Fallout New Vegas: NCR Veteran Ranger Finished! pg 8

dunno about the shells i just had a few ammo belts laying around so i broke off a few links.
i just bent the links around bit and used abit of ingenuity, i'm sure you'll be able to figure something that works :)

toy gun? it's actually an airsoft revolver, and it's unmodified. it's also inaccurate, it should be a single action army cavalry "long barrel" design.
I got some real ammo shells 270 rifle round I am going to us. All right I got a metal toy gun that is what your talking about but it small it a cap gun. Its not even big enough to fit a 22 round it to it. Alot of cons do not allow you to have airsoft unless it is gutted. Next question, How did you hook up the like air tank on your back. You hook it to the jacket?

I got some real ammo shells 270 rifle round I am going to us. All right I got a metal toy gun that is what your talking about but it small it a cap gun. Its not even big enough to fit a 22 round it to it. Alot of cons do not allow you to have airsoft unless it is gutted. Next question, How did you hook up the like air tank on your back. You hook it to the jacket?

i explained how i do the airtank in this thread already.
the jacket has poppers attached to the back, so i just snap it on.

i explained how i do the airtank in this thread already.
the jacket has poppers attached to the back, so i just snap it on.
Alright, I can't remember all the stuff but Ill look for the section. Ok It looks like you used PBC piping with clamps I haven't read up on it that much. Im thinking of making some two holes in the coat and hook it to a harness and maybe using it to hold the batteries for the lights and fan in the helmet.

So do you think you could post a materiels list and where you used it. I'm making a set for an airsoft game, so how do you think i could improve the durability of it?

So do you think you could post a materiels list and where you used it. I'm making a set for an airsoft game, so how do you think i could improve the durability of it?

First question; to be honest? No, i'm sorry, i have the info contained in the first 7 or so pages of this thread, and while i love you guys are asking me questions and i can help you guys with your own builds, and i don't mind much answering a question if you have looked and can't find the answer.
i really don't want to write up a full list and map like that.
i hope you understand.

second: airsoft eh? i prepped mine for airsoft, i reinforced it with fiberglass :)
however the foam armor will get shot to hell if you take it onto an airsoft field, even at a distance the BBs have the ability to lodge themselves into your armor, so i would suggest that you don't bother with much detailing on your armor if you expect it to get shot up.

thanks gundytron i realized that myself and i thought i read the forum better but i didnt and just saw the post about that, so sorry in advance Komissar

Have only just seen this entire build but it's nothing short of phenomenal, excellent work. Seriously considering building one myself now

Have only just seen this entire build but it's nothing short of phenomenal, excellent work. Seriously considering building one myself now

careful with the gun props, i used to live in england, and they are getting more and more touchy by the day about that kind of stuff..
i was shocked to learn you needed a permit in some areas to own an airsoft rifle.

I'd say go for it! it was a really fun build for me, and i get a huge kick out of how many people are making NCR now.

careful with the gun props, i used to live in england, and they are getting more and more touchy by the day about that kind of stuff..
i was shocked to learn you needed a permit in some areas to own an airsoft rifle.

I'd say go for it! it was a really fun build for me, and i get a huge kick out of how many people are making NCR now.
And then you have Nevada and Arizona ;) Walk around with a loaded handgun and you're perfectly fine.

So this thread is making it's rounds on a few blogs, so i wanted to share a few direct links to pics for people to see, for those less inclined to click the gallery.

a58f517696b5bd751c037e07f9287dfc.jpg

b47edbac9f5624a5a0b942e13efa7b66.jpg

new_vegas_veteran_ranger_1_by_grimdarkkommissar-d36yw8j.jpg

Letal costume man, in fact i think im gona start a new game right now,

Cheers for the heads up, though I know a few places that sell BB guns and pellet guns that look pretty realistic, even some newsagents sell them! Well I'm stunned by the quality of your build, I've been propping for a couple of years but mostly Ghostbusters stuff. Pepakura is something I've only just learnt about through here though I'm impressed with the results. Could you use stryrene sheets using the Pepakura measurements to effectively make models etc?

I hope this comes across as "OMG THAT's AMAZING and here's a tiny little thing I noticed to make it even more amazing" as it is a great build in many ways. The only things I noticed was the 'nose-snout' angle, yours seems to point down more than the original picture and a trick I learnt doing my Vader was to use shoulder padding to create more shoulders. Great work though.

Cheers for the heads up, though I know a few places that sell BB guns and pellet guns that look pretty realistic, even some newsagents sell them! Well I'm stunned by the quality of your build, I've been propping for a couple of years but mostly Ghostbusters stuff. Pepakura is something I've only just learnt about through here though I'm impressed with the results. Could you use stryrene sheets using the Pepakura measurements to effectively make models etc?

i've known stories of friends who had to very carefully calm down some police in england, after they saw one of his airsofts he was cleaning on his coffee table, when they came to his front door to ask about something that had happened to a neighbors place.
it was a very awkward moment where the police were scared of him trying to move to the gun, but also really wanting to believe him that it was "just a bb gun"

actually what you say about cut pieces of sheet styrene to make a pepakura from plastic instead of card, is exactly what i done for this mask, you just have to use one of those "instant set" sprays you can get for super glue, because otherwise it becomes very difficult.

I hope this comes across as "OMG THAT's AMAZING and here's a tiny little thing I noticed to make it even more amazing" as it is a great build in many ways. The only things I noticed was the 'nose-snout' angle, yours seems to point down more than the original picture and a trick I learnt doing my Vader was to use shoulder padding to create more shoulders. Great work though.

you really think so? i felt hugh's pep was pretty accurate, that and the picture in my first post of the NCR ranger has his chin looking upwards much more than i do in any of my poses.

if you have any info on shoulder padding, i'm all ears, because most of my attempts have been pretty poor.

I agree, the pep looks pretty close, looking around whilst that pic you had up looks definately like it's at a more 'nose-like' angle, this leads in another direction, much like the one you did.

Fallout-New-Vegas-2.jpg

All i did to carve out shoulder pads was to use some use some foam from cushions and using a new/sharp 'breakable' long blade, cut away until I formed the right shape. The sharper the better I've found. Think of pauldrons [shoulders] from a knights armour or a stormtrooper's shoulder armour. I'd show you a pic but it's at my mates house and my shoulders are embedded between two layers of lycra. As it's hidden under your duster, it wouldn't have to be perfect anyhow. You could even copy or use shoulder padding that you can get from sewing supply stores. I'd aim for close to an inch all round. It tends to add a lot to the frame, being more imposing and all. Since you're an absolute whiz in the foam you've used, why not extend the armour to the shoulders, you've got the skills bud.

Here's an approximation of the shape.
2549.1.jpg

Wondering if you used a ton of spray starch and ironed it, you could make the duster and the collar stiffer and more to shape. It's pretty close just looks like it flops a tiny bit. My girlfriends an absolute whiz with fabrics [has her own fashion label ha] so I can always ask her. She wants me to build this ;)

Again, these are minor things, I only ever notice myself because I had the two pics next to each other, it's an awesome build and inspirational, I think I'll be tackling it myself in a month or two after I get my current projects out of the way.

Last edited:
yeah, every time i wear the costume i starch the collar, heh..
thanks for your advice shiney,
can't do anything about the mask, but the shoulders i can change!

i am seriously considering chainging out my vest, since the gorget/chin guard gets in the way of the costume a little. and making a new one (i can't seem to bring myself to modifying the original) so i may even put it up for trade on junkyard.. i'm undecided on that however.

Art Andrews just contacted me telling me that the RPF facebook page is "featuring" me, i'm really really honored

Yah, well like I said, the picture above looks pretty much like yours so, I wouldn't do a thing with the mask.

Congrats, oh and I did see your gear on another site too in a photoshoot of sorts.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back