PhuketAussie

Hello everyone, I'm very excited to find this community of fans, and hope that I can share a long-term project I have in mind, and maybe hone it with some ideas that you might have. I currently have a large desk with a three-shelf hutch, built from rough recycled timers, and backed with rough corrugated steal. The idea was for it to remind me of the old shed on the farm years ago, and to be a retreat from a long day at work. Well, I now work at home, and the intent of the desk doesn't work so well with my online work (ESL teacher and other things)

So, I need a new desk, one that is totally suitable for my work, but I still want it to be as eccentric as my current desk. So I've bene browsing through photos and drawings of old Star Trek sets, and have been fiddling around with a design of my own, inspired by those old sets (but not a direct copy of any of them). My focus was on the Captain's Quarters, and on the big Viewscreen on the Bridge.

I plan on dumping my existing monitors and replacing them with a Smart TV, around 40", which could be framed to resemble the Viewscreen, while underneath there will be an inset shelf for the PC keyboard and mouse, etc, when not in use. Each half of the desk is inspired by the shape of the table in the Captain's Quarters, but doubled up, with the left wing under the office window. On the far left I'm considering a table-top monitor (sized to suit whatever LCD I choose to install), to display my daily schedule, and be a media player, and anything else I dream up for it. The legs underneath are also inspired by the previously mentioned table. In the corner a set of desk drawers, inspired by the wardrobe draws in the Captain's Quarters. The support for the large model of the Enterprise is shaped to match the left-side of the Star Trek badge. The Enterprise itself will be the CPU case (a little more attractive than your regular CPU don't you think!). The drawing is only representative, and not necessarily to scale, etc.

Any thoughts? Opinions? I plan to start construction in a couple of months, once some other things are out of the way.

Enterprise Desk #1.jpg
Enterprise Desk #2.jpg
Enterprise Desk #3.jpg
Enterprise Desk #4.jpg
Enterprise Desk #5.jpg

I like the approach of making a full-size desk out of the space-saving model in Kirk's quarters. Since you're putting an angle in it, my first thought is to make the arms the right length and the angle the right angle to make the desk echo the TOS era Starfleet emblem:

36704138273_ebd6dae6c6_b.jpg

latest?cb=20171206024913&path-prefix=en.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. :)

Thank you so much for your feedback. I do like your suggey to angel the desk to honour the shape of the old StarFleet logo. However, I'm designing this desk to fit into the corner of a small room. While the shape would look great, it would not be practical in the available space. However, I will think on some other way to incorporate the logo into the design. What do you think?

Do you maybe have wall space to do even a partial-scale recreation of the wall-mounted one seen in "Court Martial"? That's about the only other notion I have in that vein. Your ideas are pretty solid as-is. Apart from perhaps having the Enterprise suspended from the ceiling, or on a bottom stand, rather than cantilevered off the TV surround as shown. I'd have to see more of your planned support structure for that whole assembly.

I was hoping when I saw the title of your thread that this would be Captain Archer's desk. I think when I see "Enterprise" my mind goes straight to the titular TV series.

Your desk renders for the plans look great.
Post progress photos as you go and best of luck.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back