EVA foam textures

The Engy

At the moment I'm working on making a Mk VI Iron Man costume using EVA foam and Stealth's tutorials. However, the foam roll which I purchased has a corrugated pattern on the top. While I figured I would use the other side, the fact that it was in a roll means the corrugated pattern left an imprint on the back side as well.
6051889542_e039d5ac9b.jpg

Any ideas to how I could resolve this?

Oh that sucks, mine came in flat panels and they were stacked in a way so that would not happen.

Just a head's up, GraphicJordan and I (a now a few others) are all using foam (mostly 4mm stuff) from this retailer.... It's really, really easy stuff to work with.

GREAT PLACE TO BUY CLOSED CELL FOAM SHEETS:

Just a quick plug for Caroline's ebay store - Wandy Foam. I try to pass on info related to either products or services that have been helpful during my Ironman Build.

GraphicJordan pointed me to Wandy Foam, which sells a variety of EVA Closed-Cell foam via ebay. It was a GREAT referral, as Caroline has been wonderful to deal with!

I have tried some of the craft foam (3mm) that Hobby Lobby stocks, and I found their foam less flexible (and even a hair thinner) than Wandy Foam's 3mm product. It also didn't seem to cut as cleanly. I've now purchased foam from Wandy Foam twice and they have responded very quickly to all of my emails and are VERY fast shippers.

All the foam I've used for final pieces on Mikey's armor came from here, so I definitely recommend them. :thumbsup

Product links:

4mm Craft Foam (package of FIVE 12"x18" sheets) = $6.00 (5/19/11)

I would hit it with a heat gun to see what it does. Or scrap it and find a Harbor Freight.
Well I'll need to find a heat gun before I do that...
wierd you got a different type of foam then stealth did, i got the same and the back definitely has no texture

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more
I had seen that, and this is essentially the same stuff, but Craftsman brand instead of Best-Step. Also different packaging, which would explain the imprint.
Oh that sucks, mine came in flat panels and they were stacked in a way so that would not happen.
Yeah I might just buy some panels as well. Even if I can work with this, I'll need more foam; it's 2.5' by 5'
Just a head's up, GraphicJordan and I (a now a few others) are all using foam (mostly 4mm stuff) from this retailer.... It's really, really easy stuff to work with.
Hmm, I think I might try that stuff next time. This current project has a deadline (I know, I'm not supposed to set deadlines and such), so I don't want to order anything offline. However, I do plan on making another suit in the future; I will certainly use theirs next time!

Thank you for the replies!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back