Edward Scissorhands study/WIP *28/5/13 UPDATE*

Got the 3d printed hand plates today and they came out great! Kind of makes me wish I had ordered the blades in the polished plastic instead of the regular as the surface finish is much smoother.

IMG_7446.JPG

Here's the test fit over the gloves with all the blades in place. The left hand fits perfectly while the right hand printed a bit too big so I currently have heavy duty rubber bands around it to squeeze it in so it'll fit tighter. I've already put a base coat over the left hand part and will be painting that up in the next few days while I let the right hand shape 'set' in compression. I also have the spring on the left hand and the right hand in place - both were found items that came attached to a dinner plate display frame and I stretched them out/cut them down to their intended lengths.

IMG_7443.JPG IMG_7444.JPG

I also need to cut the thumb of the glove on the right hand down so it fits further up.

Last edited:
Any chance you're planning on releasing the files from this? It looks amazing

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Once I've perfected all of the parts, I was thinking of doing a run of the blades and hand plates for which instead of providing the physical parts, would size them per person and upload them to order from Shapeways. That way it would take less time to receive them and remove delays that happen between ordering them and shipping them to me then sending them out.

Finished the paint job and weathering on the hand plates, just need to spray them with the varnish for protection and give them a light 'buffing' with the fine steel wool so they're not too shiny. Here are the hand plates on their own and again test fitted on each hand with the blades.

IMG_7452.JPG IMG_7454.JPG IMG_7456.JPG

As with the blades, I added some rust details but the metallic paint job was done with a sponge instead of brushed on solid. I'm just waiting on my girlfriend to sew together all the leather sections of the gauntlets as well as the three straps for the buckles on the neck piece then I just need to attach all of the bone hinges and misc hardware and I'll be done.

I'm also planning to add some rust weathering on the hardware once it's all in place so they don't contrast too much with new and antique-looking.

Leather portions are finished and all blades, bone hinges and misc hardware have been affixed - the gloves are done!

Here are some shots of the leather portions for each hand, as well as the finished neck piece. The second photo shows the new version under the old craft foam version.

IMG_7463.JPG IMG_7464.JPG
IMG_7470.JPG IMG_7476.JPG

And here are the finished gloves on their own and again as worn on each hand.

IMG_7479.JPG IMG_7480.JPG IMG_7481.JPG

IMG_7475.JPG IMG_7484.JPG

If I do offer a run of sorts, it will be for the raw 3d printed parts at different sizes. Way too much work to make more than one pair haha. Plus everything has to be modded to fit the hands right along the way so it's definitely a DIY job.

they look amazing mate
i'd definatly be interested in a kit as im in the middle of building a lifesize display as i'm just finishing a bust i sculpted of Edward and i have a deluxe costume tht i will adapt so just need the hands,
please lt me know if you can do a set for me,s ize really doesnt matter as it is a statue

they look amazing mate
i'd definatly be interested in a kit as im in the middle of building a lifesize display as i'm just finishing a bust i sculpted of Edward and i have a deluxe costume tht i will adapt so just need the hands,
please lt me know if you can do a set for me,s ize really doesnt matter as it is a statue

Count me in for a kit, too, if you go forward. Beautiful work!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to see some interest! I've moved discussion of my build over to a new thread since I felt bad about taking over this one. It's not a run or interest thread, but a build thread for my pair in which I'm waiting on a member to provide measurements for size L hands. Once I have them, I'll be making S, M, L, and XL variations of the blades and plates available on Shapeways. Feel free to chime in over there with comments about the build and the possibility of making these available to others!

Got the 3d printed hand plates today and they came out great! Kind of makes me wish I had ordered the blades in the polished plastic instead of the regular as the surface finish is much smoother.

View attachment 673940

Here's the test fit over the gloves with all the blades in place. The left hand fits perfectly while the right hand printed a bit too big so I currently have heavy duty rubber bands around it to squeeze it in so it'll fit tighter. I've already put a base coat over the left hand part and will be painting that up in the next few days while I let the right hand shape 'set' in compression. I also have the spring on the left hand and the right hand in place - both were found items that came attached to a dinner plate display frame and I stretched them out/cut them down to their intended lengths.

View attachment 673941 View attachment 673943

I also need to cut the thumb of the glove on the right hand down so it fits further up.
I was wondering if i could get/pay for the files
Reviving this thread for more insight into the costume as I'm redoing it. I 3d printed the blades a few years ago but a few parts didn't fit right and I couldn't afford to print them again. That was a hefty chunk of change...but during some reorganizing I stumbled upon them again and decided to finally do something with them. A bunch of my friends are doing a Stranger things group so if it doesn't work out then I still have a backup but I think I'm on track to finish them in time for Halloween since I have about the same amount of time I did when I built my first pair from wood and foam and already have the blades printed.

Here are the 3d printed blades:

View attachment 670115

I decided to model the handles directly into them since after looking at the way they fit into the blades on the prop, many of them were too uniform in their transition to pull off with found handles. I also modeled much of the hardware (bolts, screws, etc) directly into the blades since it didn't add anything to the cost and that would be one less thing to do later on.

Since I made the original blades, my modeling skills have gotten much better since it's my job now so I took a stab at the hand plates and think they came out great. I went with more two-dimensional forms since it would have cost too much to print the full thing - plus without time to test fit, I'd have to do multiple prints to get them just right and having a 'top-only' version is safer so there's more flexibility to work them into the rest of the gauntlets. As a result of this, the underside will basically be exposed showing the black gloves, but I'll use some leather material to fill that in and they'll rarely be seen anyway. This will also make it easier to build it so I can put them on and take them off on my own without assistance.

Here are the complete models of each hand with the blades and plates in place:

View attachment 670106 View attachment 670105

And a better look at the two hand plates:

View attachment 670107 View attachment 670108

Obviously, I used the reference images that Mike provided earlier in the thread - fantastic material! It provided me with almost exact profiles from all the angles I needed to build them as accurately as possible. I approximated the size using a scaled image of my own hand to ensure they would fit and all the fingers would be where they needed to be when worn. I also whipped up some simple versions of each to print and papercraft to ensure the fit.

As of now, I've started painting the blades and have ordered prints for the plates that should arrive in a few weeks. I've also started cutting out the pieces for the neck piece and gauntlets that my girlfriend is going to help me sew together.
I was wondering if i could get/pay for the hand plate files.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back