There is no Star Wars, no Indiana Jones, no DC, no Marvel, no ST... What are you a fan of instead?

Is a direct result of Star Wars, so wouldn't have existed without it.

My Aunt Kathy, before her death, introduced me to two major franchises and a love of all things nerdy by the time I was 5. Those two franchises were Star Wars and Jurassic Park. Without SW, I'd still have Jurassic Park, which I can confidently say I'm a VERY big nerd of. Then there's Jaws and the Terminator movies, introduced to me by my father before I was even 10. When I was a kid, I got into LotR, and then the Alien movies when I was 13. Suffice to say I still have plenty to work with.
Jurassic Park and Terminator wouldn't have existed without Star Wars.

Basically, very few of the sci-fi movies we know post '77 would exist without Star Wars. Heck... even the Trek movies are a result of Star Wars. It's kinda insane to think about.

Last edited:
What would you be a fan of if these did not exist? What would you build?

Well, I suppose there is a dimension / multi-verse where this is the case.

I would say Battlestar Galactica, but without Star Wars, that would not have happened.

As a matter it fact, without the franchises that you mentioned, most modern sci fi would also not exist.

I guess I have no alternative to point to.

Basically, very few of the sci-fi movies we know post '77 would exist without Star Wars. Heck... even the Trek movies are a result of Star Wars. It's kinda insane to think about.
Jack Barth, the author of the story ‘Cover Version’ which was adapted into the film ‘Yesterday’ (story about a guy how accidentally moves into an alternate reality, where the Beatles or Coca Cola never existed) says that when he originally thought of the concept of the story, he thought what would the world be like if there was no Star Wars, & what wouldn’t exist

J

Imagine a world where the Internet didn't exist...

lionel hutz simpsons GIF

What would you be a fan of if these did not exist? What would you build?
Lexx, Lost in Space, Thunderbirds, Space 1999, Captain Scarlet (in fact, anything by Gerry and Sylvia Anderson), HG Wells, Buck Rogers, Metal Hurlant, 2001 a Space Odyssey, Logan's Run, Barbarella...the list within the category of other science fiction/fantasy is exhaustive!

Though getting your hands on reference material for project and buying stuff like electronic components would be a hell of a lot harder.
It was, however, a lot more fun digging through libraries, junk shops, and old bookstores for information - you could spend many wonderful hours doing that. I had reams of photocopied material, old magazines, and drawings that made up comprehensive reference files on each area of interest.

As for electronic components, you had to be a lot more resourceful - I used to pull apart old TVs and radios. If I needed new components, I would travel into the city and make a day of it. I would make my own circuits - a lot more satisfying than lashing together a few pre-built modules like I do today.

[Alien] Is a direct result of Star Wars, so wouldn't have existed without it.
O'Bannon's passion to do a big budget scifi / horror with a rampant alien aboard ship predates Star Wars with his and Carpenter's Dark Star (1974) with its further development into the Alien screenplay partly inspired by the much earlier IT, The Terror From Beyond Space (1958). Star Wars helped the process along, showing that big budget scifi could be profitable.. but in an alternate timeline in those early years post 2001, Alien may well have still happened.

Jurassic Park was originally intended to be written by Crichton much earlier, but delayed on the advice of his publisher. At the time, the Dinosaur Renaissance was still going strong, and Crichton was told that publishing it at the time he wanted to would mean it'd just be drowned out. Spielberg later got the rights after getting into a discussion with Crichton, who let slip that he was working on a new book with dinosaurs, and Spielberg was excited because he said he loved dinosaurs. Jurassic Park's success has very little to do with Star Wars. Maybe a little with Spielberg getting the rights, but that's very speculative. In fact, I would argue that it's the other way around. Jurassic Park laid rhe groundwork for all modern CGI. The prequels would not have been possible without Jurassic Park, and even the 1997 SE used redressed models from Jurassic Park.

In Terminator's case, Cameron claimed to have gotten the idea for it after seeing John Carpenter's Halloween (another favorite of mine) and having nightmares of an unstoppable robotic skeleton chasing a woman. With the added warning of nuclear proliferation, I could easily see Terminator having plenty of success without Star Wars.

Jurassic Park was originally intended to be written by Crichton much earlier, but delayed on the advice of his publisher. At the time, the Dinosaur Renaissance was still going strong, and Crichton was told that publishing it at the time he wanted to would mean it'd just be drowned out. Spielberg later got the rights after getting into a discussion with Crichton, who let slip that he was working on a new book with dinosaurs, and Spielberg was excited because he said he loved dinosaurs. Jurassic Park's success has very little to do with Star Wars. Maybe a little with Spielberg getting the rights, but that's very speculative. In fact, I would argue that it's the other way around. Jurassic Park laid rhe groundwork for all modern CGI. The prequels would not have been possible without Jurassic Park, and even the 1997 SE used redressed models from Jurassic Park.

In Terminator's case, Cameron claimed to have gotten the idea for it after seeing John Carpenter's Halloween (another favorite of mine) and having nightmares of an unstoppable robotic skeleton chasing a woman. With the added warning of nuclear proliferation, I could easily see Terminator having plenty of success without Star Wars.
So, you are saying the Prequels and Special Editions are all Michael Crichton's fault? ;)

We all know that it is a fact, that without George Lucas single-handedly creating every aspect of Star Wars, we would still be stuck in the 1970s!

Last edited:
LOTR, Pirates, Top Gun, and building models + dioramas of those, plus Blade Runner, Aliens, Jurassic Park and lastly anything WW2 related and military planes, ships etc

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back