Firefly "Vera" Build - New Pics!

tmax

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys. So I'm a big fan of Firefly, Serenity and the guns they wield, especially Jayne's guns. Already made myself a Boo...

yviPxNr.jpg

But the real beauty is of course Vera! "This is my most favourite gun..."

eFV04E4.jpg

Looked at a few options over the past few years, but nothing came together. That was until I got chatting with @JOATRASH FX. He has built an incredible all-metal Vera...

S7oR7aP.jpg

EAmgWUR.jpg

IlGWdwe.jpg

Long story short, I picked up one of his 3D printed kits that I will fit to my spare Denix AK47 receiver, left over from my Elysium build. The kit is awesome of course (all his kits are), although somewhat daunting - so many parts! Which is probably why it's sat in a box for the last year or so.

qkLm2ez.jpg

Enough procrastinating! Time to get to it...

9VZrmXH.jpg

Wish me luck! :lol

Last edited:
Re: Firefly "Vera" Build - WIP

Back in NZ a couple months ago I cut down the AK to make it easier to travel with. Canada is a royal pain when it comes to replica firearms and I didn't want to have this thing confiscated. So chopped as much as I could in the time I had.

8FjV4Rr.jpg

S4RYvY8.jpg

kJcCEn6.jpg

Although not 100% accurate, the Denix AK will make a solid base for this build. Plus the charge slide will still function which is cool. Unfortunately the trigger won't function and in fact has to be cut off altogether. Gotta do what you gotta do!

Looking forward to seeing how this comes out. Firefly was an awesome series.

Did they let you bring a replica into Canada just by removing the trigger? Navigating Canadian gun laws can be a real pain. It's easier to go out and buy a 30-06 in a 12 gauge than it is to buy prop replica gun.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Looking forward to seeing how this comes out. Firefly was an awesome series.

Did they let you bring a replica into Canada just by removing the trigger? Navigating Canadian gun laws can be a real pain. It's easier to go out and buy a 30-06 in a 12 gauge than it is to buy prop replica gun.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yeah, I actually saw Serenity first, which I loved. I had only heard about a show called Firefly but didn't know what it was. When I discovered it was a full tv series with the same actors, etc, I figured it was worth checking out, but it surely wouldn't be as good as the movie. I borrowed the series off a friend and watched it... man was I wrong! What an awesome show! The banter between the crew is fantastic. Such likeable characters and so well written. So now I own the series on blue-ray of course and am a big fan. Ironically this kit came from @JOATRASH FX and I just read on his build page that has a similar story in discovering Firefly.

Reg Canada customs, I've heard how bad they can be. And yes, it's easier to own real guns then replicas in Canada! Sheer madness. Lol. I got the receiver in as you see it in the pics, still with the trigger attached. I didn't have time to remove it before we left NZ. It made it through, but customs on both ends opened up the tote and pulled everything out just to inspect it. Along with my Weta Manmelter space gun. Which is an obvious threat! :lol

And we're into it!

The kit comes with an inner silencer which the outer muzzle brake slides over.

Vx1AopD.jpg

c4Ew8Vg.jpg

gmZ67SI.jpg

On the original Vera, the outer muzzle brake was pinned to the silencer, so I'll pin and glue them.

4CUDW4z.jpg

Y2CodGW.jpg

The kit comes with peg holes for added strength.

EJKb5IA.jpg

It also has a working hinge for the barrel, so technically you could fold the barrel back on itself as it did in Showtime. But as Vera in Firefly with all the extra scopes, it renders the hinge pointless. So it will be more decoration than functional.

Op843Ts.jpg

Next to my workbench I had one piece of pipe kicking around. Just so happens to be the exact size needed for the forward barrel! Destiny?? I think so! :lol

YMUM133.jpg

Z5W0iGK.jpg

Ma4XiHl.jpg

Glad I started with these pieces first as I feel like I've got half the gun done! Of course, this is so far from the truth it's not funny. But at least I might fool myself into some false confidence for a while.

Tjm17Hu.jpg

After a bunch of sanding we're ready for primer...

qhdEFqi.jpg

First coat down...

tjeGMyv.jpg

I'll move on to the stock next.

Last edited:

Front end coming together...

Ngj51wS.jpg

Onto the stock...

ird9utD.jpg

The ammo holder has 2 tracks that you glue on so the tail end of the rounds can slide in and be held in place...

2AekJb7.jpg

SNht0VY.jpg

The "but-plate" comes in 2 halves...

Fhmlx5k.jpg

NCBgzwW.jpg

Mock fitted the stock together before gluing the fins in place as the placement of the fins is crucial to it all fitting together properly...

vZGi6Wz.jpg

mT1bcdO.jpg

TTtM6iA.jpg

Fins glued...

mTdUUBI.jpg

So all the stock parts have been sanded ready for primer-fill paint tomorrow.

fark me ... once again tmax ...where do you find the time - looking awesome as usual !!!!

Ha ha, thanks mate!

I'm between film projects, so I'm pretty much a full-time prop maker at the moment. Living the dream! Plus @JOATRASH FX has been a HUGE help in answering my ongoing questions, even the dumb ones! If I had to wait a day or so for a response this would be a long, drawn-out build, but he's been an absolute legend in getting back to me super fast. Finally, I'm really keen to get this knocked out before the D9 SMG kit shows up.

T.

Onto the mag...

ilOLNl8.jpg

u1eT0XR.jpg

T9maUWI.jpg

A little time saver here, these flat pieces have a textured side (meant to be the top side), and a dead smooth side (that was on the bed of the printer). By simply flipping these over and using them on opposite sides of the mag, it will save me having to sand smooth the top side.

nSE74WA.jpg

Parts prepped for first filler-primer coat

SKKSxti.jpg

t3xZmue.jpg

1XHLlap.jpg

JYaPaRR.jpg

i2EPnoj.jpg

Making good progress.

Onto the rear assembly.

As you'd expect from JOATRASH FX the kit is very clever. Is has parts, that when joined to the side panels, replicate the original machined parts...

0ZiWk26.jpg

sa3Y0fY.jpg

F8qioZu.jpg

QhaTw1r.jpg

Found another barrel ring, which goes in front of the larger ring.

fxZ9LJ3.jpg

Onto the mag-well...

zd2WL1i.jpg

NFOxgUC.jpg

yYws9dO.jpg

KF8WD0x.jpg

Scope mounts...

fzXVwRM.jpg

HLqu61X.jpg

Grip and trigger assembly...

vXfaBH1.jpg

hhlwnOo.jpg

Ed0IzoZ.jpg

Q9uxHfa.jpg

It seems this set up actually utilises the existing Denix trigger, which means both the slide and the trigger will move. Yus! I love moving parts! So running out of time to cut the trigger off back in NZ was a good thing. A very good thing! :lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow, very cool. and a beautiful kit! Can't wait to see it finished.

Ha ha you and me both!

Yeah it's a great kit and I'm loving working with it. When I bought it I was in two minds as JOATRASH FX has an awesome resin version of Vera coming out soon. But I'm so glad I went with the 3D kit. It means I get to assemble each part as if I was building a Vera from scratch. And I'm really getting to know Vera and how she was made. A week ago she was a mystery to me but now I feel like I know her well. Lol. Still learning of course and a massive thanks to JOATRASH FX not just for the awesome kit, but for all the info to go with.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back