Disney wants more 'Star Wars' in its theme parks

Yes. I'm sure this is beyond the extent of what they wanted. Merchandise sales, food sales, etc. have got to be down. There's no blockouts now except for the regular ones. So for the time being, this is just what it is.

dsc03952.jpg

Just got back from DHS Galaxys Edge, and I definitely had some “childlike wonderment” moments especially when winding through the bazaar and seeing the Falcon for the first time. The ride is a lot of fun, I did single rider about 8 times and got all the roles except the right hand pilot. Eventually I’ll brave the queue but I didn’t have 2 hours of solo waiting in me today.

The production design is great because they always do a great job with that, but I walked away feeling that a new planet was a bad choice. I’m a big WWOHP fan, and a large part of that experience is the shared love for specific locations within the franchise and now in the parks. Galaxy’s Edge fails that for me regardless of what trilogy it’s set in.

Personally I think an occupied Tatooine post ANH or even after ROTJ would have been the best choice for them. Synergy-wise though I could settle for Jakku if Disney HAD TO make it Sequel based.

I walked around wishing Dok Ondar was Unkar Plutt or Watto on their respective worlds. The cantina could have been THE cantina, where instead of made up stories about how Padme got in a gunfight we can see the booth where Han shot Greedo and the associated damage. Jawas working on scrapped vehicles and droids, the marketplace at Mos Eisley etc.

I think Rise of the Resistance will be a good ride, but the land currently feels like it could become Guardians of the Galaxy land without much issue (short of replacing the Falcon with the Benatar)

I don’t think it’s a flop, or Star Wars is dead, I just think there’s 40 years of good will toward the OT era and it’s largely going to waste in this land.

The comparison with Pandora is easy to draw, but the difference I see is with that they took a forgettable movie and made it into an interesting land, whereas in Galaxys Edge they’ve made interesting movies into a forgettable land.

Disney dropped the ball. You go to Harry Potter at Universal and you get Harry Potter locations that you know and recognize...

I get they want to focus and capitalize on the new trilogy and its heroes/villains and expand to a larger galaxy. But, newsflash -- Mickey Mouse first appeared 90 years ago and he's still the main attraction at these theme parks - so there's nothing wrong with showing a little more love to the Star Wars characters and designs that have been around for 40.

I don't think it would be too traumatic to see different Stormtrooper types around the corner from one another or to show us probably the most iconic and recognizable evil character of the last 40 years... Darth freaking Vader.

With the creative minds at Disney, it should not have been too difficult to combine the different Star Wars eras.

Disney dropped the ball. You go to Harry Potter at Universal and you get Harry Potter locations that you know and recognize...

I get they want to focus and capitalize on the new trilogy and its heroes/villains and expand to a larger galaxy. But, newsflash -- Mickey Mouse first appeared 90 years ago and he's still the main attraction at these theme parks - so there's nothing wrong with showing a little more love to the Star Wars characters and designs that have been around for 40.

I don't think it would be too traumatic to see different Stormtrooper types around the corner from one another or to show us probably the most iconic and recognizable evil character of the last 40 years... Darth freaking Vader.

With the creative minds at Disney, it should not have been too difficult to combine the different Star Wars eras.
I feel that setting the land in a fictional locale was the best choice as it gave Disney almost complete creative control over the land. If they set it on an existing planet then they have to slavishly follow every little detail and nuance of the world otherwise they'd upset the fans., Even if they tried their best you know there still would be complaints from all of the rivet and stitch counters about how X is off by .0005mm, or the shade of color used on a building is incorrect, they used Pantone XYX when it should actually be Pantone ABC instead. So no matter what they do fans are going to be upset.

Ultimately, I see the setting both in terms of locale and timeline as looking to the future as the sequels are what will be Star Wars for most of the kids growing up today. These kids are going to be begging and pleading to their mommies and daddies to take them to Disneyland of the Magic Kingdom so they can to see Galaxy's Edge and I bet they're gobbling it all up. They don't care that this planet doesn't exist in any of the movies, or that it's set in new trilogy timeline, all they will see is Star Wars and be wowed by it all. Below a certain age I'm pretty sure that many kids will almost instantly forget that they are in Anaheim, CA or Orlando, FL and instead think that they've been transported to a galaxy far, far, a way and a long time ago. When I took one my nephews when was pretty young (less than 5) to CA Adventure and Carsland for the first time he was floored and thought that he really was in Radiator Springs. I'm pretty sure the same thing is happening to all of the young kids going to Galaxy's Edge now and they'll have happy memories of it for the rest of their lives and when they grow up and have kids of their own, they're going to want to take them to the place that they have many happy memories from their childhood.

The painstaking details are what earn the love of the fans, even at Potter where they make some concessions for scale or space the locations and experiences sell because they still feel like what we remember the locations looking like.

With creating Batuu they have taken the easy way out and in some respects disappointed a lot of fans in an equal but opposite way.

I think on paper, creating a new land is a great idea. In reality, the mass public - which doesn't care much about the intricate details... wants what's familiar to them. If we can add seats the cockpit of the Falcon, why not add seating to the Mos Eisley Cantina?

Needless to say I still can't wait to get to WDW and see "Star Wars Land." The planned late November trip is being pushed back to wait until Rise of the Resistance is completed... hoping to take the nieces and nephew early next year.

I feel that setting the land in a fictional locale was the best choice as it gave Disney almost complete creative control over the land. If they set it on an existing planet then they have to slavishly follow every little detail and nuance of the world otherwise they'd upset the fans., Even if they tried their best you know there still would be complaints from all of the rivet and stitch counters about how X is off by .0005mm, or the shade of color used on a building is incorrect, they used Pantone XYX when it should actually be Pantone ABC instead. So no matter what they do fans are going to be upset.

Ultimately, I see the setting both in terms of locale and timeline as looking to the future as the sequels are what will be Star Wars for most of the kids growing up today. These kids are going to be begging and pleading to their mommies and daddies to take them to Disneyland of the Magic Kingdom so they can to see Galaxy's Edge and I bet they're gobbling it all up. They don't care that this planet doesn't exist in any of the movies, or that it's set in new trilogy timeline, all they will see is Star Wars and be wowed by it all. Below a certain age I'm pretty sure that many kids will almost instantly forget that they are in Anaheim, CA or Orlando, FL and instead think that they've been transported to a galaxy far, far, a way and a long time ago. When I took one my nephews when was pretty young (less than 5) to CA Adventure and Carsland for the first time he was floored and thought that he really was in Radiator Springs. I'm pretty sure the same thing is happening to all of the young kids going to Galaxy's Edge now and they'll have happy memories of it for the rest of their lives and when they grow up and have kids of their own, they're going to want to take them to the place that they have many happy memories from their childhood.

meh, i can live with 'generic planet x' for those basic reasons. I can't go along with all ST. The OT built the empire. The ST will be a footnote in it's history at best.

If you really think about it the land could have been so much better. They chose to utilize a portion of both parks which limited them the space. All we got was some planet with a strip mall.

I'm sure Disney has the means to create an entire new park for Star Wars. There is so much missed opportunity. There could be an area where people could walk the Halls of the Death Star. Visit Hoth and see 1:1 At-at walkers or even make them a ride! They could really submerge people into the Star Wars universe. There could be a Speeder biker chase ride on Endor. They need Vader involved because anything Vader these days sells out. I see it at my local stores. Limiting space at their existing parks and limiting to the ST really hinders the possibilities that are out there. The whole Star Wars experience could be a lot better.

My thing is they built a full scale Millennium Falcon and you can't even go inside it and sit in the cockpit. That was the only thing I was interested in doing.

Each trilogy era could have its own admission cost with in the park and that would really make people return and pay so they could see the other two eras.

You could chose to fight with the Republic or separatist, Rebels or the Empire, the resistance or the first order. Depending on what era you decide to go into. This just coming off the top of my head.

I was excited at first for GE but as time goes on it just starting to feel meh for me as a hard core star wars fan. It's some lame planet with a strip mall. Absolutely no nostalgia or familiarity(or even the grandscale), aside from a few items and decore, that could really submerge you into the Galaxy we have known for 40 years.

My thing is they built a full scale Millennium Falcon and you can't even go inside it and sit in the cockpit. That was the only thing I was interested in doing.

I find that odd. I do t understand why we can't go inside it.

I don't think that's practical... the lines to get into the actual Falcon just wouldn't make it feasible.

There is the pilot the Falcon ride and I'm hoping that through Disney magic there's the feeling that we are getting onto the Falcon.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back