Dune (2021) Still Suit build

il_1140xn-1337511531_aj12-jpg.jpg

Good base for shoes.

Looking to start this build soon. Does anyone have thoughts or experience on using Neoprene foam instead of EVA foam?
Seems like it might be more durable than eva? but cheaper than the screen accurate stuff XavNZ92 found?
I am thinking about in 1/8 inch (3mm) then 1/16 for the edging trim/raised portions.

Thanks all

614kIor8FXL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Just a quick update, because I'm really on the final sprint for tomorrow.
Worked on the groin protection and wanted to share one idea on possible "found items":

View attachment 1494674
I guess what they might have used are industrial timing-belts:

View attachment 1494675
The toothing on mine is not a 100% match, but it's the closest I was able to find at the moment. There are actually several other parts of the Still Suit that might be based on different timing-belts, but maybe I'll post on that later.

As the belt is very rigid, I wasn't able to fold it over to fix the buckle, so I made a cutout:

View attachment 1494676

Used a piece of strap which I let through the opening and fastenend with rivets:

View attachment 1494681 View attachment 1494682

Interestingly this might be a technical explanation for the rivets we see on the screen-used costumes (though I got the feeling that they did something different there).
Maybe they made molds from timing-belts and cast them in a more flexible rubber-like material. (On some pictures you see the belts bulge and wobble quite a bit, which actual timing-belts usually won't do...)

And here are the belt pieces attached to the quickly improvised groin-plate (just some layers of foam covered with epoxy).

View attachment 1494684

Stay tuned! Will surely show pictures of the complete costume tomorrow!

(Though it wil surely not be "completed"...:lol:)
I also have the same issue when I got my timing belt, although the pattern looks great, but it’s too hard to bend.
6436A198-7F84-4190-934C-2D9AEF1BD7C6.jpeg403122E5-1832-4D7F-8BCF-364F98083E8B.jpeg

So I’ll suggest use nylon belt with ‘tank track’ patterns, which look more accurate to screen props. Usually they’re up to 38mm wide, should be ok for the cos. If you’re looking for wider one, just use regular nylon belt without tank track patterns.
01748E1D-626A-484C-800B-4C60B69DA54F.pngCCD9BCE1-8EC5-48E3-B53A-423B0B2CF474.png4FA88444-1F96-43E7-BB4C-96B4F9FB5728.png

Care to share the link to those please !
They are on Etsy. Seller is cooljapaneseshoes.

Fugu Ka-Ni cool japanese boots VEGAN black UNISEX. They are going for $109.​

They were on sale for $89. I got a pair 6 days after ordering. They are actually made quite well and are true to size. I have a lot of boot makers around me so i am going to take a couple pictures that are posted to see what they think. I believe they are a better start than regular workout shoes. In most of the pictures of the shoes you can make out a toe cap.

Last edited:
They are on Etsy. Seller is cooljapaneseshoes.

Fugu Ka-Ni cool japanese boots VEGAN black UNISEX. They are going for $109.​

They were on sale for $89. I got a pair 6 days after ordering. They are actually made quite well and are true to size. I have a lot of boot makers around me so i am going to take a couple pictures that are posted to see what they think. I believe they are a better start than regular workout shoes. In most of the pictures of the shoes you can make out a toe cap.
Happy to hear that because I just ordered some !

They seem to be a great base and these Japanese shoes tend to be comfy.

Honestly I'll see what I do about the shoes might use them as they are as shoes are usually the thing where I go with comfort over accuracy with because bad shoes can really ruin your day even if they are accurate.

Might make that heel part and Velcro it on if anything.

Those soles are a mystery as I got a police officer freind to run them on a police forensic database and the only partial result was some Reebok shoe but only very partial.

Happy to hear that because I just ordered some !

They seem to be a great base and these Japanese shoes tend to be comfy.

Honestly I'll see what I do about the shoes might use them as they are as shoes are usually the thing where I go with comfort over accuracy with because bad shoes can really ruin your day even if they are accurate.

Might make that heel part and Velcro it on if anything.

Those soles are a mystery as I got a police officer freind to run them on a police forensic database and the only partial result was some Reebok shoe but only very partial.
They are actually quite comfy, thought about picking up a second pair. Funny you mention the police officer. I was about to do that.

View attachment 1517830
blue arrows show edge of toe cap
Keep in mind that while there is value in looking at the design of the shoes, there is no evidence at all that any part of the upper (the non-sole part of the shoes) is based on an existing design. They've been completely covered in the same fabric as the whole still suit, and likely are an entirely custom shoe design, not matching wherever the soles came from.

Keep in mind that while there is value in looking at the design of the shoes, there is no evidence at all that any part of the upper (the non-sole part of the shoes) is based on an existing design. They've been completely covered in the same fabric as the whole still suit, and likely are an entirely custom shoe design, not matching wherever the soles came from.
Indeed one can buy rubber soles in bulk and building a canvas/fabric shoe around that is not very hard , that being said for cosplay purposes I always want to have comfortable footware over accurate footwear that will destroy my feet.

If I ever get more info about the shoes themselves and especially the soles getting a shoe repair shop to replace soles is fairly straight forward.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back