There is no Star Wars, no Indiana Jones, no DC, no Marvel, no ST... What are you a fan of instead?

O'Bannon's passion to do a big budget scifi / horror with a rampant alien aboard ship predates Star Wars with his and Carpenter's Dark Star (1974) with its further development into the Alien screenplay partly inspired by the much earlier IT, The Terror From Beyond Space (1958). Star Wars helped the process along, showing that big budget scifi could be profitable.. but in an alternate timeline in those early years post 2001, Alien may well have still happened.
Not with Ridley Scott involved. He did it because of Star Wars.

Jurassic Park was originally intended to be written by Crichton much earlier, but delayed on the advice of his publisher. At the time, the Dinosaur Renaissance was still going strong, and Crichton was told that publishing it at the time he wanted to would mean it'd just be drowned out. Spielberg later got the rights after getting into a discussion with Crichton, who let slip that he was working on a new book with dinosaurs, and Spielberg was excited because he said he loved dinosaurs. Jurassic Park's success has very little to do with Star Wars. Maybe a little with Spielberg getting the rights, but that's very speculative. In fact, I would argue that it's the other way around. Jurassic Park laid rhe groundwork for all modern CGI. The prequels would not have been possible without Jurassic Park, and even the 1997 SE used redressed models from Jurassic Park.

In Terminator's case, Cameron claimed to have gotten the idea for it after seeing John Carpenter's Halloween (another favorite of mine) and having nightmares of an unstoppable robotic skeleton chasing a woman. With the added warning of nuclear proliferation, I could easily see Terminator having plenty of success without Star Wars.
You are missing the point.

Without Star Wars there would be no ILM. Who do you think did the computer effects in Jurassic Park?

James Cameron got into filmmaking because of Star Wars. Without Star Wars, he would have not gone into the movie business and we would have had NONE of his movies.

I was a big fan of both UFO and Space 1999 growing up, as well as "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" and "Fantastic Voyage"

20230514_171047.jpg 20220729_142830.jpg

oh yeah, and a nice little movie titled "Silent Running"

IMG_1431.jpg

Last edited:

Without Star Wars there would be no ILM. Who do you think did the computer effects in Jurassic Park?

James Cameron got into filmmaking because of Star Wars. Without Star Wars, he would have not gone into the movie business and we would have had NONE of his movies.
Yea! LoL. Jkjk

True but it was O'Bannon that introduced Ridley Scott to Giger's work so if Scott didn't do it and someone else did there'd still be Giger's asthetic all over an alternative version.. and Cobb's too, as he did Dark Star.

True but it was O'Bannon that introduced Ridley Scott to Giger's work so if Scott didn't do it and someone else did there'd still be Giger's asthetic all over an alternative version.. and Cobb's too, as he did Dark Star.
Maybe. But the only reason they went with the Giger design was because Ridley Scott fought for it. Another director may not have.

Though, I think I may have derailed the intent of the thread with my comments, so I'll let people have their fun. :p

Didn't know that about Cameron, but Jurassic Park was originally going to use Tippett go motion models for the full sized dinosaurs. Even without Star Wars, Tippett was talented and would have assuredly found a place in Hollywood. In fact, the ONLY reason that ILM got involved was because a small group of animators secretly put together a VFX test and presented it to Spielberg. Initially, Spielberg to ILM "no." This is basically what Jurassic Park would have been without ILM. Perhaps it wouldn't have been as successful, but it would have happened regardless. The book was a NY Times Bestseller, and had other directors lining up for a chance to direct.

The problem with stop motion is that it is stop motion. Go motion has some very real promise, but it is doubtful that anyone will pursue it now.

Didn't know that about Cameron, but Jurassic Park was originally going to use Tippett go motion models for the full sized dinosaurs. Even without Star Wars, Tippett was talented and would have assuredly found a place in Hollywood. In fact, the ONLY reason that ILM got involved was because a small group of animators secretly put together a VFX test and presented it to Spielberg. Initially, Spielberg to ILM "no." This is basically what Jurassic Park would have been without ILM. Perhaps it wouldn't have been as successful, but it would have happened regardless. The book was a NY Times Bestseller, and had other directors lining up for a chance to direct.

Sure. Tippet would probably have worked regardless, but I think his Star Wars credentials got him more noticed. However, another player, Stan Winston studios got big and bold because of James Cameron's movies. Without the Queen in Aliens they wouldn't have attempted a full size T-Rex.

It all hinges on Star Wars. Because, without Star Wars we wouldn't have had the special effects companies we know either.

Sorry... couldn't stay away. The discussion is too interesting.

To say that the VFX industry would not exist if Star Wars did not exist is wrong. There would still be a VFX industry, just not the one we have now. A perfect example is what Douglas Trumbull did for 2001, Silent Running, Close Encounters and Star Trek TMP...

Sure. Tippet would probably have worked regardless, but I think his Star Wars credentials got him more noticed. However, another player, Stan Winston studios got big and bold because of James Cameron's movies. Without the Queen in Aliens they wouldn't have attempted a full size T-Rex.

It all hinges on Star Wars. Because, without Star Wars we wouldn't have had the special effects companies we know either.

Sorry... couldn't stay away. The discussion is too interesting.
Spielberg was originally going to go with the company that did the effects in the Kongfrontation ride. They were actually the ones who suggested SWS.

Last edited:
Babylon 5 is my favourite Science Fiction experience.

I'd probably focus collect on the Buck Rogers Thunderfighter, which is my probably my favourite ship design.

2000AD is just bloody awesome.

Warhammer 40, 000.

I'd like to see Blakes 7 get more love.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back