eFX ANNOUNCES LEGEND DARTH MAUL HERO LIGHTSABER!! see post#53!!!

Re: eFX ANNOUNCES LEGEND DARTH MAUL HERO LIGHTSABER!!

There's always the option of removable/replaceable ends.

Thought about that but in the end this is the direction we decided to go.
I think it's interesting that in other previous versions of this saber, that the cut off threaded rod was perceived to be an emitter hole.

emittercomp.jpg

I remember some people here saying that wasn't real. That the emitter detail was done in post via CGI. :)

It would appear that's definitely NOT the case.

Wow. I thought that was the original prop in the first post.
So it's cast from the original and not cleaned up at all? Nice. :)

I think it's interesting that in other previous versions of this saber, that the cut off threaded rod was perceived to be an emitter hole.

Everyone knew that the hole was plugged with rod (it's been on Parts of Star Wars since 1999) it's just that most replicas were idealized with an emitter hole. Apparently, most people thought a lightsaber had to have a hole in the end. The same thing happened with all the TPM saber replicas.
Larbel used to offer both options with interchangeable emitter caps.

Technically both ends are screen accurate.

Darth Maul picture by Boba_Fett_fan - Photobucket

This is just me, but since TPM seems to favor hole-less emitters, I always considered the close up showing the hole to be a production brain-fart. I too favor interchangeable ends not only because some people may favor that, but I think it would be a strong signal to collectors that efx is really paying attention to the tiny details (We all here know you are but I am talking about the collectors who do not come to the RPF and do not have the insight).

With that being said, I totally respect the direction eFx went because sometimes you got to just make a choice and know that not everyone will be pleased.

I am not a fan of resin when metal is available but... when you have something like this that is done so well, I am seriously considering selling my MR and replacing it with this one.

I remember some people here saying that wasn't real. That the emitter detail was done in post via CGI. :)

It would appear that's definitely NOT the case.

There is no definite answer.
The first post used to say that detail is debatable. Looks like it was edited.
As Gino stated they didn't find any original props with emitter holes. Either there was a modified stunt that's now lost or the hole was added using CG.

So if there are no props with emitter holes... how deep will the emitter hole be on the EFX? and what's inside?

Wow. I thought that was the original prop in the first post.
So it's cast from the original and not cleaned up at all? Nice. :)

Awesome!! Thanks Chris!
I'll have to see if I can get permission to post a side by side of the prototype next to the original so you guys can see them together.

Everyone knew that the hole was plugged with rod (it's been on Parts of Star Wars since 1999) it's just that most replicas were idealized with an emitter hole.

Just for clarification, the ends aren't plugged with rod on the original. The rod runs the entire length of the saber and is cut off and sanded flush with the ends. Not sure if that was what you meant or not.

Apparently, most people thought a lightsaber had to have a hole in the end. The same thing happened with all the TPM saber replicas.

I can totally understand why they would think that.
Before I had high res photos of the hero saber, I used to think that the 'hole' was just a circle colored in with a magic marker to give the illusion of a hole. :confused

There is no definite answer.
The first post used to say that detail is debatable. Looks like it was edited.
As Gino stated they didn't find any original props with emitter holes. Either there was a modified stunt that's now lost or the hole was added using CG.

So if there are no props with emitter holes... how deep will the emitter hole be on the EFX? and what's inside?

On the hole portion, yeah. However, i recall it being said even the rim was fake as well which it clearly isn't.

The hole in the emitter will be just under appox. an inch deep.
Nothing inside the holes (certainly no crystals, not for a legend piece).

Just for clarification, the ends aren't plugged with rod on the original. The rod runs the entire length of the saber and is cut off and sanded flush with the ends. Not sure if that was what you meant or not.

Yep, that's what I meant.
There are several pics of untrimmed sabers and even video of a fresh saber out of the mold with the rod cast in. Fairly common knowledge since 1999.

The hole in the emitter will be just under appox. an inch deep.
Nothing inside the holes (certainly no crystals, not for a legend piece).

Black paint at the bottom? I'd think raw aluminum interior of the hole would look odd.
Personally, I'd prefer Hero style, but "as seen on screen" makes sense.

On the hole portion, yeah. However, i recall it being said even the rim was fake as well which it clearly isn't.

The rim was confirmed several years ago when one of the Hero dueling sabers was on display (one of the European exhibits IIRC).

Hi Gino,

Would eFx consider adding a threaded rod through the entire casted body to give it a more hefty weight?

-Chaim

Yep that's exactly how we plan to make them.
That's how the originals were made as well.

So . . . instead of a hole going an inch deep you could also cut the rod, which runs the entire length of the saber, off and sand it flush with the ends ... even with an added rim like the Hero dueling saber?

-Chaim

Another option would be to mold it around some round bar drilled in the ends so you could either screw in long threaded rods that stick out so you can screw in blades, thread in some short rods that sit flat for that look or even make one that sits lower in the hole with a magnet glued onto a thin sheet of metal that covers the end so there is no hole.

Figuring out a way to do it is not an issue, it's just that's multiple versions is not the direction we're taking.

So . . . instead of a hole going an inch deep you could also cut the rod, which runs the entire length of the saber, off and sand it flush with the ends ... even with an added rim like the Hero dueling saber?

-Chaim

THIS. When I think of Maul's emitter, I don't think of the close up at the laser door, I think of the clearly flat emitter we see as the Queen's ship escapes Tattooine and he lowers his saber. I think the cut off and flush sanded rod would be a second best option. A one inch emitter hole a distant third. When I think of the Legend line, I think "warts and all."

Awesome!! Thanks Chris!
I'll have to see if I can get permission to post a side by side of the prototype next to the original so you guys can see them together.

I have ALL of MRs close up Archive photos of the hero eFX molded for theirs, and I can say that they look IDENTICAL to the production photos you posted. All the boogers and bubbles are present. Only difference is that your colors are a hair more vibrant...but that's because your wasn't getting thrown around in Tunisia and Elstree studios.

I can guarantee without a shadow of a doubt that I'll be buying one of these when they're released! I'd be happy to scan and post a couple of the pics if you can't get permission Gino. Just let me know.

We did not mold the hero, we molded a hero dueling saber.
Thanks for the offer Tricloudwalker but we have those photos as well. :thumbsup
Ps colors are an exact match. ;)

Hey, this looks like another great piece, nice work! Hope to see it out soon

Not sure yet. Should be awhile though.
But lots of Legend items planned so start saving now! :thumbsup :cry :love

TPM releases and we get a LEGEND Maul...
AOTC released next year and maybe we get... LEGEND Obi-Wan AOTC :cool

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back