Disguise Thor Mjolnir Upgrade

Wow Luke! I've had mine all set to paint for ages but with the ridiculous weather we have had in the UK I haven't got round to paint yet! It's been far too cold! So I'm gonna try use this method! Thanks for sharing this!
Tom

Certainly give it a try and post up how it goes.

I did the other capstone today. Here's a shot with the cold cast aluminum medical scanner (after buffing) that shows a bit of comparison. The scanner looks good on it's on, but next to the hammer looks plastic.

2gu049f.jpg

I've been debating getting that medical scanner. But the comparison shows that's hand down the method you have adopted is awesome. I have ordered some paste and will get some silver on this week. When you say you used paper towel what was that? As we in England have a different definition I'm sure!! Haha!

I've been debating getting that medical scanner. But the comparison shows that's hand down the method you have adopted is awesome. I have ordered some paste and will get some silver on this week. When you say you used paper towel what was that? As we in England have a different definition I'm sure!! Haha!

The scanner is really neat and worth it, get you one, you'll like it.

Paper towels like these: http://earth911.com/content/uploads/2012/05/papertowel.jpg

You could use cotton cloths, etc. as well.

The scanner is really neat and worth it, get you one, you'll like it.

Paper towels like these: http://earth911.com/content/uploads/2012/05/papertowel.jpg

You could use cotton cloths, etc. as well.

I call that kitchen roll! Sorry man I don't mean to be an ass! Paper towels to me are these horrible green things that break up soon as they see water! Thanks for the advice and all and ill be sure to show u my results! No doubt will be no where near as cool as yours! But for my handle I have some tan leather I'm wrapping round, just haven't fully figured the raised grips yet!

Certainly give it a try and post up how it goes.

I did the other capstone today. Here's a shot with the cold cast aluminum medical scanner (after buffing) that shows a bit of comparison. The scanner looks good on it's on, but next to the hammer looks plastic.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2gu049f.jpg

My hammer is all sprayed silver ready to try this, so I had a test on a piece of perspex before I cover Mjolnir. I found that when handling it the polish still wiped off a little so I used some clear matt lacquer to seal it in. Here is the test piece...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371199890.591835.jpg

Yea, the paste is water based, so you can clean it off easily if needed. On a really smooth surface it cab be rubbed off.

Are you getting much shine with it during the rubbing/buffing? Did the clear take some of the reflection away?

Your test piece looks more like what I did on my Iron Man faceplate to mimic a brushed metallic surface.

Yea, the paste is water based, so you can clean it off easily if needed. On a really smooth surface it cab be rubbed off.

Are you getting much shine with it during the rubbing/buffing? Did the clear take some of the reflection away?

Your test piece looks more like what I did on my Iron Man faceplate to mimic a brushed metallic surface.

Yeah its got a decent shine, but I want to try seal the surface so the anyone picking it up doesn't mess with the way it looks (sweaty hands etc on water based product). The lacquer hasn't taken away to much sheen to be fair.
On a side note, did you apply the same stuff on a gold painted iron man faceplate? how does that look?

Yeah its got a decent shine, but I want to try seal the surface so the anyone picking it up doesn't mess with the way it looks (sweaty hands etc on water based product). The lacquer hasn't taken away to much sheen to be fair.
On a side note, did you apply the same stuff on a gold painted iron man faceplate? how does that look?

I used it just to get a brushed metal/streaking effect on the faceplate, didn't try to polish with it. It is over dupli-color sunburst gold.
http://www.therpf.com/f24/ironman-m...-new-led-eyes-124100/index27.html#post2583666

I just thought I'd share the final paint job on my hammer. The handle isn't attached yet as I'm in the process of laying leather on it. I used Luke's method of stove polish then added a laquer gloss coat to protect the effect.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371928301.152353.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371928310.309567.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371928319.493790.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371928330.327265.jpg

And this is a comparison with my steel mark one helmet. It's not too far off! I hope...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371928369.760591.jpg

Looks great, nice work. :thumbsup

My handle from Fulvio came in today, so hoping that in the next couple of weeks I'll get time to work on it and finish everything up.

Looks great, nice work. :thumbsup

My handle from Fulvio came in today, so hoping that in the next couple of weeks I'll get time to work on it and finish everything up.

I did not know he sold the parts separately! I may have to make an enquiry about the handle! Post up a picture of how it looks when you get done!

Hi guys. Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread but I'm currently working on exactly this, the plastic prop Mjolnir by Disguise. I've cleaned up the mould line with some car body filler and fine sand paper, but I wanted to know about the resin and sand mixture you filled it with. What sort of resin and resin to sand ratio did you use? Did this not make the head of the hammer _really_ heavy? It's quite wobbly at the moment and I, like you, tried expanding foam in an earlier prop (an axe) and it went horribly, horribly wrong.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back