EP VII Millennium Falcon

I noticed the new radar jerk downward when Rey hit the ground when she first took off! Excellent attention to detail. :)

Thats a really good observation. It shows that even with all the crew working on the film, people will always make mistakes. sometimes i think the flaws in a movie make the movie more organic. Like with all the older movies from the franchise would not be the same without the flaws.

Where do I get it?

Where do I get it????

12509698_10206689894860596_8764165914864124626_n.jpg

J

Recently seen an interesting post on a Facebook group I frequent by a fella named Kris Taylor that was about the colors used on the TFA falcon...here is a copy of what he posted

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1208123032549080&set=gm.1687450511544705&type=3
"Hey guys, I pulled some images from the new VFX reel for TFA they go through the layers of the falcon and start off with the base color, I added some color pulls from the plate at the top and added some shots from the 32" miniature that are the most flat color balanced I have seen and seem to correspond with those reports of the original Floquil Paints ILM used ( cant remember them right now, Grime and something else mixed together) there is definatley a greenish cast more so than the tanish cast most of us are going with.
Really interesting thought I would share-
12605303_1208123032549080_387174874826704331_o.jpg"

...it got me to look at this more...here's some shots of what I captured from the VFX video's...I thought it was interesting how it shows the basic process of painting a practical model of the falcon, starting with a primer coat, then the basic base color (which definitely looks like Floquil Grime, the color made in the early 70's not the much whiter version made later), then a layer of colors for the different colored panels, and finally a series of weathering passes...great reference

...primer layer...
falcon_primer.jpg

...base layer...
falcon_base.jpg

...color layer...
falcon_colors.jpg

...weathering layer...
falcon_weathering.jpg

...animated...
falcon_paint_process.gif

I'm sorry Imurme... that really doesn't do much for me at all seeing as that isn't a practical model at all. It's a CG model. And even thou they used synthetically the same process it really don't help much at all for me at least. I think someone on FB said it best when they decided to go all CG with the models. By doing so they severed the connection we as fans have by not being able to see the Falcon outside the movie... no physical model to view in a museum... no photos of it on display. It just makes it kinda disconnected to me. I think that was my main problem that I had such a hard time with. Now the only way we'll get any kind of reference would be from ultra high def screen caps from the movie. At least with a physical prop we could have taken photos of it ourselves to get those areas that we could never see in the movie. Of course all the areas that we want will be blurry due to the ship zooming by, so it kinda gives me the sad blues to think that they decided to do it this way. Know what I mean?

I'm sorry Imurme... that really doesn't do much for me at all seeing as that isn't a practical model at all. It's a CG model. And even thou they used synthetically the same process it really don't help much at all for me at least. I think someone on FB said it best when they decided to go all CG with the models. By doing so they severed the connection we as fans have by not being able to see the Falcon outside the movie... no physical model to view in a museum... no photos of it on display. It just makes it kinda disconnected to me. I think that was my main problem that I had such a hard time with. Now the only way we'll get any kind of reference would be from ultra high def screen caps from the movie. At least with a physical prop we could have taken photos of it ourselves to get those areas that we could never see in the movie. Of course all the areas that we want will be blurry due to the ship zooming by, so it kinda gives me the sad blues to think that they decided to do it this way. Know what I mean?

You can.....Isn't the 5 footer still on display?

& theres a huge 3d printed one at Disney Launch Bay,....& more when Launch Bay opens on other sites

J

Last edited:
I'm sorry Imurme... that really doesn't do much for me at all seeing as that isn't a practical model at all...

LrdSatyr, I hear ya, and I understand your feeling of disconnection, but I guess I see it more as what Jaitea alluded at, that the new falcon CGI model is a way to study the original 5 footer, as they where able to study and reference it so well that it is basicly a virtual model of the actual model...so much so that I feel we can gain even more insite into the original's construction and details...it does not replace the actual physical model (which will always be the main point of reference) but it gives us a new way to study that model.

LrdSatyr, I hear ya, and I understand your feeling of disconnection, but I guess I see it more as what Jaitea alluded at, that the new falcon CGI model is a way to study the original 5 footer, as they where able to study and reference it so well that it is basicly a virtual model of the actual model...so much so that I feel we can gain even more insite into the original's construction and details...it does not replace the actual physical model (which will always be the main point of reference) but it gives us a new way to study that model.

I can understand that... but it still feels so artificial to me. Ok... lemme put it this way. Let's say that one day a grip accidentally trips and his latte goes flying in the air, splashing the actual physical model. It would be changed forever... but they would attempt to fix it and try to "restore" it back to it's original look, but they would always miss something, and there would be a stain or something that would be noticable on this section or that area of the prop. It would never look the same again, but it would add to the story of the Falcon because we as fans would come up with a way to explain away the latte stain of death as some sort of chocolate laser weapon that was used by a bounty hunter from the planet Coco. You'd never have that kind of problem or happy accident with a CG model at all. If one of the CG artists makes a mistake, they can just press CRTL-Z and it's all better and no problem whatsoever. And I think that is basically what I believe that Hollywood has forgotten. Does that make any sense whatsoever?

I think Star Wars gave me OCD... do you think I have a good case if I sue Lucasfilm/Disney for my affliction? Maybe it could be a class action suit that we all can get in on! LOL

Didnt hot toys make a 1:6 scale falcon for display?

Seeing as hot toys is the high standard of details maybe you can look up their photos for help?

- - - Updated - - -

wait I think they made a ep 4 falcon nevermind

- - - Updated - - -

Hot-Toys-Millennium-Falcon-Full-Preview-2.jpg

That Hot Toys Falcon even thou it's BIG and I mean BIGGGGG... it's not all that accurate. Althought it looks cool as all getout, compare the sidewalls to any other Falcon you'll see what I mean... or look at the thickness of the radar and how terrible that gun turret looks... and why did they just paint black windows on it? REALLY??? I've seen a few pics of this on various other sites. They made a 1:6 scale completely ACCURATE cockpit and didn't put it on this?? This ship looks a little rushed in my opinion. But honestly, I'm sure if they spent some more time on it that would come out looking perfect to the movie... But I don't believe that is actually 1:6th scale... if it were it would be 19 feet long and that don't look like 19 feet to me... looks more like maybe 9 or 10 feet maybe and that would put it closer to 1:12th scale.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back