ecl's Kermit the Frog Puppet Replica (later builds, using my newest patterns)

Hey all, I'm sharing this link with Ecl's blessing, I ended up combing through this and the older Kermit thread to try and create a master google doc that collected all of Ecl's posts into one long document:

ECL's Kermit Build Bible (RPF Comment Compilation) V1 - Google Doc

Over the years Ecl has posted a lot of really good tips/photos/diagrams throughout both of his threads and I personally found it really helpful to have them categorized by subject matter ("Patterns", "Hands", "Legs", "Mouth Plate", etc.). I focused primarily on this thread as I figured it had the most up to date information/diagrams, but there are a few tidbits from the older thread that I thought were useful to include as well.

My hope is that this'll be a living document, so I'll do my best to keep an eye on both threads and if any new information comes up I'll be adding it to the Google Doc.

Enjoy!

Yes yes yes! I keep trying to find bits of info when I need it, but thank you for doing this!
Hey all, I'm sharing this link with Ecl's blessing, I ended up combing through this and the older Kermit thread to try and create a master google doc that collected all of Ecl's posts into one long document:

Over the years Ecl has posted a lot of really good tips/photos/diagrams throughout both of his threads and I personally found it really helpful to have them categorized by subject matter ("Patterns", "Hands", "Legs", "Mouth Plate", etc.). I focused primarily on this thread as I figured it had the most up to date information/diagrams, but there are a few tidbits from the older thread that I thought were useful to include as well.

My hope is that this'll be a living document, so I'll do my best to keep an eye on both threads and if any new information comes up I'll be adding it to the Google Doc.

Enjoy!

After starting the mock-ups back in March and then not touching this project for the majority of the year, I finally got off my butt to complete both Kermit and Robin!

sm_EDIT_IMG_9789.jpg

Big thanks to Ecl for all of his tips/tutorials, I’m not sure I ever would’ve attempted my own builds without them (And even if I had, I’m sure they wouldn’t have turned out as nice as they did).

Ecl mentioned quite a few times in this thread the importance of customizing Kermit to one's own hand, that really sunk in while I was working on my own. My Kermit ended up pretty custom to my own hand/arm size, and that wasn't even intentional, it's just what ended up feeling "right" when I was trying to gauge Kermit’s proportions against my own arm. And even with that in mind my hand doesn't fill in Kermit's head the way it should, probably due to a combination of Kermit being designed for Jim Henson's larger sized hands and me having tiny baby hands with stubby-as-heck fingers. I didn't want to size Kermit down and risk him being out of scale with the 35 mm eyes though, so I just kinda accepted that my hand won't quite fill his head out the way it should.

To share a few things that worked for me:
  • Keep in mind the density of the fleece when working out your pattern pieces. The fleece material is fairly thick, so I made my torso slightly smaller than what I wanted to compensate. I also found it helpful to use thin layers of quilt batting to pad out Kermit, which was easier than just relying on the foam to give him shape (And made it easier to control the level of pudge on Kermit). Plus the batting helped disguise the seams of the foam.
  • I made my Kermit's torso openings slightly smaller than I needed so I could then take an exacto knife and carve out space for my arm, while keeping Kermit’s shoulders slim and nicely rounded.
  • I ended up making Kermit’s lower mouth plate slightly shorter than the top one, I kinda felt like the slight overbite made for a more natural looking mouth.
  • I added a few strands of wire to Robin's hands so his fingers were poseable. This shape worked out really well because the outer curve gives a bit of shape to Robin's "palm".

sm_20211221_094712.jpg
Robin gave me a fair bit of trouble, I went through about 4 or 5 different patterns trying to decide on how big his body should be. Going back and referencing Ecl’s original build thread for him was super helpful, compared to that I was making Robin’s body way too small. I think I’d like to try and make a puppet version now that I’ve got a good base with the static one, I think I just need to extend the bottom out into a sleeve that can then be folded up inside the body (And then maybe stuffed a bit and sewn down to give Robin a little bit of body shape).

sm_EDIT_IMG_9779.jpg

Both my Robin and Kermit seem to have a bit of a skyward gaze, I ended up cheating on my Robin and using a few stitches to hold his head down a bit. I’m not sure if that’s maybe indicative that my mouth plates are slightly too big, maybe the fabric is too taut around the mouth? I also made a little loop of wire, basically a wire retainer, to slot into Kermit’s mouth from the inside to try and hold his mouth closed in a more natural looking position when he’s not being puppeteered. It’s not perfect, but it does reduce some of that “Silent scream” vibe he was giving me before.

I had picked up some of the Puppet Pelt’s “Lizard” Nylafleece months back, I think I’d like to make my next Kermit/Robin out of that fabric. It’s slightly yellower than the Frog Nylafleece and I think it adds a slightly more vintage vibe to them. Still I think the Frog Colour looks great, and I’m pretty dang pleased with how both of these guys came out. I may need to go back and try and adjust Kermit’s mouth though, of course it was only after taking a few pics that I realised I wasn’t super symmetrical with how I glued the fleece on.

Regardless, thank you a ton for all the info you’ve provided Ecl! I'm super happy to have checked these two off my project list. Now I'm trying to decide how I want to display them on my shelf, might be a good time of year to try and find a wooden log they can sit on.

Last edited:
Congrats and beautiful work KOMakesThings! Thanks to you as well for sharing your experience—this is the kind of thing that I like seeing. Improvising and making your own adjustments to the build is something that I always encourage people to do—as you’ve discovered, the patterns are not a one size fits all situation. You hit some really great points regarding the build process in your write up as well. The way you added the wiring in Robin’s hands is also very clever!

Congrats and beautiful work KOMakesThings! Thanks to you as well for sharing your experience—this is the kind of thing that I like seeing. Improvising and making your own adjustments to the build is something that I always encourage people to do—as you’ve discovered, the patterns are not a one size fits all situation. You hit some really great points regarding the build process in your write up as well. The way you added the wiring in Robin’s hands is also very clever!
Thank you! I was excited to show you what I was able to come up with, definitely room for improvement but I think it's a pretty solid first go!

Tweaking things to your own arm is super important, while I was figuring out the body I was starting to wonder if they would've had to make a new Kermit when Matt Vogel took over the role (That or maybe he already had similar enough measurements to Steve Whitmire that it wasn't as big of an issue?). I was thinking of making a Kermit for a friend as a surprise but now I think I'll need to get her measurements to make sure it'll fit right.

Last edited:
I see that I’m late into this great thread. I’ve been looking to your builds for quite long time and you are so great. I hope that some day I can build as awesome as you do. Greetings from Sweden

Enjoy!
If only you had done this a year ago! ...Or if I had thought of doing this a year ago! It would have made my build a lot easier. Either way thank you for putting this together

Hi there. Does anyone have the rough dimensions of the body pattern? I think the height was around 7.5" but curious about the width at the widest part, and width at the top and bottom of each piece? Thanks!

Hi there. Does anyone have the rough dimensions of the body pattern? I think the height was around 7.5" but curious about the width at the widest part, and width at the top and bottom of each piece? Thanks!
Update: I found the pattern. I am good!

hey there! i had a quick question. looking at the pic of your arm pattern, it says 9 inches. I drew the pattern like i saw it in the picture but 9 inches doesnt look long enough. maybe the piece is too thicc? doing alittle math, i came to the conclusion that it was 2 inches wide, but that looked too skinny so i did 2.5. now I dont know what im doing wrong. could you give me some tips/notes?
This would all depend on your body pattern and length. The 9” picture is simply to run the fleece down through the body and sewn at the base of the body. Which you would still need to cut out material for the outer parts of his body. I have also posted a pic of my outer pattern in one of the previous pages.

Last edited:
Dear all,

Greetings from Ireland.

I am on the hunt for a 1:1 Kermit puppet and after taking a chance on one or two on eBay, have been disappointed greatly.

I am in possession of an incredibly well-made Kermit, I believe by a French fabricator, that I purchased second hand. I also personally constructed a banjo based on some of the designs on here.

Are there any sellers around here looking to pass on a Kermit to a good home?

This might seem bold, but I also do an uncanny Jim Henson-style Kermit impression.
Im hesitant to post anything publicly, but I can provide videos in private chat.
If there was a builder who wanted to advertise their builds with a very good Kermit impersonator, maybe we could work out a deal? Again, don't take my word for it, I can supply proof of this impression.

Im looking to preserve my current Kermit as it was a gift to my fiancé, but I would like to have another Kermit to use to send friends and family messages and keep Jim's spirit alive and spread good wholesome muppet love.

Would love if you had any help on this. Thank you for reading.

*edit, I understand buying and selling is not allowed on general forums, but I was hoping to maybe engage with a fabricator here, or be pointed in the right direction.

Gx

Great build! Nylafleece has a great color. Nice collar too. The light hits it very nice. What material did you use for the collar?
Thanks :) I live in Sweden and here it's very difficult to find all the materials needed sadly, so the collar is made out of what here is called Hobby Felt, it's a little bit thicker felt and I hade the luck to find a great color that looks great with the Nyla that I bought from Puppet Pelts.

Thanks :) I live in Sweden and here it's very difficult to find all the materials needed sadly, so the collar is made out of what here is called Hobby Felt, it's a little bit thicker felt and I hade the luck to find a great color that looks great with the Nyla that I bought from Puppet Pelts.
i live in united states. felt here is a hit and miss. i have found a great collar felt color but its on the thinner side. would this supplier be able to send me a sample of this felt?

I figured I'd post a heads up to folks who have been thinking of making their own Kermit, but Puppet Pelts has announced that Cindy, one of the owners, is retiring and they are currently putting out feelers to sell the business. There's a bit more information on their website for the curious, but the gist is that their lease for the building is up in June and at this point in time it's not 100% sure what will happen to Puppet Pelts after that.

ECL has recommended the Frog Nylafleece/Frog Fuzzelle from Puppet Pelts in the past for Kermit builds, so now might be a good time to purchase some fleece to make sure you have supplies. For non Puppet Pelt options ECL's also recommended fleece from Weird Kid Store in Canada, but you need to provide them with a pantone colour which they will do their best to colour match custom dyed fleece for you.

Once we know what happens to Puppet Pelts I'll update the build guide accordingly. And of course, I have to say that despite the sad news congrats to Cindy for a well-earned retirement!

How did you glue the red ultra suede to the rubber gasket for the mouth plate? I read on one of your posts that you possibly used contact cement but the cement made the rubber curl up and deform… should I just use superglue instead?

How did you glue the red ultra suede to the rubber gasket for the mouth plates? I’m currently trying contact cement like it says on your materials image but it’s kind of making the rubber deform and curl up a bit… should I use superglue instead?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back