Firefly PAL 5 conversion

Kaylee

Back beofre these wonderful resin casts were being offered I spent weeks looking about for an original PAL. Needless to say, I came up short handed, so I decided to make a non-canon version from a PAL 5+ which is much more readily available.

The original is here:
stickers1.jpg

I scraped all the text off the back, removed the knob, the wire belt loop, ground off the speaker face, and sanded and filled and sanded and filled and sanded and filled more times that I'd care to count.

This is the result so far:

pal5_1.jpg

pal5_2.jpg

pal5_3.jpg

pal5_4.jpg

I have a set of FRS walkie-talkies on order, one of which is going in here. I also need to make a label for the back, add a belt clip, and generally clean it up.

But I have a couple questions..

1. Any suggestions on what to fill in the speaker area with? Some kind of microphone or speaker or filter or something?

2. Any ideas on how to get that clear plastic part covering the LED out without breaking it?

Thank you all.

Here's the image I'm going to use for the backplate -- I don't suppose y'all have any suggestions (or corrections to my Babelfish Chinese? :) )

backplate.gif

As usual, anyone who wants the file is welcome to it. :)

WOW. It looks great, and thanks for sharing. I don't think I've ever seen the back of the real prop, but if it didn't have that on it, it should have. :) You know, this show, and it's props, just may end up being a Rosetta stone, for non chiness speeking foks like myself. (Or I could just take a class. :lol )

Jason

Thank you.

I don't think the original had anything on the back, save perhaps whatever the original manufacturer might have left on there. I'm hoping I'll have some help with the Chinese soon -- I'm sure what's on there now is butchered to the point of high-larity, but I updated the graphic a touch. I hope the tech specs on the left aren't too out of line for something meant to talk to a relatively close spaceship and/or other crewmembers. Any HAM geeks care to correct me? :)

That should read:
Max range: 42 Km/LO-LOS
(ie, 42 Km ground-to-ground, Low Orbit-Line of Sight ground to ship)

Max Transmission Pwr: 14 Watts
(about three times what it looks like modern hand-held HAMs have)

Frequency Range: 132-2400 MHz (certainly not all-inclusive, but rather "a little here, a little there")

comlabel.gif

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back