these now, bar two parts and the wingtips which are undergoing a final redesign as I could see at large scale the top profile was off, had the high point of the curve too near the front leading edge.

IMG_20181106_162114.jpg

IMG_20181106_162219.jpg

IMG_20181106_162244.jpg

IMG_20181106_162352.jpg

Pic of the tailplanes, underbody wings and canards printing from last night, doing clean-up and post curing now.

IMG_20181109_193803.jpg

7. 32buds

32buds Well-Known Member

Holy Crap Batman. That is fantastic! I knew it was big, but didn't really consider the size until I saw the box-cutter in the top l/h corner of the second picture. That is seriously good! I've got an ear to ear grin,just looking at that!

Firefox3D likes this.
  8. Mig31Enthusiast

Mig31Enthusiast New Member

I've got the grin too but my head is about to explode with all of this visual awesomeness!

Firefox3D likes this.
  9. Firefox3D

Quick test assembly, tailplanes need fit adjustment, you can just make out the inset body line marking showing it sitting a bit high. Exhaust came out beautifully, literally perfect, inner part glitched as the lower part is a wall within a wall, will split the middle part out as a separate piece.

IMG_20181112_180030.jpg

IMG_20181112_180124.jpg

IMG_20181112_180137.jpg

IMG_20181112_180235.jpg

IMG_20181112_180251.jpg

IMG_20181112_180614.jpg

Went to pick up some weld adhesive and took a daylight shot of my test paint from ages ago against the Valejjo colours, looked a bit different to me in the shop but photographically the prussian blue shades come quite close.

IMG_20181112_133305.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  10. Jamesfett

Jamesfett Active Member

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just amazing.

Incredible work.(y):cry:

Firefox3D likes this.
  11. 32buds

32buds Well-Known Member

Awesome! Lost for words here. That's just..... wow.

12. Mig31Enthusiast

More please! I'm checking every hour for updates lol Looks amazing and that color looks great. The detail is insane!

13. Firefox3D

Thanks, I don't have any choice over the colour, I bought the "economy" 2kg of resin which is only available in cream, yes it looks orange, but they insist it's cream...

Have printed another set of tailplanes and winglets, and as the detail should show up at 1/18th, I am super detailing the cockpit and ejector seat, still have to do the lower instruments and the central piece between Gant's legs.
    Firefox 1-18 cockpit.jpg
    Discovered something interesting, in a pic of the cockpit before filming the instrument on the right is different, guess is failed and they had to replace it, you can see it looks a bit bashed up and a there is a filled and painted over hole in the screenshot from the bluray.
    Firefox dash.jpg

rbeach84 likes this.
  14. Firefox3D

Not the greatest pics of the early A2-ish sized blueprint dated 3/11/81 for the full size mockup by Grant McCune, and a page from the storyboard. Will try again with my proper camera and update the post.
    IMG_20181114_133333.jpg IMG_20181114_133456.jpg IMG_20181114_133513.jpg IMG_20181114_133532.jpg IMG_20181114_133553.jpg IMG_20181114_133613.jpg IMG_20181114_133643.jpg IMG_20181114_141635.jpg

rbeach84 and NS4 like this.
  15. Mig31Enthusiast

I was referring to the Prussian blue. The tones pop in certain ways with lighting and looks like the "real" thing to me. I can't wait to see the cockpit.

16. Firefox3D

Sorry late over here and I forgot I had posted the colour pic at the end, plus the vivid orange blue contrast of the parts is kind of yuk, lol.

My test was a base of silver on the left half black on the right with a Peugeot Dolphin blue (code KDL) car paint then 1k lacquer, weird thing is in the pic the right half looks lighter because of the way the light is catching it. The sample swatches of the prussian blues did look more blue than in the pic, misting them over a base grey is probably the way to go, also taking into consideration the lacquer will darken the colour.

32buds likes this.
  17. Martin-El

Martin-El Well-Known Member

How about this for a revelation?
    You can just make out a white helmet in the cockpit so did they have one miniature and switch out the pilots?

Lawrence Frazee

18. Firefox3D

Nice to see a bit of the video Will shot, and also explains the green tint in some of the pics I have seen, was a reflection from the greenscreen.

Haven't checked but think I posted this a way back, there were two 63" miniatures, the one in the video had working landing gear and and the other missile bays.
    Both seem to have shades of grey pilots, might have been a compromise or from experience they knew it would film better.
    The way to tell them apart is the other one has little intake blips on the tailplanes and engine sides, you can see them in these pics.
    Poster new.jpg
    Firefox studio lighting.jpg

There is also a pitot type tube coming from the left wingtip spar that doesn't seem to be on the other one.

Firefox battle.jpg
    Blips on side of tailplane and open missile bay on the top Firefox which in this case is Voskov's, it does look like when they wanted a shot that included the underside they used this one, possibly because the gear doors didn't fit perfectly when closed. So the miniatures swap around in the battle sequence, very hard to tell which is which in most shots.

Did a test fit of the canards, they will be epoxied together end to end inside which is an easy way to ensure they are level.

IMG_20181117_140231.jpg
    IMG_20181117_140352.jpg

Needed to test my Form 1 after replacing the laser diode, again.... don't ask, connected an oscilloscope to what I thought was ground, oops no, very bright - magic smoke escapes, much swearing.

Anyway, so thought I would try the cockpit dash at 1/48th with part of the accurate detailing done, surprisingly with detail parts down to around 0.05mm it more or less worked.
    IMG_20181118_002133.jpg

Only 2cm across, the detail looks ok to the naked eye, but you really can't resolve the small buttons let alone paint them!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  19. Mig31Enthusiast

Wow that front looks amazing. This might be a dumb question but what will your approach be to the windows? Would you use a clear sheet of styrene or can you 3d print that too?

Firefox3D likes this.
  20. Firefox3D

Thanks, spent quite a lot of time on it to get an exact match, still looks odd at certain angles because of the facets.

Canopy glass will be 0.75mm acrylic sheet, that's what the recesses are for. Have done a test and super-glue type adhesive sticks the two together well.
    You can print clear, but it ends up sort of cloudy and brittle, plus you can't guarantee it won't yellow with sunlight exposure as the resins are UV reactive.

32buds likes this.
  21. rbeach84

rbeach84 Sr Member

Yes, um WOW!
    That 1/48 scale instrument panel is quite a tease...
    Something to chase, 3D modeling processes.
    Really glad you are sharing this journey.
    Kind regards, Robert

22. Firefox3D

Had a bit of an epiphany, realising printing the 1/48th kits doesn't really make sense, it takes so long and if you get a glitch it's going to be expensive and time consuming. So thinking about casting, and realised the way you mould large sculptures - a thin rubber mould skin then plaster with cloth over to hold the form. But instead of the plaster I can print an ABS custom outer mould in two halves so I only need 5mm or so of rubber and can cast the main body part in one with no seam lines to worry about.

Will still print some of the smaller parts that would be difficult to cast, and won't be using the black Photocentric resin as I found out it can react with acrylic paints, printed a dash at 1/48th in the Makerjuice SF which came out great, much sharper than when I tried before, I thought the resin didn't hold fine detail well, but it does. Also I think my new diode is better than the one I accidentally killed, so win-win.

rbeach84, SpaceMind and 32buds like this.
  23. Jamesfett

Jamesfett Active Member

Documentary of the model.

SpaceMind and Firefox3D like this.
  24. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

It sure looks black in that short documentary. Wouldn't having a model painted blue disappear in a blue screen process?

TazMan2000

25. Firefox3D

It's down to lighting, the test paint I have looks virtually black in lower light.

The reverse bluescreen process is described in the Cinefex article I posted a while back, link again here

Cinefex - Google Drive

Relevant part is page 53-55.

Realised reading it the text is exactly the same as the video.

rbeach84 and 32buds like this.
  26. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

Sorry, I was confused by appearance to authenticity since you are actually replicating the movie aircraft.

TazMan2000

27. takevin

takevin Sr Member

Looks awesome

28. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

Any updates?

TazMan2000

32buds likes this.
  29. Firefox3D

***Warning techy/nerdy stuff follows***

Sort of, I was getting disheartened by trying to print 1/48th parts on the Form 1 printer and the layer banding/shifting messing up the really fine detail. As I was going to bed a couple of weeks ago I had a brainwave on how to print better high detail parts. The Photocentric printer has a 2048 x 1536 9.7" screen with a 0.09mm pixel resolution. The flood of new printers on the market use the same Sharp 1440 x 2560 5.5" 0.043mm pixel screen.
    After hacking into the Photocentric printer, pretty easy as it runs on a Raspberry Pi and the I guessed the default password might be photocentric, bingo I was in.
    Cloned the boot SD card so if I screwed it up I could get it back. This turned out to be the biggest headache as I had to set up a linux virtual pc as all other software kept giving errors reading the the dual fat32 ext4 partitioned SD card. Needed a linux desktop to easily navigate the file structure anyway.
    Received the 5.5" screen and driver board a few days ago, then came the headache of getting it to run, luckily found a post on a forum with the config setting to get it running. Then had to work out which setup files for the software needed editing as the image was rotated 90 degrees and squished. Once I found where the software was running from it was just a case of changing the resolution and pixel size settings in two files.
    Made the mounting for the screen yesterday and ran a test print with estimated exposure times, which failed after the first few layers. Started another as I was going out today, got a bit further but still failed, darn.
    Just now did a search for 5.5" screens with daylight reacting resins and found someone running a diy SLA printer, and turns out the exposure time need to be significantly longer. So about the run the 1/48th high detail exhaust again overnight.
    It might all be for naught as I asked the UK reseller of the Anycubic Photon printers, which uses the same 5.5" high res screen if he would print the exhaust for me to see what it looked like, turns out not that much better than the standard Photocentric with half the resolution. I'm hoping the Photocentric can do better as the software runs anti-aliasing for the slice images which the Anycubic software doesn't.

Will post some pics tomorrow after hopefully a successful overnight print.

PS I have almost nearly finished printing all the parts for 3 x 1/18th models, but had a rush job to do before xmas.

32buds and TazMan2000 like this.
  30. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm just happy that you are pushing through.

TazMan2000

31. Firefox3D

First print was a bit underexposed, second one seems pretty darn close, bit tricky to measure as the difference between 33 secs exposure per layer and 37 secs was about 0.1mm!

IMG_20181222_181234.jpg IMG_20181222_181244.jpg
    Printed at 25um layers even under an eye glass I can't see the individual layers. I will probably cast these, but will need a superfine resin as the ends are about 0.4mm thick. Can anybody with experience with casting thin parts recommend a resin?

It was worth the effort as this is a print from the Anycubic Photon using the same hi-res screen, it is a bit overexposed, but I can also see the fact the image slices are not anti-aliased superimposed over the print, shows itself as a thick/thin stepping.
    IMG_20181222_010243.jpg

Just started a print of a 1/18th wing leading edge part to see how that comes out at 50um layers.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    rbeach84 likes this.
  32. Jamesfett

Jamesfett Active Member

I agree with your choice to go with the garble farg G404844889832 phot crop #*(R)IJOUNPUN:OW@:N!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's the clear choice.

Looks amazing

Firefox3D likes this.
  33. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Such a great looking bird. Keep it up, I love seeing updates on this project.

Firefox3D likes this.
  34. Firefox3D

I had increased the detail of the wing leading edges to match the half-tone pattern photo-etch used on the original model, so went from this:
    Leading edge detail 1-48.jpg

To this Leading edge detail.jpg

About 1400 0.25mm holes per section, and the result looks like this
    IMG_20181224_151640.jpg
    Printed it horizontally for speed which caused the bit of distortion around the supports, but the result looks like mesh which is cool!

Some other bits I forgot to post
    IMG_20181224_151315.jpg
    Gant at 1/18th on the Form 1 printer, will do this on the Photocentric printer, the layer shifting is pretty bad in places.

IMG_20181224_151138.jpg
    More exhausts in translucent red, this was a resin sample that came with the Photocentric printer, they don't make it now, shame looks nice, even though it's going to be painted.

rbeach84 and 32buds like this.
  35. 32buds

32buds Well-Known Member

Looking really, really good. Merry Christmas!

36. rbeach84

rbeach84 Sr Member

You should contact the fellows at Resin2Detail (http://resin2detail.com/). They use the process of printing their masters and then casting in resin. The main guy (his name eludes me at the moment), who I've met before is a nice guy, a model 'geek' and very passionate. His sets use a mid-grey resin that is of excellent quality. Can't hurt to ask! ;^)
    Cheers!