Dune (2021) Still Suit build

Muddler

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm trying to assemble a Fremen Still Suit for the upcoming Dune premiere. One part I just can't get a hold on are those strange buckles on the "groin-protection":

Dune- Still Stui Buckles.jpg

They do look somewhat familiar, but so far I haven't been able to find any good match.
I browsed through climbing- and diving-equipment, parachute-harnesses, police-protective-gear and what have you...

Anybody got an idea where these might come from? Any help would really be appreciated!

Last edited:
I was wondering if this is a type of "swivel" as opposed to a buckle? Please note how the "triangle" element is tilted with respect to the other parts and the webbing. This is even more noticeable on the female version.

I was wondering if this is a type of "swivel" as opposed to a buckle? Please note how the "triangle" element is tilted with respect to the other parts and the webbing. This is even more noticeable on the female version.
Yeah, definetely! I don't know if there's any special technical term for this type of belt-connector. I tried "triangular buckle" and "tiltable buckle" - I'll surely try out searching for "swivel". Thanks already for the hint!

Looks familiar to me as well. I think perhaps a military buckle or harness bit; not commercial diving or climbing.

How do modern surplus parachute harnesses look?

Reminds me of a motorsport 4 or 5 point harness as well.

‘Cobra buckle’ & ‘raptor buckle’. or perhaps not. close though…

Last edited:
Reminds me of a motorsport 4 or 5 point harness as well.

‘Cobra buckle’ & ‘raptor buckle’. or perhaps not. close though…
Yeah, those Cobra buckles look somewhat similiar on first glance (and they seem to be broadly used in many Sci-Fi franchises...). But they are fixed in position when closed. What's missing is the aspect of tiltability. I've really tried to think of applications where you might want a horizontal range of movement. Maybe some sort of heavy-weight carrying harness? (like for moving furniture) Or maybe nothing to be worn at all? Just some part of an equipment-strap or the like?

Okay, new idea:

81pA5Lb4ncL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Some sort of tactical holster??
The design on this one is completely off, of course. But there we have some rotatable buckles...

The Dune ones do somehow look like vintage items, though. (I don't know but for me they seem to scream "80s !"...)

With regard to the "swivel" or "tiltable" ability I have been searching options like seat belt anchors and hooks but so far I still have not found anything which matches the images available.

Looks familiar to me as well. I think perhaps a military buckle or harness bit; not commercial diving or climbing.

How do modern surplus parachute harnesses look?
Looked at vintage parachutes + buckles and accessories and nada!:( I looked at army, navy, air force...sometimes I wonder if it was transformed by the costume designer, i.e. : take one buckle from one source and combine it with a buckle from another source:unsure: Maybe vintage aircraft safety belts...either commercial or Air Forces
1629041340579.png

1629041431287.png

Last edited:
Whaaa! I guess I might have found them!!

0879_360x.jpg
242aff7f-dune-scaled.jpg.optimal (2).jpg

Seems like they are regular fashion belt buckles. A bit underwhelming...:p

But what bothers me even more is that the only shop I found is in Australia. And shipping to Europe is 55$! o_O

Well, never mind. Obsession is obsession...

Here's the link if anyone else is interested: #0879 Nickel Finish Triangular Buckle 50mm

Thanks a lot to you guys for your support and enthusiasm on this hunt!!

whew, I was starting to worry you’d not see it before you ordered some from Oz. The copper finish one looks ideal imo.

I hope you keep us updated with your progress.

I’ve been messing with a more basic idea, but without success much so far.

E6E69D63-2434-4091-ACA7-160F078803E3.jpeg

whew, I was starting to worry you’d not see it before you ordered some from Oz. The copper finish one looks ideal imo.

I hope you keep us updated with your progress.

I’ve been messing with a more basic idea, but without success much so far.
Actually I had already placed an order at that time.:p
But the shop was nice enough to accept a direct cancellation. So your info arrived at the perfect time!
Thanks again! :notworthy:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back