Fine Molds Millenium Falcon Lighting Options?

DS Operative

Sr Member
I'm still researching techniques I will need to learn when I have the room to build my Falcon, so I'm not close to starting on mine yet. Before I start to build, I would like to ask about options for lighting, especially the cockpit.

I know very little about electronics, so would using one of the readily available kits like the one VoodooFX offers be a good bet or would you go with something different or do your own?

My interest lies in lighting the cockpit as accurately as possible, mandible "headlights", engine lights, gangway/ramp lights, and the underside walkway lighting.

I'd love to have a discussion about different options, techniques, and see how you have lit yours. Thanks!

Hi DS Operative, do you own a soldering iron - if not my best advice is to invest in one as the best connections are the soldered ones - unaffected by humidity, corrosion or rough movement (connectors loosen over time and wires film up). Soldered connections will give you peace of mind once you seal the model. You can practice on an old circuit board while you plan your Falcon lighting. A cheap 20-30 watt iron from Radio Shack and and even the cheapest multitester you can get is a good start.

I would also like to check out different lighting options. I was thinking of going with the voodoo kit Lost in Space_ Chariot Lighting Kit_Chariot Base Kit_Space Pod Lighting Kit_Seaviw lighting kit_model lighting_x-wing_x-wing lighting kit_Millennium Falcon Lighting Kit_NX-01 Lighting kit_Model Lighting_Jupiter 2 Fusion Core Lighting_ Enterprise Nace I did my own lighting and will continue with some models. I did the lighting in my y-wing but figured I would order the kit for the falcon.. Anyone who has used the voodoo kit it would be great to get some feedback I would also like to get some detail or see some more pics on the overall lighting and especially the cockpit. One question a little off the subject that everyone seems to complain about with the kit danikin is that the actual dish that came with the falcon on your model it looks ok to me.. So may people talk about changing it... Anyways I can wait to check back and so glad this thread was started as I was not sure but leaning towards the voodoo fx kit..

thanks,

Mike

I would also like to get some detail or see some more pics on the overall lighting and especially the cockpit. One question a little off the subject that everyone seems to complain about with the kit danikin is that the actual dish that came with the falcon on your model it looks ok to me.. So may people talk about changing it... Anyways I can wait to check back and so glad this thread was started as I was not sure but leaning towards the voodoo fx kit..

thanks,

Mike

It sounds like the starshipmodeler kit would be the I would go with, but that is just me. The dish was unaltered as well as the mandibles, it should be the same diameter as the cockpit tube if I'm not mistaken. The cockpit was just done with six LED's for the backlight and the Acreation PE set.
http://www.acreationmodels.com/decals.asp
Worth every penny!

I've just ordered this from the Starship Modeler store
Starship Modeler Store: Fast Tramp Freighter Lighting Kit
It seems to be expandable if I need to add some more to it. I can post back after a few days when I get it and have the chance to set it up

Hi Blake,

I'm new to this forum but have just purchased the FM 1/72 scale MF. Would you recommend the Fast Tramp Freighter Lighting Kit you previously bought?

Thanks! Brian.

Yes. It was easy to set up. The only drawback was it could have used 1 or 2 more LEDs for the engine to spread the light out a little more. The cards are expandable so it is possible to add them. I wound up cutting larger holes in the kits piece and placing the lights back a little further to spread out the glow some more.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back