Dune (2021) Still Suit build

A good reference video HERE
3E9455BF-44A0-4F09-AE81-2E531AAB1438.jpeg

Has anybody had any lucky identifying this fabric?

Found some costume info:

How did the three worlds dictate the costumes?

Morgan: Caladan is this very rich, lush, wet place and the colors influenced the colors we used and the richness of the fabric we used. [On the desert planet Arrakis] it affects how you would dress much, like it affects how people dress in the Sahara or in Jordan; we’re in layers and wraps their heads to not only serve as a protection from the weather and from the heat, they’ll also a tool??. It keeps your head cool, but it’s also something you can take off, and it becomes a rope, a backpack, you know, it’s 25 yards of fabric. So that lent itself to form following function and, and we started that way.

West: As Frank Herbert described, the “stillsuit” was the color of the rocks. I had the head of locations bring me back rocks, different vials of sand of different colors [from] Jordan where we shot it. The rock was this incredible color, a very kind of dusty black charcoal with some brown in it.

I had done a gauze line years ago when I was a fashion designer for Barneys, and I remembered how you could still see people’s bodies and their shapes and their movement. And I thought, gauze shifts like sand does. And I had dyed it in all these desert sand colors. So that became the palette. And it’s just how the desert looks there. There’s all these colors, beautiful salmon color and a dark rust and kind of a pale gray-beige.

The color of Caladan was green, and I used the Romanovs as inspiration for their uniforms. The Harkonnens were Goths, they were very dark and evil. I used black leather for a lot for [them]. For the Bene Gesserits, I used black, very lush fabrics, beadings veils, lots of cut velvet and silks.

This build is just beautiful, wow! Do you mind sharing what you used under the shoulder straps with the foam to get the ridge effect? It looks to be used on the front abdomen middle section as well if I’m not mistaken?
Ribbed nitrile rubber floor matting !

No really that is what it is , most of the tubing is either insulation tubing or rubber channels used for car doors.

There's also a few neoprene bits and the rest is plain EVA

No really that is what it is , most of the tubing is either insulation tubing or rubber channels used for car doors.

And ……. It’s all freaking awesome!!

Where are you on the under suit ? Saw the movie the other night in imax and really considering this build with the files you posted(thanks again)

Ahh thank you so much for the help! Your posts have been really heaven sent on how to break this down, this build is going to be intense. I'm guessing you used the neoprene for the parts that will have more friction or need more stretch? I'm thinking I may use it for the neck area but not sure where else yet

I officially found exactly what was used for the "foam" parts of the stillsuits.

It is ribbed neoprene with the ribbing on the "inside" and the back on the outside (see HD picture of the original and pictures of the material I found)

Good news it's easy and safe to laser cut.
Bad news it's expensive AF compared to EVA.

Attachments

• received_638310830496040.jpeg
    received_638310830496040.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_20211112_163023.jpg
    IMG_20211112_163023.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 203
  • IMG_20211112_153824.jpg
    IMG_20211112_153824.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 209
I officially found exactly what was used for the "foam" parts of the stillsuits.

It is ribbed neoprene with the ribbing on the "inside" and the back on the outside (see HD picture of the original and pictures of the material I found)

I reckon most all things will be expensive compared to EVA haha. It’s the small details that will take it from cool to wow!

I reckon most all things will be expensive compared to EVA haha. It’s the small details that will take it from cool to wow!
Indeed it's all about those details at the end of the day.

At least its something that cuts fine on a CO2 laser and that is the good news !

Awesome!! How expensive we talking on the neoprene?
Does every piece need to be made of the neoprene?

Also cant wait to see updates on your build. I mean the foam looks freaking fantastic and the way it is designed it looks like elastic bands could be added on the "cummerbund" sides where it might need some give.

updates on the under suite or the shoulders and hip and other hard armor parts?

i have made a very very small start..... i found these in my airsoft bin.....
C58CBFF1-D1D5-4F31-8DBE-B875669C0D4D.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back