Finding Deluxe Identity Discs in Stores?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Technologist, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Technologist

Technologist New Member

Okay, so I really, really want a Kevin Flynn Deluxe Identity Disc. I called a bunch of stores in the area, but all I found was a Sam Flynn Deluxe Identity Disc at a Toys R Us for $12. I'm surprised I even found that, but I'm hesitant to buy it because I'm worried I'll find a Kevin Flynn one as soon as I do. And I'm a broke college student, so I'm trying to spend as little as possible. Not really wanting to buy two discs.

So, tell me: do you all have any advice? How to scour the area effectively? What stores are more likely to carry the rare, out of production white disc I want?

Or should I just get the Sam Flynn disc? I mean, it's $8 cheaper than I could get it on Amazon... But then it bugs me that it glows blue instead of white...

2. Technologist

Technologist New Member

Alright, gonna bump this once since it was already on the second page by the time a mod gave it the okay... Fingers crossed.

3. modeljag

modeljag Active Member

If you are handy with electronics you could make it glow white. Other than what you've been doing my only other suggestion is to go on ebay, but if you don't want to spend an extra $12 I doubt you'd want to pay ebay prices.

4. Technologist

Technologist New Member

Well, the lights in all the discs are white. The problem is the plastic it shines through. On the Sam disc, it's blue, and on the Rinzler disc, it's orange. I'd have to be handy with modeling (or is it casting? I'm new here) to fix that. Or buy a mod kit, but those are--oh my God, at that point I might as well get an eBay Kevin disc.

5. Dave Porter

Dave Porter Sr Member

Hey, at least you found one.

Up here in the Great White North, we never got the Deluxe ones, and I am not paying the eBay/Amazon prices.

6. Auryn

Auryn Active Member

If I were you I would check out the local targets.
    I found a Sam deluxe disc on clearance at target 2 months ago for $4.
    If I had known how in demand they were I would have bought the whole lot and modded them.
    I went back 4 days later and they had gotten rid of the whole lot of clearance tron stuff- not sold it, just took it off the shelves- wonder where it went.

7. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I went and made my 'rounds' and checked the Walmarts, Toys R Us, Targets, and K-Marts here, and they've all gone the way of the Dodo. I'm surprised you found what you did in the wild as it is, but for me, I ended up having to get mine off of Amazon. At nearly double the price they originally went for.

Made me really wish I had picked up the Discs when they were available a year ago.

8. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

I think you should grab what you can now, and maybe get an upgrade kit from one of the board members later down the road to convert it to a white disc. As of right now (around here anyway) most of the stores put their TRON Legacy stuff on clearence months ago and are now sold out. Of all the local stores that sell toys, one (TRU) had one Sam deluxe disc.
    The Kevin discs were already short packed, if you wait any longer, you'll be out of luck except for Ebay or Amazon.

9. Technologist

Technologist New Member

Okay, yeah. I just called that Toys R Us again, and they said they have 11 of the deluxes in stock. I asked if they knew what kinds--if there were names or colors attached--and they said they didn't. If there's a Kevin disc there, I'm going to flip. If not, hey, this is still pretty good.

I'll go and check it all out tomorrow. Wish me luck! Haha.

10. Delmustator

Delmustator Sr Member

Second the comment on them pulling the disks from shelves. I was thinking that kids were knocking each other out with them or some chemical from manufacture is leeching out of them and they were recalled. Target is still selling Tron stuff but the disks are nowhere to be found.

11. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Sr Member

I have yet to see a kevin disk on a shelf. Only sam and rinzlers

12. whoami11

whoami11 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have several K Flynn discs. Was thinking of putting them up in the JY or ebay.

-Ryan

Nobby likes this.
  13. Dave Porter

Dave Porter Sr Member

I'd be interested in any deluxe disk - more Sam than Rizler, but beggars can't be choosers, right?

14. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Also, for you Premium members, several deluxe discs will be up in the PiF at one point or another... If you've never check it out, check it out!

15. Fluxcapacitor

Fluxcapacitor Well-Known Member

I got a bunch of the Sam Discs since at some point they would not be available in stores anymore.

16. Zymus

Zymus New Member

If you decide on making your own, one technique that I found worked decently was electrical tape along the "back" side of whatever clear plastic you decide to use as the light emitter.

Another thing you could do is cut small slits every 5-10mm into the clear plastic piece, to reduce the refraction of the light.

17. Jaedena

Jaedena Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I saw a couple discounted discs in TRU the other day. They were the black Sam Flynn versions. There's still hope, but they're getting rare.

18. Technologist

Technologist New Member

Back from Toys R Us. Unfortunately, all 11 discs they had were Sam Flynn discs, but I still picked one up. I mean, I'm totally going to be checking every store I can whenever I can, just in case (it's not like it's hard), because I still really want a Kevin Flynn one, but this is cool. So, oh well. Maybe I'll get lucky.

19. sycor

sycor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The funny thing is that I had like 3 of the Kevin discs and even offered them up for sale here at like a $4 price increase to payself back for time and gas in finding them, no one wanted them so I took all 3 of them back. This was a few months ago though. :lol

20. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

All my local stores have done away with all Tron toys. Clearanced out completely.

21. Technologist

Technologist New Member

*, man. Salt on the wound, huh? :confused

22. sycor

sycor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah sorry about that. If it makes you feel any better, I forgot to keep one for myself. D'OH!

23. highlander18

highlander18 New Member

I spent seven years with target most of that as a receiving clerk. When the item goes off clearance the item is salvaged and sent to goodwill.
    Chris

24. Technologist

Technologist New Member

Welp, there's one more store for me to check, just in case. Thanks for the info.

25. Amish Trooper

Amish Trooper Sr Member

I gave an unopened Rinzler and Kevin disc to a member here. Just felt good to do something nice.

TallDarkandDisfigured likes this.
  26. ep1972

ep1972 Member

I got my 2 Kevin Flynn's at Target the first week they were released, and never saw another on any shelves. Any discs here in Ohio are impossible to find now, so I say get what you can. I bought another Sam Flynn at TRU last week for 9.99 (which was the last one, and also on clearance). In total I bought 5 Sam Flynn's, two Rinzlers, and 2 Kevin Flynns (one sold to fellow member here.) If your serious about a Kevin Flynn your best bet is either a fellow member willing to sell one, or Ebay.

27. Technologist

Technologist New Member

Eh. I doubt anyone here would be willing to part with one for anything less than eBay prices, especially considering I'm new. And I can't really pay eBay prices. But I understand.

28. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes you did and it completed my collection. Thank you so much.
    Somehow, I have the feeling the favor will be re-paid...stay tooned :)

29. Amish Trooper

Amish Trooper Sr Member

This will probably sound wrong but buy before I was able to join and since I have been a member you have given me many laughs and smiles and I figured it was my turn to return the favor.

30. Dave Porter

Dave Porter Sr Member

Score!!

Thanks to advice from TallDarkandDisfigured, I checked out a local Winners.

They had 5 of the deluxe discs left, 3 Sams, 1 Rinzler and 1 Kevin Flynn.

They were marked down to $9.99 from $21.99 (CAN), so suffice to say, now they have 1 Sam Flynn left.

31. Dave Porter

Dave Porter Sr Member

And I found another Kevin Flynn at my other Winners.

There are a few discs left at each location.

Anyone after a Deluxe Sam or Rinzler?

32. Technologist

Technologist New Member

I guess if a Kevin is out of the question, a Rinzler would be nice, depending on how much you want for it. Of course, I'm pretty low priority because I'm new, so...

Ugh. Why don't I have any Canadian friends?

33. Dave Porter

Dave Porter Sr Member

Cost plus shipping works for me.

As long as I'm not out money, I'm good.

34. Technologist

Technologist New Member

Haha! That would be awesome, actually. I might actually be able to get a full set now. So happy. :lol

So, just send me a PM, or...? Again, new. Don't know how this works.

35. Dave Porter

Dave Porter Sr Member

36. Dave Porter

Dave Porter Sr Member

Found you a Rinzler - PM sent.

37. Technologist

Technologist New Member

Resorting to reaction pics to express my happiness:

[​IMG]

38. Randy of AFTimes

Randy of AFTimes Active Member

39. Technologist

Technologist New Member

Hey! Just posting here to say that Tempus did indeed get me that Rinzler disc. He showed me a picture of it before sending it out, and when it arrived, it was in good shape. I'm very pleased. Thanks, Tempus! Haha.

40. Bandit-Jedi

Bandit-Jedi Sr Member

Thanks for the link!

I went ahead and ordered a K. Flynn disc for when they get back in stock. I figure that I would spend more than that in fuel just driving around looking for one.
    Since the movie came out I have only seen a Kevin Disc once in a Target store...shoulda gotten then but didn't want to pay the $20 for it, ahha

41. Bandit-Jedi

Bandit-Jedi Sr Member

Just got my K. Flynn disc in. Came in quicker than I thought and in great condition.
    Glad I can mark it off my list now.

42. wraith74

wraith74 New Member

Entertainment Earth is where I got mine. Bought 6 Sam, 1 Rinzler, and 1 Kevin. Bought them when they were onsale right after Black Friday.

They still have them.

-Wraith74

43. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

The biglots chains have a bunch of legacy stuff so you might check there. All i saw were figures and vehicles cheap though.

44. AshmanE

AshmanE New Member

Just went through my local Toys-R-Us and they had about 12 of the Sam Flynn discs for $12.98 a pop... Picked up a couple of extras so that I can tear them apart and retrofit without worry. :cool

45. FSURobbie

FSURobbie Active Member

Trying to find these things now is hard. I'm feeling like a tool for not dropping a $20 when they first hit te shelves. Had a hard time justifying it to the wife. :(

46. Amish Trooper

Amish Trooper Sr Member

I live in a more rural area I will keep an eye out in the clearance idle..stuff doesn't seem to move fast here.

47. FSURobbie

FSURobbie Active Member

Thanks, I appreciate that. ;)

48. FSURobbie

FSURobbie Active Member

Sweet, I found a brand new Sam Identity Disc in a discount store this weekend, at a discounted price no less! It was the only one, can't believe I found it!

49. Fluxcapacitor

Fluxcapacitor Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of Sams. Got them a while back. Don't know what to do with them.

50. FSURobbie

FSURobbie Active Member

I have no doubt they would sell quickly if you put them up on the JY. :love