Finding Deluxe Identity Discs in Stores?

Technologist

Okay, so I really, really want a Kevin Flynn Deluxe Identity Disc. I called a bunch of stores in the area, but all I found was a Sam Flynn Deluxe Identity Disc at a Toys R Us for $12. I'm surprised I even found that, but I'm hesitant to buy it because I'm worried I'll find a Kevin Flynn one as soon as I do. And I'm a broke college student, so I'm trying to spend as little as possible. Not really wanting to buy two discs.

So, tell me: do you all have any advice? How to scour the area effectively? What stores are more likely to carry the rare, out of production white disc I want?

Or should I just get the Sam Flynn disc? I mean, it's $8 cheaper than I could get it on Amazon... But then it bugs me that it glows blue instead of white...

If you are handy with electronics you could make it glow white. Other than what you've been doing my only other suggestion is to go on ebay, but if you don't want to spend an extra $12 I doubt you'd want to pay ebay prices.

Well, the lights in all the discs are white. The problem is the plastic it shines through. On the Sam disc, it's blue, and on the Rinzler disc, it's orange. I'd have to be handy with modeling (or is it casting? I'm new here) to fix that. Or buy a mod kit, but those are--oh my God, at that point I might as well get an eBay Kevin disc.

Hey, at least you found one.

Up here in the Great White North, we never got the Deluxe ones, and I am not paying the eBay/Amazon prices.

If I were you I would check out the local targets.
I found a Sam deluxe disc on clearance at target 2 months ago for $4.
If I had known how in demand they were I would have bought the whole lot and modded them.
I went back 4 days later and they had gotten rid of the whole lot of clearance tron stuff- not sold it, just took it off the shelves- wonder where it went.

I went and made my 'rounds' and checked the Walmarts, Toys R Us, Targets, and K-Marts here, and they've all gone the way of the Dodo. I'm surprised you found what you did in the wild as it is, but for me, I ended up having to get mine off of Amazon. At nearly double the price they originally went for.

Made me really wish I had picked up the Discs when they were available a year ago.

I think you should grab what you can now, and maybe get an upgrade kit from one of the board members later down the road to convert it to a white disc. As of right now (around here anyway) most of the stores put their TRON Legacy stuff on clearence months ago and are now sold out. Of all the local stores that sell toys, one (TRU) had one Sam deluxe disc.
The Kevin discs were already short packed, if you wait any longer, you'll be out of luck except for Ebay or Amazon.

Okay, yeah. I just called that Toys R Us again, and they said they have 11 of the deluxes in stock. I asked if they knew what kinds--if there were names or colors attached--and they said they didn't. If there's a Kevin disc there, I'm going to flip. If not, hey, this is still pretty good.

I'll go and check it all out tomorrow. Wish me luck! Haha.

Second the comment on them pulling the disks from shelves. I was thinking that kids were knocking each other out with them or some chemical from manufacture is leeching out of them and they were recalled. Target is still selling Tron stuff but the disks are nowhere to be found.

Also, for you Premium members, several deluxe discs will be up in the PiF at one point or another... If you've never check it out, check it out!

If you decide on making your own, one technique that I found worked decently was electrical tape along the "back" side of whatever clear plastic you decide to use as the light emitter.

Another thing you could do is cut small slits every 5-10mm into the clear plastic piece, to reduce the refraction of the light.

I saw a couple discounted discs in TRU the other day. They were the black Sam Flynn versions. There's still hope, but they're getting rare.

Back from Toys R Us. Unfortunately, all 11 discs they had were Sam Flynn discs, but I still picked one up. I mean, I'm totally going to be checking every store I can whenever I can, just in case (it's not like it's hard), because I still really want a Kevin Flynn one, but this is cool. So, oh well. Maybe I'll get lucky.

The funny thing is that I had like 3 of the Kevin discs and even offered them up for sale here at like a $4 price increase to payself back for time and gas in finding them, no one wanted them so I took all 3 of them back. This was a few months ago though. :lol

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back