Fallout Vault-Tec Scientist Cosplay

zapwizard

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
43618163962_11f1f2b754_c.jpg

(Click for a larger image)

As part of my prop project, I am trying to put together a Vault-Tec Scientist cosplay, but I am having a heck of a time finding the right tweed pants.

The pants visible in the game look to be a modified herringbone tweed. But the exact color is hard to find. There are literally hundreds on eBay priced all over the place, but most are too dark of a brown. When I do find the right color, they end up being a tight smooth pattern instead of a large rough pattern.

walker-slater-francis-suit-tan-troutbone-tweed15.jpg

The closest I I have found is from a shop in the U.K. and they are quite expensive. I figured some folks on here might know some sources I can't find.

LA-3124.jpg

For the lab coat I am planning on this coat.

Last edited:
If you find the right material/fabric you could buy it, then have a seamstress make them. To insure the correct fit, provide pants that fit the way you want them so she seamstress can just disassemble them and use them as a pattern.
My seamstress is awesome at this :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StitchFett, I have thought about that. So far all the local tailors I contacted only are willing to do modifications, not rebuilds.

The shop in the UK has no actual information about the fit, just pictures. ~$135 is a bit much for something I can't return if they don't fit. I don't mind paying that much if they turn out to be pants I can wear for more than just coplay.

I also found Harry Suits today, they are still overseas, but they at least guarantee the fit, and take in more measurements. However, they have no images showing how large the actual tweed pattern is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had a running search on eBay, and nothing matching 100% in the past few months. Lots, and lots of Chinese versions with listing that show at least three different pants in the photos. So I am just not ordering any of those.

It is easy to find "Herringbone" or "Tweed" pants. But they end up as too dark a brown, or they don't have the correct larger pattern.

I haven't seen any on etsy that I would consider a perfect match. The few I find that are close have the same photos as the eBay listings, but at 2x the price.

Instead I am just hitting up goodwill and other used clothing stores around town as I pass them.

IMG_3772.jpg

After many years I am finally getting more of this costume together.

By far the hardest item to find was the lab coat. Not because lab coats are rare, but lab coats with two chest pockets just simply don't exist.

What does exist is white work-coats that have two pockets. This is a Universal Overalls Engineer Work Coat. It is from the 1960's according to the Etsy posting I found it at. It has nice brass colored buttons, four front pockets, and slots on the sides for accessing your pants pockets. It is a nice heavy weave too. It is in perfect shape, I almost don't want to distress it, but I think fallout costumes look best with some wear.

The hat and bag are just things I had around, I am still waiting on my tweed pants. The glasses are authentic 100 year old safety glasses.

The Pip-Boy is of course my very long term project and needs paint.
The Dosimeter is another project I need to finish.
The Stimpak is a project I will have done in the next week or so.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back