Electronic experts out there?

Im building an SMT 1/48 Y-wing. I bought the VoodooFX x-wing lighting kit. I'm running 1 LED from each engine and one into the neck for Fibre optics. My question is, would it be possible to put a jack, like a PS2 plug from a computer mouse into the bottom of the fuselage and then place an oppsote jack in the brass rod supporting it so the ship can be removed ? Another board I go to reccomended DIN jacks, so I ordered some. They are close to what I have planned, but they are a little big( I ordered 6 pin, 7 pin and 8 pin pairs).

I am not understanding what you are trying to do. I assume you are trying to run power from the base to the model and still make it removable, correct? How many wires are you running between the two. Theoretically you can do it as long as you have one pin per wire.

<div class='quotetop'>(WookieGunner @ Jun 2 2006, 09:57 AM) [snapback]1254852[/snapback]</div>
I am not understanding what you are trying to do. I assume you are trying to run power from the base to the model and still make it removable, correct? How many wires are you running between the two. Theoretically you can do it as long as you have one pin per wire.
[/b]

Yeah, I'm trying to make it so I can remove the ship when I want. But the plugs I got are about 3/4" in diameter. Wish I had an old mouse with adapter so I could cut them up for the plugs. PS2 plugs are about 1/2" in diameter.

In addition to finding a plug of sufficient size and number of prongs, you really need to watch out for the current capacity of the plug. I suggest wiring up your model and then inserting an ammeter in series with the power supply to determine exactly how much current the model draws with all electronics operating at full capacity. Then multiply this by at least 2 (if not 3) and make sure any plug you use has the current carrying capacity to handle the load.

Most devices like plugs and switches will be labeled with their maximum safe power or load rating. This may be specified in either amps for current or watts for power. For DC circuits, watts = amps * voltage.

Also, the stress of being mounted on the plug itself plus the stress of removing and installing the model from the mount will cause the plug to wear out. Pins may bend and possibly short out. You may be better off using a pipe stand or tube mount and let that take the strain of holding the model. Then have a separate plug that can fit up inside the tube or pipe receiving point inside the model so it has no physical strain placed on it.

HTH. :)

<div class='quotetop'>(Paul Heaberlin @ Jun 2 2006, 12:28 PM) [snapback]1255008[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(WookieGunner @ Jun 2 2006, 09:57 AM) [snapback]1254852[/snapback]
[/b]

Yeah, I'm trying to make it so I can remove the ship when I want. But the plugs I got are about 3/4" in diameter. Wish I had an old mouse with adapter so I could cut them up for the plugs. PS2 plugs are about 1/2" in diameter.
[/b][/quote]

Digikey has the connectors your talking about here is the link:

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T062/0284.pdf

They ship instock items over night usually too.

<div class='quotetop'>(Paul Heaberlin @ Jun 1 2006, 06:30 PM) [snapback]1254502[/snapback]</div>
Im building an SMT 1/48 Y-wing. I bought the VoodooFX x-wing lighting kit. I'm running 1 LED from each engine and one into the neck for Fibre optics. My question is, would it be possible to put a jack, like a PS2 plug from a computer mouse into the bottom of the fuselage and then place an oppsote jack in the brass rod supporting it so the ship can be removed ? Another board I go to reccomended DIN jacks, so I ordered some. They are close to what I have planned, but they are a little big( I ordered 6 pin, 7 pin and 8 pin pairs).
[/b]

You could try an RJ 11 or RJ 48 phone plug and jack. I like those for duty like this. There are also the small header strips and rows of pins. How many total connections do you need?

Bobby

Make sure any connector you decide to go with is both sturdy mechanically AND can handle the current. Use something with really small pins and light-guage wire, and you COULD get some real heat going on there.

18 guage wire should work just fine. DIN jacks will give you positive engagement and be pretty secure once connected. Size though, as you said, could be an issue.

Do you have a schematic of the Voodoo lighting kit, or a simple wiring diagram? That would tell me how many power wires we'd be dealing with and give a clue to how they would be routed.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back