EP VII Millennium Falcon

... But I don't believe that is actually 1:6th scale... if it were it would be 19 feet long and that don't look like 19 feet to me... looks more like maybe 9 or 10 feet maybe and that would put it closer to 1:12th scale.

According to several online sources the model is 18 feet long and 12 feet wide.

the thing that bugs me the most about that hot toys monstrosity is that the mandibles aren't toed-in, so in perspective they looks like they're gaping open foolishly.

Thanks for all these great screengrabs from the VFX reel guys!

Recently seen an interesting post on a Facebook group I frequent by a fella named Kris Taylor that was about the colors used on the TFA falcon...here is a copy of what he posted

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1208123032549080&set=gm.1687450511544705&type=3
"Hey guys, I pulled some images from the new VFX reel for TFA they go through the layers of the falcon and start off with the base color, I added some color pulls from the plate at the top and added some shots from the 32" miniature that are the most flat color balanced I have seen and seem to correspond with those reports of the original Floquil Paints ILM used ( cant remember them right now, Grime and something else mixed together) there is definatley a greenish cast more so than the tanish cast most of us are going with.
Really interesting thought I would share-
View attachment 580893"

...it got me to look at this more...here's some shots of what I captured from the VFX video's...I thought it was interesting how it shows the basic process of painting a practical model of the falcon, starting with a primer coat, then the basic base color (which definitely looks like Floquil Grime, the color made in the early 70's not the much whiter version made later), then a layer of colors for the different colored panels, and finally a series of weathering passes...great reference

...primer layer...
View attachment 580897

...base layer...
View attachment 580896

...color layer...
View attachment 580895

...weathering layer...
View attachment 580894

...animated...
View attachment 580898
i tell you why this has me interested , there is a slight green cast yet it looks correct, is it like realistic skin colour that needs a touch of green, I think I'll try this for my next falcon

Thanks for all these great screengrabs from the VFX reel guys!

Your're welcome!

Steve, it would be interesting to see if the launch bay falcons that are going to be springing up at Disney parks are indeed accurate 3D printed from the model used in the film.
Not sure if this physical falcon lines up closely in a photomatch -but here's the biggest image I can find of one. There are others form other angles online too.

wir-starwars2-121315.jpg

The nasty hole on the front starboard body seems new. Damage taken in TFA fights I assume.

It's going to be interesting to see if the old Falcon makes an appearance in Rogue One or the Han Solo film in 2018.
Hope they will give her 3 landing gear if she does make an appearance.
That would satisfy my OCD. :)

Last edited:
I haven't tried applying a photomatch, but I'm pretty sure it would line up with everything very nicely. There are so many details that I'm seeing on there that are so exactly accurate compared with the hi res images of the TFA cg asset. Wish they would just sell that thing as a kit, it's pretty big isn't it?

That big recessed blast hole in the front hull looks interesting. Surprised they didn't try to make it look like it was attempted to be repaired. Maybe in the next movie!

That big recessed blast hole in the front hull looks interesting. Surprised they didn't try to make it look like it was attempted to be repaired. Maybe in the next movie!

Perhaps that is the repair in progress, on the 5 footer it is not that damaged, so maybe it is where they have cut away some of the outer plating around the damage to get at the internal damage.

Perhaps that is the repair in progress, on the 5 footer it is not that damaged, so maybe it is where they have cut away some of the outer plating around the damage to get at the internal damage.
Too funny, Shane!

Reminds me, I need to get back to the MF decals project... sigh so much fun, so little time!

R/ Robert

Well if they tried cutting around it you'd think there would be more squared edges. You don't see a hole repair in sheetrock that is all jagged like that... it's usually just a square cut out larger then the damage. No... I think it was some kind of infection that has gone unchecked too long. Like a rusted panel and it's spread and ate away at the top layer are armor plating revealing the bottom layer below. Perhaps the previous damage has just grown because it either rusted away unchecked or some kind of organism that eats metal really slowly.

Too funny, Shane!

Reminds me, I need to get back to the MF decals project... sigh so much fun, so little time!

R/ Robert

Robert, Ya, I often find myself trying to make up excuses for inconsistances, lol...

Ditto for me, I also need to get back to finishing my studio decal set...just not sure what to do with them when complete??

It is such a shame that the days of physical models have passed. The CG models are great, however they do not fool the eyes, especially when motion blur is incorporated. Although the scenes were exciting, I found the falcon ( and the crashed star destroyer ) to be lacking in detail to the eyes/brain, which is seeing each frame in a different way to the physical model. This is probably also to do with the way real light falls on a physical model. To me the CGI did not look "right"

But I guess we will have to live with this. There will be no going back :cry

It is such a shame that the days of physical models have passed. The CG models are great, however they do not fool the eyes, especially when motion blur is incorporated. Although the scenes were exciting, I found the falcon ( and the crashed star destroyer ) to be lacking in detail to the eyes/brain, which is seeing each frame in a different way to the physical model. This is probably also to do with the way real light falls on a physical model. To me the CGI did not look "right"

But I guess we will have to live with this. There will be no going back :cry

Been saying it for years... but no one listens!

When tfa first came out I envisioned myself happily seeing it many times. However I've only seen it the one time. I too was struck by how unreal the ships looked. Also by the way they moved. The Falcon was moving much too smoothly.(I guess it's harder to move the model around on a gimbal lol) But it also adds to the realism of such a big non aerodynamic craft moving around.
I'm sure others have noticed it also. I'm really disappointed by the cgi in most scenes.

They really need to come up with a way to film a real model the same way they can do so in CGI. I mean if they set up some kind of gimble with a stationary model, and programmed in the computer in 3D all the camera movements then applied them to a real world camera and made it move around the model in real time, it would not only reduce the amount of time it takes to render every single frame, but would look so much more realistic! It wouldn't really matter how the model is mounted because then they could use post to edit out the mount in CG and still achieve the same effect!

If they can do it with an actor's face, they could do it with a model... heck, all they'd need is essentially a cardboard cutout with the correct reference points mapped and they'd have it.

R/ Robert

Your're welcome!

Steve, it would be interesting to see if the launch bay falcons that are going to be springing up at Disney parks are indeed accurate 3D printed from the model used in the film.
Not sure if this physical falcon lines up closely in a photomatch -but here's the biggest image I can find of one. There are others form other angles online too.

View attachment 586713

The nasty hole on the front starboard body seems new. Damage taken in TFA fights I assume.

It's going to be interesting to see if the old Falcon makes an appearance in Rogue One or the Han Solo film in 2018.
Hope they will give her 3 landing gear if she does make an appearance.
That would satisfy my OCD. :)

Everything matches up as far as I can see,...Its just those blast marks that look a bit toy-ish,....& the painting is a bit messy

I'd love to have a go

Comparison%203_zpsw81waij9.jpg

Comparison%202_zpszzcbu3h4.jpg

Comparison%201_zps1pa0cg9x.jpg

J

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back