Doc Brown's 2015 Red Chinese Shirt

But what do you mean with original? I would say the 1989 shirt is the original, since it was first seen on screen. So the research has to start anew, which would be much harder to do, since there only exist a few scenes for it, and with luck some BTS or promo pics.

@Conny: Did I ever say, I love you? :love I haven't seen this clear pic of Doc, nor did I find it on Google pics search :facepalm That makes it hundred times easier to indentify. "Love" is even 3x times there, a regular and bold one. After the third love from first row, there's a sealword as the red colored one.

Will post later the pics.

These are the symbols that i was able to find on the shirt
mrken.jpg

I guess you have this picture ?:
tiny1.jpg

I've just made some screen caps of the red shirt and analyzed them. The original 1985/89 shirt has 18 different
characters (the black one included) - three columns with six characters in each column. I've tried to find the best shots
of each character and here is the result. @YenChih Lin: maybe you can recognize the characters?!

attachment.php

In the second movie we can see two different shirts: the same one as at the end of the first movie and a second one
with the same characters, but they are upside down. Here is a screen cap of the second shirt:

attachment.php

Hi Roland, the first batch of words are all upside down, I can flip them. And fortunately, it seems that they have all the calligraphy style, not a mixture of styles - which was a pain to gather them together. I need help, I will drop a mail to kevinericon, he's faster with chinese, since I am a oversea chinese and seldomly use a so called BIG5 keyboard entry for chinese characters, and since my friend is residing in Taiwan, he can faster type them here as I can.

attachment.php

I think this one is upside down. The second picture is actually the correct one

<EDIT> oh well, you beat me to it

Contec: that is just beautiful

Any prize for who comes up with most of them? :p

Anyway Yen Chih brought this to my attention, and ask me to have a go with it. I'm not sure if you can see chinese characters or not but here goes.

樹饗羅耍王花
響(shape too strange to distinquish so just a guess) 常 爹(this one is too fuzzy) 行 請, and the black square looks like a stamp
精國祇聲鐘舍

All the characters are upside down, and it's not typed but written with a writing brush.

Keep up the pace guys, this is fantastic work! At this point, I'm happy with whichever version can be more accurately (easily?) replicated.

Again, fantastic work! I'm really looking forward to printing this up and physically making the shirt.

-Magnoli

Keep up the pace guys, this is fantastic work! At this point, I'm happy with whichever version can be more accurately (easily?) replicated.

Again, fantastic work! I'm really looking forward to printing this up and physically making the shirt.

-Magnoli
:thumbsup
While you are at it, maybe you can try your hand on the gold coat? That one is the next project im going to do. The inside pattern has bamboo leafs on.

You guys are doing a fantastic job of pulling together all of this info. Looking forward to seeing how Indy's replica turns out!

I hate to be the bearer of discouragement, but as long as we don't have higher resolution pics of the original '89 shirt, I am about to give up, since it's very very hard to impossible to find that six letter black/white seal and the rest of the words…

The 2011 is a bit easier to do…

Let's do the 2011 then. It's a very nice clean design and let's face it... it was made closer to 2015 anyway. ;)

And we're working on the yellow coat right now. If you've got the interior design worked out, shoot me an e-mail as I made a simplified version as I didn't want to spent too much time on it. If you've got something better, I'd love to use it!

Thanks,
Magnoli

Let's do the 2011 then. ...

Or we might take this font and do the 1985/89 shirt. Not exactly the same, but very close. ;)
(sorry if the translations are bad - that's a Google translation)

Thanks to kevinericon for detecting the characters. :)

attachment.php

I'm not a friend of bad comprimises Roland, altough we got many words on the 89 shirt together, but not all. The '11 shirt is much better to do since there's a good source. I thought you were a details fanatics?

Last edited:
I'm not a friend of bad comprimises Roland, altough we got many words on the 89 shirt together, but not all. The '11 shirt is much better to do since there's a good source. I thought you were a details fanatics?

Since we found out, that the commercial shirt has completely different characters and even the black flower is different, I think it's the worse compromise to reproduce that shirt instead of using a similar font and reproduce the original shirt. To be honest: both compromises are bad. So what can we do? I could modify the font characters to better match the original ones, but it's difficult if you can't read chinese.

Since we found out, that the commercial shirt has completely different characters and even the black flower is different, I think it's the worse compromise to reproduce that shirt instead of using a similar font and reproduce the original shirt. To be honest: both compromises are bad. So what can we do? I could modify the font characters to better match the original ones, but it's difficult if you can't read chinese.

Maybe make them both?, First make the 2011 one, then we keep on working on the movie versions until we feel it's Ok.

This is one of the font used on the shirt. You can download it here:
https://sites.google.com/site/lovetheword365/zi-ti/2

I had a very similar font and I typed out some words.
%E5%8B%98%E4%BA%AD%E6%B5%81.png

This site for some free seal character. The ones in the seal is 宜官內財.
×­Êé×Ö¿âÏÂÔØ£¬Ãâ·ÑÏÂÔØ×ÖÌ壬ÖÐÎÄ×ÖÌå-Ä£°åÍõ×Ö¿â

And if you want to make the 1985 shirt, here's a website you can inquire about hand written characters, it has vector graphic for the characters written by ancient brush writers. I'm unfamiliar with the english version so I'm not sure if it is easy to use.

CNS11643 Chinese Standard Interchange Code Master Ideographs Server

@kevin: Yeah I'm already using the bulletin style font, so I typed those shown, unfortunately some fonts doesn't seem to work under Ubuntu - can I send them to you so that you can type the seal scripted parts? What kind of vector program do you use?

@Conny: that'll be the best procedure to do, the 2011 version and when all characters are indentified the 1989 version.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back