Sterling SMG Display Weapon For E11 Build

DamnYankee123

Hi all, using the search function, I find a ton of postings about E11 builds using Sterling display guns as the base, but I haven't come across anything dealing with my issue, so am going to ask.

Very recently I was gifted a display Sterling from IMA-USA, a vendor that I know many here have ordered materials, parts, etc from over the years. My partner actually overheard me talking about a conversation I had with another RPF'er about purchasing one, and seeing my interest and unbeknownst to me, she went out and "Zezzle'd" one from IMA for me as a gift. Quite unexpected, and something I would never do for myself. I have had a parts kit for years, but re-welding the parts into a non-functioning display gun is frankly beyond my skill level. So I was quite excited when she presented the box and told me what she had done.

The description on the IMA page says:

"Original Item: Very Few Available. Fantastic condition Sterling Mark 4 (L2A3) display guns. You don't see these often and if you do it has generally been adapted for use in a STAR WARS film. (The Horror!) This is the most exciting SMG of post WWII years, the British 9mm Sterling MkIV SMG!

These display guns are superbly built from all original post WWII parts then fitted with a solid steel totally non-operational non-firing BATF compliant display receiver, making it legal to own in the USA. All have markings mostly visible on the magazine well:

[STERLING]
SMG
9M/M MK 4 (L2A3)
No ******

These are each painted with a very nice crinkle black paint, to approximate the powder coating many received while in service. Occasionally the paint makes the magazine well markings a bit hard to read close to the receiver tube.

Each has a fully operational folding stock and moveable trigger, which still has a functional selector switch. All come complete with a curved Sterling 9mm Magazine (where permitted). The magazine catch is fully functional, and the folding stock properly stows under the front of the gun.

This is our final "batch" of these guns for the foreseeable future, and they will not last long!"

Final batch? Wow, now I'm really glad she did this for me.

So the issue... I open the box and check it out. Wow, amazing! I'm marveling at the weight of the actual gun, working the trigger, selector switch, and stock, and immediately notice that it is a re-welded kit. For most here, I'm sure that is no surprise. Never having seen one of these IRL, I assumed that display guns were built from complete examples. I honestly had no idea, but just hadn't realized that these are made from parts kits like the one I have, and not found in some magical stockpile in a bunker in England. Looking at the description on their website, I see clearly in the description that they are built from parts. Ok expectations appropriately reset...

Well, actually it says "SUPURBLY" built. Which takes me to the second issue: The re-weld isn't quite straight. In fact, when you deploy the folding stock, you can see that it wasn't aligned properly when it was re-welded, and kind of skews to one side, barely missing the grip. To the point that when you open it, the stock "bar" barely gets past the grip on one side, and won't lock on the end cap at all. I think I could probably bend one of the arms to make this align better, but since I am making an E11 and we all know these weren't actually stocks, but clearly served some other advance purpose (pulse beam energy rectifier, etc, etc), the stock won't be unfolded anyway. Nevertheless, when something like this costs +$1k, you kind of want it to be as close to perfect as possible. OK, not perfect, but I tell myself still very doable. So at this point, I am still thinking workable. But then I notice that the receiver has a bit of a droop to it. From the muzzle to about the mag well it's straight, but just at the end of the mag well, it starts to slope down a tiny bit. Not a ton, but maybe 3/16 of an inch by the time you get to the end cap. I just don't think it was clamped up completely straight when they welded it. Unfortunately this is also where the heavy steel plug is welded into the receiver to make it legal, so trying to bend it straight is really not an option. So a good bit less than perfect, and those with an eye would clearly notice the alignment problem. Arrggh.

Long story short, traded a couple of emails with IMA. Granted, I came on a little strong at first, because I was frustrated, having someone spend that kind of money on me, and not get a "Fantastic condition Sterling Mark 4". Nothing unprofessional mind you. Their response was to ask for pics, which I sent, and then a curt, "send it back on your dime, and we will credit you and give you $50 for another purchase." I asked if this was a representative example, but I think they took it wrong, replying with an even more curt, stop asking kid, your getting what your getting, kind of message.

I just want to know, is this the typical state of parts made display guns at this point? Should I be happy and not seeking perfection? I assume IMA is a stand up outfit. I've been getting their emails for quite sometime, and drooling over all the cool toys they sell. I dont have a real good feel for how typical this is for people seeking to make props from display guns, are there a lot of problems like this, or is this an anomaly? If IMA could confirm that this is not typical, I'd send it back and try again, but I dont think they are going to do that.

Open to any thoughts/ideas.

I'd send it back and put the money towards a better example from someplace else. (Wasn't a deactivated Sterling offered in the Junkyard recently?)

FWIW, whenever IMA offers a re-weld dummy Sterling, I can always notice defects from the listing pics. Not to mention, $1K gets close to owning a real, working Mk4.

Lastly, you could put the money towards welding lessons and learn how to do it yourself. Then you can make sure it's perfect.

You have two options really:

1. Keep it as is and consider it as battle damage, and see that most, if not all, Star Wars screen used props were wonky, warped, fragile and quite bad looking if looked upon closely

2. Send it back for refund and look for a better one. There are out there better options.

BTW you know that a couple pictures might have saved you from writing all this text ;)

If you have a Maker Space anywhere in your area with a hydraulic press (manual or automatic) you might be able to remove everything that will come off and bend it back straighter yourself, maybe add a little heat from a torch while straightening. You could also check around your area for a metal worker/welder and show it to them and ask how much they would charge to get it straight (possible small cuts, re-welding, filling and grinding, re-finishing). It sounds like the gun already cost a lot and it would stink to have to spend more money but if you're really happy with owning a real Sterling but unhappy with it being a little wonky maybe spending a little more money to get it perfect would be worth it?

All good suggestions. Thanks. The point about SWs props being wonky and warped is really resonating. Im going to think about that for a while longer before making a decision. Looking at various gun sites, I do see several kits that are far more weldable with more complete receivers than the one I have, for quite a bit less than what I paid for the display piece…hmm.

I have three of those from there a client bought and had sent. All were fairly ugly in places they re-welded them, but one was decent. They're also much heavier than a real sterling should be because of the solid steel insert in the receiver.

Aside from spending 4-5 times what you did on a properly clean re-weld, this is as good as it gets in the USA aside from the blaster factory aluminum replica unfortunately.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back