Doctor Who opinions

My 19 year old daughter who at 14 was a self proclaimed Whovian, with all kinds of swag, won’t even watch it anymore. She gave up in it while we had to endure the horrors of Clara. She didn’t even bother with Bill, and has no interest in watching the 13th Doctor. She hasn’t watched past series 8.

Is she smarter than I am? She gave up on a show that she lost interest in because it became a weak veneer of what it once was. I think I’m only hanging on because of my childhood memories of Tom Baker after school on PBS!

I keep waiting for it to be good again, but it keeps not!

Pretty much for me, good Doctor Who ended when Matt Smith left the TARDIS. The scripts were stupid, but Matt’s wonderful acting at least made it a polished turd!

Same here. My youngest daughter will watch classic Who no problem but she won't sit through any of the new stuff. She tried with a Christmas special once and gave up about half way through. She thinks everything new sucks. I can't say I disagree.

So are most of the episodes.

Do you like anything? Seriously, if you haven't watched all the new Who, you're just missing out, but go ahead and hate on everything. Doesn't mean you're right though. There have been some laughable and bad episodes (I'm looking at you "Love and Monsters") but most have been good, and some have been unbelievably amazing (I'm looking at you "Blink" and "Stolen Earht" & "Journey's End") so just keep hating, hope it keeps you warm at night.

Do you like anything? Seriously, if you haven't watched all the new Who, you're just missing out, but go ahead and hate on everything. Doesn't mean you're right though. There have been some laughable and bad episodes (I'm looking at you "Love and Monsters") but most have been good, and some have been unbelievably amazing (I'm looking at you "Blink" and "Stolen Earht" & "Journey's End") so just keep hating, hope it keeps you warm at night.

I have watched pretty much all of it since 2005, with the exception of the last Capaldi season, which I refused to bother with until Moffat was a thing of the past. I really wanted to see Doctor Who with decent effects, not all in a quarry with rubber monsters, but Russell T. Davies wanted the Doctor to get laid, repeatedly, which is idiotic because the Doctor isn't human and having Rose or whoever as a sex partner is like screwing a dog. Then Moffat became fanboy extreme and needed to go away too. Yes, there were decent episodes written by Moffat before he was in charge, but once he was, all of that went away. And now with Chibnall, although we haven't seen a lot yet and I still have an open mind, it looks like we're getting the politically correct Doctor, almost certainly pushed by the BBC, which is about as politically correct as you can get these days.

See, the problem with people like you is you assume that anyone who doesn't like it has no credible reason not to. That everyone is wrong who doesn't like what you like. That's not how this work. People have legitimate grievances that aren't based on "you hate everything" or something truly idiotic like that. You don't have to agree and frankly, I don't give a damn if you do. But to pretend that everyone who disagrees with you is somehow some hate-filled moron who doesn't know what we're talking about, that's absurd. But I guess absurd people post to RPF too, huh?

Speak for yourself !!!!

I YAM THE HATE FILLED MORON WHO DOESN"Y KNOW WHAT HEZ TALKING BOUT TAT YOU ADMIN WARNED YOUS BOUT !!?!!

AHA HA HA HA HA HAHAHAHA!!!!

boogie boogie boogie boogie boogie boo !

If I had been in charge of the series, it would have gone like this,

The 12th Doctor is in the TARDIS beginning to regenerate. We see the familiar orange glow begin the eruption from his hands. He looks at them solemnly and tilts his head back as the glow reaches his neck and crawls up his face. As he becomes engulfed in the orange glow, he closes his eyes and begins to concentrate. We cut to the 50th anniversary special where the 11th Doctor is speaking with the Curator.

Curator: “In the future, you will see yourself revisiting some old faces, or at least, your favorite ones.”

We pan back to the Doctor, a smile on his face as he concentrates and becomes fully engulfed in the regenerative process.

The glow dies and the new Doctor is revealed to be.......

Paul McGann. He finishes the regeneration and smiles. He looks into the monitor and sees his reflection. “I always felt that I was never quite finished with this one.” He says and begins a new adventure.

As much as that would have pleased a lot of people they just don't go backwards or revisit much of anything even though the show has a rich history of great characters. This has been true of all of the showrunners and not just something since 2005.

As much as I loved Tom Baker as the Doctor there were still a bunch of his episodes that make me cringe whenever I see them. I grew up on Tom Baker during the 1980's on PBS and he will always be my Doctor. That being said I recently binge watched all of Old Doctor Who and a lot of them were very hard to watch even if I had seen them before and liked them.

I liked last nights episode but then I also liked the last 3 Star Wars movies and hate STD with a passion.

While I like her take on the doctor, the writing, I'm not liking the Anti american crap "Only an idiot carries a knife" ******* really?!? the knife has been one of man's most ancient TOOLS. I'm sorry that the UK has gone overboard Nanny state on the subject but hey, your country, do as you will but you are pretty much the only one in the world doing this. Does that make Metalsmiths who make knives criminals then? Chris Noth's character was just overdone stupidity. I don't care how important some rich yank is, he's not getting into the UK with a gun, using it, and going scot free, UM Yaz you are a freaking Police officer, ever heard the words "You're under arrest? Hey I got a great Idea, let's alienate (that word being the height of irony here) HALF of our audience by taking chicken---- potshots at them, and assuming they are all morons.

It's getting a bit too PC now, I feel that I am being preached and lectured.

I don't mind a history lesson every now and then but sometimes I want to jump into the future and see a spaceships, aliens (not pregnant dudes), and new worlds.

I'm not writing the show off, it just needs to get back to its roots. Jodie also needs more time to fashion out her Doctor, she is just doing a Tenant impression at the moment.

Last edited:
Was it? It didn't feel preachy or lecture-y. The most lecture-y I felt it got were when the aliens explained their motivations, and usual Doctor-explains-things-for-the-rest-of-us bits.

Almost from day 1 Doctor Who has been PC but people didn't know what that meant back than and most people don't even know now. But I don't think the latest episode had anything to do with PC as much as it had to do with Yaz finding about her grandmother.

While I like her take on the doctor, the writing, I'm not liking the Anti american crap "Only an idiot carries a knife" ******* really?!? the knife has been one of man's most ancient TOOLS. I'm sorry that the UK has gone overboard Nanny state on the subject but hey, your country, do as you will but you are pretty much the only one in the world doing this. Does that make Metalsmiths who make knives criminals then? Chris Noth's character was just overdone stupidity. I don't care how important some rich yank is, he's not getting into the UK with a gun, using it, and going scot free, UM Yaz you are a freaking Police officer, ever heard the words "You're under arrest? Hey I got a great Idea, let's alienate (that word being the height of irony here) HALF of our audience by taking chicken---- potshots at them, and assuming they are all morons.

I know I've said it before, not sure if it was here, but Yaz just doesn't act like a police officer. Now granted, I have no idea what the current state of police officers is like in the UK, the last time I was there, they weren't like that, but today, they're going after people who make other people unhappy on social media, so I don't know what's gone horribly, horribly wrong in England of late. But Yaz, outside of not acting like a cop, even when she's wearing the uniform, she seems to have no sense of duty whatsoever. Hey, go running off with a madwoman in a police box, screw the job! Serve and protect? I think not! And even though she has the possibility of coming back right after she left and no one would be the wiser, she didn't always know that, yet she never said she had a job to do. She's at the beginning of her career, when she ought to be the most idealistic about the importance of her job, yet she doesn't seem to care. I could understand if Graham was the cop, but Yaz? Doesn't work at all.

If I was not reminded that Yaz was a cop I would never know it- it is true she does not seem to have much of a connection to it. The the rich guy's security thug pulled a gun on her the most immediate response should have been to identify herself as a law officer. She seems to be OK visiting home a lot but hasn't she been reported for deserting her post?- she is still an officer but just not showing up for work is serious.

The show runners stated they decided to have three companions so there was at least someone there that a viewer could identify with. I don't want to identify with anyone- I want to watch the Doctor on an adventure and the companion to help support him (and occasionally needing rescue). IMO the companion has two jobs- a person that the Doctor can explain what is going on to and provide an observation or insight which will help the Doctor see a solution or make the right choice. I think if an episode plays out in such a way that nothing would have changed if the companion was not there, then it failed. 'Turn Left' was the best example on how a simple presence of someone standing with him and saying the right thing changes everything.

I know I've said it before, not sure if it was here, but Yaz just doesn't act like a police officer. Now granted, I have no idea what the current state of police officers is like in the UK, the last time I was there, they weren't like that, but today, they're going after people who make other people unhappy on social media, so I don't know what's gone horribly, horribly wrong in England of late. But Yaz, outside of not acting like a cop, even when she's wearing the uniform, she seems to have no sense of duty whatsoever. Hey, go running off with a madwoman in a police box, screw the job! Serve and protect? I think not! And even though she has the possibility of coming back right after she left and no one would be the wiser, she didn't always know that, yet she never said she had a job to do. She's at the beginning of her career, when she ought to be the most idealistic about the importance of her job, yet she doesn't seem to care. I could understand if Graham was the cop, but Yaz? Doesn't work at all.

I don't think equating Dr. Who characterisations, against actual real life police officers, is an exercise that can be worth much.

That's all i can really say as to address your other points, would see me skirting close to a ban for political statements. The state of policing here in the UK is a lot more nuanced, and inter-twined with multiple factors, and can't be condensed into trivial matters that have been over represented in the media.

Anyway, back to the relevant topic. The show isn't reaching the heights of a good few years ago. Perhaps a break of a few years would help.

I don't think equating Dr. Who characterisations, against actual real life police officers, is an exercise that can be worth much.

That's all i can really say as to address your other points, would see me skirting close to a ban for political statements. The state of policing here in the UK is a lot more nuanced, and inter-twined with multiple factors, and can't be condensed into trivial matters that have been over represented in the media.

Anyway, back to the relevant topic. The show isn't reaching the heights of a good few years ago. Perhaps a break of a few years would help.

If it's part of the character and you never reference it, why bother? It's like having Bill be gay, but never be attracted to other women. What's the point of having her be ostensibly gay then? They specifically made Yaz a cop. If she's not going to act like a cop, if being a cop never impacts her character at all, then why make her a cop? It's just bad writing!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back