Doc Brown's 2015 Red Chinese Shirt

Slowly but steady, I've got little good news and little "bad" news:
Good news: I found a photo of the first seal that contains the four words, I was cutting the seal pic and gave it a blind shot to google image search and got a hit on a blog, unfortunately not as large as I wish, but I think sufficient enough for our purpose.
3164341688181839678.jpg

These words escapes me, since their are written in seals script:
glyph1.jpg

glyph2.jpg

I forgot what that word means, I learned it but forgot it simply:
glyph3.jpg

This seal has still be indentified thought I probably know two words, because of a museum catalog of an exhibition of national treasures of China I attended years ago, still flipping through:
seal0.jpg

I don't have a chinese seal book, which is a compiled pictoral list of seals, that'll be helpful… the original 89 shirt seal seems to look like the Ching Dynasty seal, it has certain characteristics, which makes them similar, but I still can't be sure of the low res.

Last edited:
Good work YenChih Lin:thumbsup I wish i had these vector symbols when i made my shirt. Would have been a lot easier than having to redraw all of them with photoshop like i did. :facepalm

I've started laying out the front of the shirt... slow work but coming along nicely. One character that is still missing (that can clearly be seen) is this one:

glyph2.jpg

Thanks!

Does anyone have a copy of (or link to) a HD version of the Nike Air Mag commercial? Now that we have the characters all recreated, it'll be relatively simple laying them out based on the scene when Doc runs into the shoe store. Unfortunately, the shot I have is quite a low resolution, so you can hardly tell one character from the next.

Thanks,
Magnoli

Almost done laying everything out (I even found where the collar fits into the pattern). I'm still missing two pieces of the puzzle:

unknown3_zps8dab3b6a.jpg

Maybe you can use vector graphic to draw it? It looks like 壺 so maybe you can get the seal character and modify it.

As for the black seal, I can only make out one character on the top left, should be 金.

As I said before, it's a pain in the ***** to skim through the seal database - I posted already a link. I wonder if you can take a look Kevin?

EDIT: Not 壺, checked it with the seal script font…

I know I'm showing up a little late to this party and you guys are already clearly on your way to reproducing the Nike version of Doc Brown's Chinese symbols shirt. A buddy of mine tipped me off to this thread, hoping that I would have some insight.

My team and I built the DeLorean Time Machine for the Nike commercial and we were there for the whole shoot. We also got to do a sweet photo shoot with Christopher Lloyd dressed as Doc in the car. I doubt there are any better HD photos of that shirt than the ones JD Raimer took at the Nike event in Hollywood, but we did take some shots of Christopher Lloyd wearing the Chinese symbol shirt - without the gold jacket, so that might be helpful to you guys.

Lastly, I don't want to derail your Nike version of the shirt project, so you'll have to tell me if you also want the BTTF behind the scenes photos from part I and II that we have from the Universal Archives of Doc wearing the original shirt (same shirt in I and II). The detail is pretty good, though not in HD. You can actually make out the black square detail pretty clearly.

Attachments

• TFXDoc.jpg
    TFXDoc.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 208
  • Square.jpg
    Square.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 606
Last edited:
OMG!!! YES PLEASE You are GODSEND!!!(y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup:thumbsupThere are more glyphs that we saw on the JD Reimer photos…
Please send us also the BTTF BTS I and II shirt… You are a great help

I know I'm showing up a little late to this party and you guys are already clearly on your way to reproducing the Nike version of Doc Brown's Chinese symbols shirt. A buddy of mine tipped me off to this thread, hoping that I would have some insight.

My team and I built the DeLorean Time Machine for the Nike commercial and we were there for the whole shoot. We also got to do a sweet photo shoot with Christopher Lloyd dressed as Doc in the car. I doubt there are any better HD photos of that shirt than the ones JD Raimer took at the Nike event in Hollywood, but we did take some shots of Christopher Lloyd wearing the Chinese symbol shirt - without the gold jacket, so that might be helpful to you guys.

Lastly, I don't want to derail your Nike version of the shirt project, so you'll have to tell me if you also want the BTTF behind the scenes photos from part I and II that we have from the Universal Archives of Doc wearing the original shirt (same shirt in I and II). The detail is pretty good, though not in HD. You can actually make out the black square detail pretty clearly.

... Lastly, I don't want to derail your Nike version of the shirt project, so you'll have to tell me if you also want the BTTF behind the scenes photos from part I and II that we have from the Universal Archives of Doc wearing the original shirt (same shirt in I and II). The detail is pretty good, though not in HD. You can actually make out the black square detail pretty clearly.

Yes, please! If the details on those photos are better than on my screen caps, I would like to see them, so I might draw accurate vector graphics of the symbols and the black flower. :)

Ok, here are two Still Photographer shots taken during the filming of BTTF II. It's the same shirt as Part I, but as you already know, not the same shirt as the Nike commercial. From these two photos, you can see both sides of the flower pretty clearly, and both sides of the square symbol as well. I hope all these new images help.

Attachments

• Doc 2 - Part II.jpg
    Doc 2 - Part II.jpg
    550 KB · Views: 165
  • Doc - Part II.jpg
    Doc - Part II.jpg
    794.4 KB · Views: 383
  • Flower01.jpg
    Flower01.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Flower 02.jpg
    Flower 02.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Square 01.jpg
    Square 01.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Square 02.jpg
    Square 02.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 139
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back