Fallout 76 Prop Pipboy

do you guys think it's worth building it? or would it be better to wait for some electronics, is anybody on the forum working on some for now?

Forgot to mention this. Be very careful with the armband retaining pieces. It is easy to break the pins when trying to attach them to the back plate. There are several two prong pins like for the main knob and those armband pieces that are meant to be assembled once. It can be disassembled easily enough for adding electronics, but if you are going to wait for other people's plans I guess you could hold off.

I need to get my video review and build edited. (I like recording video, I hate editing it)

SCCCP: I thought they were going to put a real latch you could tighten on this, but it simply doesn't work. I had to cut mine down to make it a bit smaller, but it doesn't work in the end. There is so much fluffy padding that it still falls off your arm. I also had to replace the snap-fit parts with self-tapping screws, as the snaps broke almost instantly, good thing those were the only snap fit parts. The rest can be taken apart and put together at least a few times before the threads will be too loose.

EmmaInCandyland: It is fun to build, it will take many hours, sort of like building a model car or plane. You don't get any spare parts, and some parts are very tiny, and very difficult to install.

Yeah I'm working with a friend on a modification plan. We're also looking to add full electronic functionality to it, so we should have some plans at some point. He's not interested in making kits but I might be if people are interested in one. Definitely want new buttons that light up and click. The snap dome they put in for what I guess is the power button is a joke, the rest just have springs. Also looking at getting an actual toggle switch; mine doesn't really work and I'd like all of the inputs to do something.

I'm looking at using a similar attachment scheme as the small cuff to replace the broken brackets. I am considering modifying the main cuff or making plans for a new one that actually functions like it is supposed to in the game. There's too much material to tighten or open the tape deck as is.

Yeah I'm working with a friend
oh hey that me.

I got ansty looking at my new pipboy today and decided to throw in some LEDs because its easy and feels like I accomplished something. I've been watching zap's build for years now and been wanting to modify my pipboy 3000 mk IV for a while but never figured it out completely. I'm excited to actually figure this one out and do something with it!

IMG_2616.jpg

SCCCP, I will definitely be paying attention to what you post, as well as watching for others' mods out there in the wilds of the internet. I always like something as close to full functionality as possible. Not only have I been following (and trying to contribute to) zapwizard's 3000mkIV project, not only am I hoping people will come up with a good go-to list of parts, aftermarket upgrade pieces, and electronics suggestions or kits for this one, I'm also applying what I've learned so far to a build of a FO3/NV 3000. I love these things, and I like having wardrobe options. *heh*

If you think it'd be a better venue -- if more will be going on privately than what you post here -- I'd definitely like to be read into any conversations on this matter you'd be okay with including me in. :)

iklask already did, but who else took the tape deck apart? I am still trying to figure out the best way to reassemble it. One of the coolest things I want to add is a real mechanical calendar clock in that portion. Forgot to order calipers but that'll be something I look at first.

Inquisitor Peregrinus I think we'll share everything. I'll try to make a list of features we're considering and make it viewable and I guess take suggestions from there. I have a website I might post to and maybe link here, we'll see.

Huh. Very interesting!

I know many people would want a functioning pipboy you can have on your wrist, but its pretty tight on space inside (could probably fit a pi zero in the upper compartment with lots of modification). Worst case scenario would be to place main electronics inside this (modded Wand Company part or 3D printed). TBH my end goal was to use this like an alarm clock like shown in the 76 teaser, so a stand like this would work for me.

I just finished mine and am starting on the electronics. I'm having a hard time finding any operating system to run on the pi that resembles something even close to what's in 76. I would program it myself but all I know is C++ and Java (python would be ideal for this project). I'll keep following along to see what you guys use :)

Pretty sure all the "metal parts" are injection molded plastic into aluminium-powdered mold, or that they are just painted with aluminium dust-infused paint. They confused me for a moment too because they felt cold to the touch, but when I tried to buff the buckle to a shine the finish just peeled off and revealed bare plastic.

It's worth exactly as much as it costs, and none more. But for it's price, it's an excellent piece.

_A

I‘d be pretty content with just a video of the main screen with the vault boy walking, does anyone know how I could do that and what I’d need for it?

I finally finished editing my assembly video. Sorry it is just a fixed camera video, nothing special. I talk about the design and assembly of the parts as I go.

Atlas, Ya, I figured that out during assembly, as I had to scrape off the paint to make the hinge on those parts move smoothly.

@EmmaInCandyland, A serial TFT display can be driven by Arduino or Raspberry Pi. I have animated SWF files for all the perks if you need, I don't remember where I found them online.

I started doing test prints with a model I made when the first trailer came out, because I just can't wait for Christmas I need this pip-boy now! I scaled it to the fallout 4 pip boy edition so it should be fairly comparable to the model kit version. I'll post pics of it when I print the parts and all that good stuff.

I finally finished editing my assembly video. Sorry it is just a fixed camera video, nothing special. I talk about the design and assembly of the parts as I go.

Atlas, Ya, I figured that out during assembly, as I had to scrape off the paint to make the hinge on those parts move smoothly.

@EmmaInCandyland, A serial TFT display can be driven by Arduino or Raspberry Pi. I have animated SWF files for all the perks if you need, I don't remember where I found them online.

I think it is a bit loose because they probably think people would wear these with a costume, I have some thick leather arm guards for it, and I couldn't fit it with the deluxe edition, so maybe now it will fit this one haha

Concerning the electronics, now you assembled it, do you think there's a way to fit a rasperry pi in there? and create maybe a 'charging' plug , so we don't get to disassemble it if we install with a battery? I kinda suck at this, like I can solder and stuff, but figuring out how it works is not my forte xD

the swf files would be great if you still go these!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back